Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My observations From week 1 to now.. Some input on Coach Philbin and the team.

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

My observations From week 1 to now.. Some input on Coach Philbin and the team.

First off il start with philbin
    -Excellent Head coach, has done well keeping the team together and bringing us back to respectable levels around the league. 4-3 with less talent than last year under philbin, 0-7 with more talent under sparano, the numbers clearly show why philbin is our long term HC. He was picked carefully and has my approval and support. I think hes the guy to lead us back to contending, i love seeing coach philbin pissed off on the sidelines dropping some f bombs, lmao. Calm, collective, but that can change in an instant when things arent going right. I love how we fought hard against the niners and competed with a superbowl caliber team til the end, it was far from an asswhooping but they did beat us, we went out swinging though, we threw deep atleast 5+ times in the 4th quarter and would not quit. Sparano would never play to win like that, i hate to bring him up but its hard to forget about that guy all those painful football games we had to endure under him.

QB- Tannehill Our Franchise qb Without a doubt, needs a ton of time to develop but im a believer in tannehill. He has missed some throws and strugged but we all expected that to him. Dont know why ppl are surprised when a rookie struggles? With another offseason under him next year and a years experience, i think tanne improves alot more and starts to show it next season. You gave chad henne four years ppl, give tanne atleast 2 before calling for his head.

RB Position

-Reggie bush I'd like to keep him, i think he has made some good strides under philbin, finally starting to see reggie run straight ahead without the dancing that has hurt us badly. Dont know if we can afford to keep him but if we can, i'd keep him. Decision is on irelands.

-Lamar Miller 1st round potential talent, looked impressive with the few chances he has got this year. I see him being our permanent franchise RB barring any setbacks.

Daniel Thomas im not a fan of DT at all and if it was up to me i'd cut ties. Lack of vision, and the lack of getting the most out of his runs bothers me. With his frame he should not be going down so easy, i feel like he doesnt give us all he has and goes down after the first initial contact. Often i see him trying to juke defenders when hes more of the run over you type of RB but doesnt seem to be his thing. After the concussions, he seems to be avoiding contact. Move on.

Thigpen Stock up, i know he had the fumble against the niners but this is a talent we cant let get away because of 1 fumble. Bess even had a few fumbles as special teamer a few years ago and now look at him.

WR

Bess - Needs to be moved back to his position, has been one of my favorite players on this team for years outside of vontae.

Hartline - Would hate to see him go, a great 2nd option at wr and always gives you 110%.

Apart from these 2, theres not much else to say about the WRs, its a position that has to be upgraded via free agency or the draft.

The Defense

-Misi, Great tackler, has really made our defense better against the run. Great pick by ireland.

-Burnett I'd like to get an upgrade for this dude if we can, hes solid but just looks lost out there at times and very sluggish.

-Dansby Stock up, playing injured all season and still makes a great impact on our defense.

-Sean smith Cut ties, i thought smith was our guy early on but he doesnt bring it on every play, takes plays off and looks lazy out there.

-Carroll Solid, i'd lock him up, not a gamebreaker by no means by i like the effort that he brings to the defense.

-Reshad Jones- Future Prowbowler and a gamebreaker, i called this a steal the moment we took him in the 5th round. Glad to have him.

-Odrick I know alot of ppl been dissappointed with odrick lately but dont give up on him yet, saw some great things from him against the niners. One play Odrick completely Trucked his blocker and would have got a sack had wake not gotten to the qb first. Also had many more hurries in the game and finished with a sack. Impressed with what he brought in the niners game.

Thats pretty much it for now, Hope we have a good draft next year and we can improve this offense. I think the defense is good but our offense is not good. Offense needs weapons, fast.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agree with most.

The team has a lot of positions to upgrade but we really could be as little as 3 positions away from contending for playoffs as soon as next season. A dynamic wr, a really good cb and a free safety, the problem is these guys don't just grow on trees. If I were Ireland I would do everything in my power to hit on these in the draft by trading up if we can or by doubling down and take 2 or 3 wrs and dbs with the first 5 picks.

Hopefully Vernon and Egnew come along next season to upgrade the pass rush and TE positions. We'll likely have to draft a guard. Get a tackle in free agency or franchise Long if we have to.

Things could be looking up next season, if Ireland can pull his head out of his ass and get us a few playmakers that is.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jacksonville
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great write up I also agree with most and enjoyed the read. Critics will be critics and my disagreements are below.

-While I agree that so far Philibin is a better coach than Sparano, you are cherry picking the W-L record. Last season we started 0-7 with Sparano but finished 6-10. This year we started faster but have started to lose after the first seven games this year. I believe that we go 6-10 again this year.

- Reggie. I would like to keep him too but only if the coaches figure how to use him correctly.

- Burnett. Did you see him play against the niners? The man shut Vernon Davis down completely. We need him for coverage. He stays.

- Sean Smith. Stays because we need him too. We have no depth at DB and can't afford to lose another body but I would like to upgrade too.

That's it. I pretty much concur with everything else you said. Great job.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd like to see the RB's used more in the passing game up until this past week against SF, there were just a few passing attempts per game thrown in the way of the RB's. That needs to change in the future. Bush's talent was wasted in this area.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Codemaster View Post
    Great write up I also agree with most and enjoyed the read. Critics will be critics and my disagreements are below.

-While I agree that so far Philibin is a better coach than Sparano, you are cherry picking the W-L record. Last season we started 0-7 with Sparano but finished 6-10. This year we started faster but have started to lose after the first seven games this year. I believe that we go 6-10 again this year.

