Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franchising Long?!?!

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's a difficult spot, because we're either going to grossly overpay him or get nothing from the huge investment we made in him. If his salary was remotely reasonable you'd hope he can turn his career around, but it's not. Paying him $15 mil after 2 years of mediocre to bad play? Nah. It's better to let him walk and ring up another busted draft. If we manage to deal him in a trade after franchising, I'd be amazed.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    Who was going to trade a draft pick knowing Long was going to be a free agent and could acquire him in the off season
    without losing a draft pick?
    Teams that might feel like they are ready to win a super bowl now (by now I mean preseason) and want a probowl LT protecting their QBs. Chicago, Dallas and the Eagles are 3 teams that immediately come to mind.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dade County
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I honestly believe at least SOME team would want Jake Long, he's declining but he's put up a couple of good years of film. LT is a need for a lot of teams, I just hate the idea of just letting one of our "best" players walk without getting anything in return. If Martin can handle LT I don't want Long back, but I want something for him.. Anything.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Would be funny and kind of sad at the same time if Atlanta ends up signing him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I wouldn't agree that the $15 million would strap this team for the future if it's on a one year deal. Miami has a lot of cap room after the season. If you believe they will spend all that money, or have the ability to do so on other quality players, then perhaps it does 'strap' them in the sense that the $15 million towards Long could go to someone else. However, if there aren't other options that were going to fill that $15 million, then tagging him might be the right move. It really depends on whether the tag is a true 'opportunity cost' to signing another player or not. Now from a business standpoint, the $15 million is another question (i.e. is he at all worth it) but hey, it's not my money.

I guess what it boils down to for me is would I rather see Miami go into next season with $15 million of unused cap space and no Jake Long, or have them tag him if necessary? I guess that also depends on whether you can carry unused cap to 2014 but I'm not aware of the present rules on that.
    i would rather have the best player on the team making the most money. that is not long. you could pick up 2 good FAs with that and draft a RT in the draft...if he doesnt come back at a reasonable rate let someone else sign him for 15 million...
    Quote Originally Posted by jMaL305 View Post
    I honestly believe at least SOME team would want Jake Long, he's declining but he's put up a couple of good years of film. LT is a need for a lot of teams, I just hate the idea of just letting one of our "best" players walk without getting anything in return. If Martin can handle LT I don't want Long back, but I want something for him.. Anything.
    blame the front office for screwing the pooch and not getting him extended where we could trade him...this Front office is aweful

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    If Matt Ryan's contract were ending after this season, would there even be a debate about whether or not he gets franchised in the event Atlanta couldnt get him to agree on a long term contract?
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    Who was going to trade a draft pick knowing Long was going to be a free agent and could acquire him in the off season
    without losing a draft pick?
    They would pay the draft pick in order to insure that THEY were the team that actually got LONG.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Teams that might feel like they are ready to win a super bowl now (by now I mean preseason) and want a probowl LT protecting their QBs. Chicago, Dallas and the Eagles are 3 teams that immediately come to mind.
    It would also guarantee that they would be the team that actually got LONG.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The guy is a name only. His play has been putrid. We need to just accept our failure in drafting him and move on. No need to risk being on the hook for anymore money.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Got a bad feeling about Martin going against Aldon Smith tomorrow.
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote