Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franchising Long?!?!

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Not that I care what we do going forward but why did it make sense to pay him $12 Million this season instead of trading him for at least a second and save the $12 million which we could have used to sign a good wr.
    Who was going to trade a draft pick knowing Long was going to be a free agent and could acquire him in the off season
    without losing a draft pick?
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Finding a decent player in any position in the NFL is difficult. It's not limited to OT. Doesn't mean you need to overpay injury-prone underperformers, unless you're a lazy, poor GM. Resigning Long is the easy way, but it doesn't make it the best way to address the position. And considering his obvious health issues, even if we do keep him (for average OT money of course), we still need to start planning for his replacement, because I would be shocked if he ever plays a complete season again.
    But the consequences of letting him walk outweigh the consequences of keeping him. If he walks, we will either be overpaying for a free agent OT who most likely is also an underachiever (since his own team didnt re-sign him), or dafting another OT. I dont want to be wasting more picks on OL in the top half of the draft. We need to draft players that can score, not an OT. Saving picks should always outweigh saving money. We are trying to aquire talent, not cap space.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    But the consequences of letting him walk outweigh the consequences of keeping him. If he walks, we will either be overpaying for a free agent OT who most likely is also an underachiever (since his own team didnt re-sign him), or dafting another OT. I dont want to be wasting more picks on OL in the top half of the draft. We need to draft players that can score, not an OT. Saving picks should always outweigh saving money. We are trying to aquire talent, not cap space.
    I think this is something we're just not going to agree on. I have absolutely no problem with resigning him to what he's worth; what an injury-prone, underperforming LT that can't handle speed rushers and has slipped in run blocking is worth. To me, that's nowhere near what we would pay with a franchise tag and/or resigning him to a top OT contract. Not even close. Simply put, LT should never be your highest paid position. If it is, you are probably a perennial losing team (which we are, so...).

I think it comes down to where you and I place the importance of the position. I simply don't believe that it is one of the most important positions any longer. In the 80's and early 90's (and before), yes, it was. No longer. All I need there is a decent starter. Not even a good one, just decent (please spare me the extremes of Arizona and Colombo). Get me somebody that can start consistently and do his job. If we have to overpay a little, I guarantee it's not as much as Long. If the other OT free agents are asking for more money than Long (they won't be), fine, move Martin over and draft an RT in the middle rounds. Pick up an average OT via FA for depth.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I think this is something we're just not going to agree on. I have absolutely no problem with resigning him to what he's worth; what an injury-prone, underperforming LT that can't handle speed rushers and has slipped in run blocking is worth. To me, that's nowhere near what we would pay with a franchise tag and/or resigning him to a top OT contract. Not even close. Simply put, LT should never be your highest paid position. If it is, you are probably a perennial losing team (which we are, so...).

I think it comes down to where you and I place the importance of the position. I simply don't believe that it is one of the most important positions any longer. In the 80's and early 90's (and before), yes, it was. No longer. All I need there is a decent starter. Not even a good one, just decent (please spare me the extremes of Arizona and Colombo). Get me somebody that can start consistently and do his job. If we have to overpay a little, I guarantee it's not as much as Long. If the other OT free agents are asking for more money than Long (they won't be), fine, move Martin over and draft an RT in the middle rounds. Pick up an average OT via FA for depth.
    Well all I can say is that I've never advocated franchising Long, or even signing him to Joe Thomas money. I think people are going to be surprised at what Jake Long signs for on this team and another team. And for what its worth, Jake Long is not this terrible player everyone makes him out to be. Giving up 4 sacks this year still puts him among the best.

Its not necessarily the importance of the positions, its how hard it is to replace a decent starter at that position. Look at how many free agent OT (thats LT and RT) that hit free egency last year, and tell me how many of those guys could play in a ZBS and are capable of starting on our team long term? I counted 1. That leaves us to the draft, how many OT were drafted in the middle rounds this year that are starting and playing good? I count zero.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    You franchise him and then what? No one is going to trade for him. you either resign yourself to paying long or your resign yourself to 2008 was a waste of a draft.

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Well all I can say is that I've never advocated franchising Long, or even signing him to Joe Thomas money. I think people are going to be surprised at what Jake Long signs for on this team and another team. And for what its worth, Jake Long is not this terrible player everyone makes him out to be. Giving up 4 sacks this year still puts him among the best.

Its not necessarily the importance of the positions, its how hard it is to replace a decent starter at that position. Look at how many free agent OT (thats Lt and RT) that hit free egency last year, and tell me how many of those guys could play in a ZBS and are capable of starting on our team long term? I counted 1. That leaves us to the draft, how many OT were drafted in the middle rounds this year that are starting and playing good? I count zero.
    Again, the extremes. If we don't think he's the greatest LT in the history of football, then clearly we think he's the worst in the history of football. I was very, very clear that I feel he's an average LT; this being when you consider all aspects, such as injury-proneness and inability to handle speed rushers.

And again, you can make that exact same argument (how hard it is to find one) for literally EVERY position. Hell, we listened to that same nonsense regarding the QB position every single year. It's an excuse. Nothing more.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_Duper85 View Post
    Texans let Mario Williams walk, hasn't done them any harm. He went on IR twice as well.
    Texans also drafted Whitney Mercilus as his replacement when they let him walk. Most fans would crucify Ireland if he drafted another 1st round offensive lineman.

I think it might not be a bad idea to franchise Long and to give Yeatman or a low round draft pick a chance to to develop into a starter for 2014.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have confidence that Martin will prove to be fine at LT over the next 4 games (provided he can get past A. Smith this Sunday without too much carnage). At that point, we can have a more informed discussion about the cost/benefit of franchising Jake Long given our vacancy at RT, not LT.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Again, the extremes. If we don't think he's the greatest LT in the history of football, then clearly we think he's the worst in the history of football. I was very, very clear that I feel he's an average LT; this being when you consider all aspects, such as injury-proneness and inability to handle speed rushers.

And again, you can make that exact same argument (how hard it is to find one) for literally EVERY position. Hell, we listened to that same nonsense regarding the QB position every single year. It's an excuse. Nothing more.
    Well I was generalizing the comments on this board - many people have said he is terrible.

And I dont think you can make the case for every position. For example, RBs are some of the least paid players because they are easier to find, yet they are some of the most important players on their teams. OTs aren't paid more than RBs because they are a more important position, they are paid more becuase they are harder to find.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let him walk. Either he accepts a pay reduction commensurate to his performance or he goes.
    Quote Quote