- Reggie. I would like to keep him too but only if the coaches figure how to use him correctly.

- Burnett. Did you see him play against the niners? The man shut Vernon Davis down completely. We need him for coverage. He stays.

- Sean Smith. Stays because we need him too. We have no depth at DB and can't afford to lose another body but I would like to upgrade too.

That's it. I pretty much concur with everything else you said. Great job.
    eh its philbin 1st year as a HC in the nfl, imagine when he has a year under his belt, and more talent. I think this franchise is gettin ready to turn the corner under philbin. We need our gm to cooperate though and get philbin what he needs from a talent standpoint.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: My observations From week 1 to now.. Some input on Coach Philbin and the team.

Good write up but harsh on Burnett who is a damn good player. Smith wil be a good 2nd CB long term.
    Last edited by uk_dolfan; 12-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So sad how no one on our roster commands the words House hold name wont even talk about as everyone knows he greatness.

Man last time we had that was with surtain Madison zt n jt it feels like those days were 30 yrs ago
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SR 7 View Post
    So sad how no one on our roster commands the words House hold name wont even talk about as everyone knows he greatness.

Man last time we had that was with surtain Madison zt n jt it feels like those days were 30 yrs ago
    jimmy johnson knew talent when he saw it and snatched it. Ireland on the other hand has trouble finding out what talent really is.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    First off il start with philbin
    -Excellent Head coach, has done well keeping the team together and bringing us back to respectable levels around the league. 4-3 with less talent than last year under philbin, 0-7 with more talent under sparano, the numbers clearly show why philbin is our long term HC. He was picked carefully and has my approval and support. I think hes the guy to lead us back to contending, i love seeing coach philbin pissed off on the sidelines dropping some f bombs, lmao. Calm, collective, but that can change in an instant when things arent going right. I love how we fought hard against the niners and competed with a superbowl caliber team til the end, it was far from an asswhooping but they did beat us, we went out swinging though, we threw deep atleast 5+ times in the 4th quarter and would not quit. Sparano would never play to win like that, i hate to bring him up but its hard to forget about that guy all those painful football games we had to endure under him.

QB- Tannehill Our Franchise qb Without a doubt, needs a ton of time to develop but im a believer in tannehill. He has missed some throws and strugged but we all expected that to him. Dont know why ppl are surprised when a rookie struggles? With another offseason under him next year and a years experience, i think tanne improves alot more and starts to show it next season. You gave chad henne four years ppl, give tanne atleast 2 before calling for his head.

RB Position

-Reggie bush I'd like to keep him, i think he has made some good strides under philbin, finally starting to see reggie run straight ahead without the dancing that has hurt us badly. Dont know if we can afford to keep him but if we can, i'd keep him. Decision is on irelands.

-Lamar Miller 1st round potential talent, looked impressive with the few chances he has got this year. I see him being our permanent franchise RB barring any setbacks.

Daniel Thomas im not a fan of DT at all and if it was up to me i'd cut ties. Lack of vision, and the lack of getting the most out of his runs bothers me. With his frame he should not be going down so easy, i feel like he doesnt give us all he has and goes down after the first initial contact. Often i see him trying to juke defenders when hes more of the run over you type of RB but doesnt seem to be his thing. After the concussions, he seems to be avoiding contact. Move on.

Thigpen Stock up, i know he had the fumble against the niners but this is a talent we cant let get away because of 1 fumble. Bess even had a few fumbles as special teamer a few years ago and now look at him.

WR

Bess - Needs to be moved back to his position, has been one of my favorite players on this team for years outside of vontae.

Hartline - Would hate to see him go, a great 2nd option at wr and always gives you 110%.

Apart from these 2, theres not much else to say about the WRs, its a position that has to be upgraded via free agency or the draft.

The Defense

-Misi, Great tackler, has really made our defense better against the run. Great pick by ireland.

-Burnett I'd like to get an upgrade for this dude if we can, hes solid but just looks lost out there at times and very sluggish.

-Dansby Stock up, playing injured all season and still makes a great impact on our defense.

-Sean smith Cut ties, i thought smith was our guy early on but he doesnt bring it on every play, takes plays off and looks lazy out there.

-Carroll Solid, i'd lock him up, not a gamebreaker by no means by i like the effort that he brings to the defense.

-Reshad Jones- Future Prowbowler and a gamebreaker, i called this a steal the moment we took him in the 5th round. Glad to have him.

-Odrick I know alot of ppl been dissappointed with odrick lately but dont give up on him yet, saw some great things from him against the niners. One play Odrick completely Trucked his blocker and would have got a sack had wake not gotten to the qb first. Also had many more hurries in the game and finished with a sack. Impressed with what he brought in the niners game.

Thats pretty much it for now, Hope we have a good draft next year and we can improve this offense. I think the defense is good but our offense is not good. Offense needs weapons, fast.
    I'm sorry but saying that Philbin is an excellent head coach and that Tanny is " without a doubt " a franchise QB are just two ridiculous statements at this point. Can they be? Sure. Will they be? We have no idea. I respect you as a poster and agree with a lot of the other stuff you said.....but those statements are premature to say the least.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mega-fin-love View Post
    I'm sorry but saying that Philbin is an excellent head coach and that Tanny is " without a doubt " a franchise QB are just two ridiculous statements at this point. Can they be? Sure. Will they be? We have no idea. I respect you as a poster and agree with a lot of the other stuff you said.....but those statements are premature to say the least.
    Thats my opinion, you can disagree thats your choice but its what i believe.
    Quote Quote