Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Sanders to the dolphins??!

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto
    Thanks / No Thanks

Barry Sanders to the dolphins??!

Was watching a football life.

Jimmy Johnson had a "Herschel Walker" type of trade.

The lions wouldn't because they wanted to him to play for them or nobody.

marino and sanders... Man we could've won't 2-3 SB's.

always what ifs I know... Didn't know till now watching that phins were really
    pusing to get him
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its a travesty what the Lions did to Sanders. Such a waste of a huge talent.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Even if they had gotten Sanders, I doubt they would have won a Super Bowl. The lack of a running game was far from the only issue on those teams back then. How about the defense that was all-world when it didn't matter but completely crumbled any time it did?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterNorth View Post
    Even if they had gotten Sanders, I doubt they would have won a Super Bowl. The lack of a running game was far from the only issue on those teams back then. How about the defense that was all-world when it didn't matter but completely crumbled any time it did?
    The running game would've hepled our defense out they wouldn't have been on the field as much. It definitely would've maximize our chances
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danstilldaman View Post
    The running game would've hepled our defense out they wouldn't have been on the field as much. It definitely would've maximize our chances
    Barry was never a move the chains keep the D on the bench type of back. He would have obviously helped our cause but his contributions would have been far greater on the Offensive side.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th And Drunk View Post
    Barry was never a move the chains keep the D on the bench type of back. He would have obviously helped our cause but his contributions would have been far greater on the Offensive side.
    Sanders was the one type of back that wouldve been a good thing for the phins while Marino was playing.

For years Ive heard the argument that all Marino needed was a running game and he wouldve won SBs. To me, this is absolute bull****. The last time I checked, a running game was part of the offense. When Dan Marino is your QB, you are good on offense. In fact, youre so good on offense, that trying to make a better running game wouldve been a total waste. All getting a good running game would do is take the ball out of the hands of the best player in the world. To me, that seems counter productive.

No. What Marino needed was a DEFENSE! Just check all the years that the phins had a good defense before the late 90's. Each of those years were the ones Marino was able to take them deep in the playoffs. Give him the #1 defense that Montana, Aikman, and Young enjoyed with those 2 SB teams and I promise you that Dan Marino wouldve delivered SB titles without a running game. When Marino is your QB, youre scoring plenty of points with or without a running game. What you need is to keep the other team from scoring so many points. While I understand that a rushing attack can limit how long your defense may be on the field, the fact is if they are any good, they are going to get off the field themselves by stopping the opposing offense. In turn, that will put the ball back in Marino's hands which will of course result in touchdowns and victories.

Having said all of that, Sanders was the one type of back who couldve been very useful to Marino. Just giving Sanders 15 carries a game wouldve been worth it. For one thing, he is going to hit the occasional homerun himself, therefore making it less of a problem not just letting Marino throw it. But, also any potential handoff to that guy is a SERIOUS threat to the opposing defense. Just the fact that they wouldve had to honor that so much more than handing it off to a regular type of running back, even a successful one, gives Marino that much more ability to harm them with his passes. Point being, handing it off to THAT GUY as opposed to another running back, even a good one, would not have been wasting opportunities for Marino. Sanders was the one guy who could equal the threat of Marino throwing when the ball is in his hands.

Any other RB though....... **** all that just, I wouldve just let Marino throw it 60 times and wished the opposing defense good luck.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you people do remember marino handing off the ball dont you? he couldnt sell a fake to save his life at the end...I loved the man, he was my childhood hero, but lets be honest, when jimmy got there he should have drafted moss and let dan throw it...

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Barry would have really opened the field up for Dan, I mean how can a safety cover if he tears his ACL?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqFksT8wvXY
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oh man, I remember this. Rumors were swirling about where he'd be playing, and talk of a trade with the Dolphins. I was so excited/anxious...then Barry made the decision to retire
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    yea i remember hearing about this when it happened. barry wanted to be a dolphin. the steelers were also after barry at the same time.
    Quote Quote