Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays and trends of Dolphins loss to Patriots

Hybrid View

1. -1
    It's Only Happened ONCE!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Game Day Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays and trends of Dolphins loss to Patriots

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/12/05/19555-coaches-film-breaking-down-the-key-plays-and-trends-of-miami-dolphins-23-16-loss-to-new-england-patriots/

Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays and trends of Miami Dolphins’ 23-16 loss to New England Patriots

by Ben VolinAfter reviewing the coaches tape, a breakdown of key plays and trends from the Dolphins’ 23-16 loss to the Patriots:
    1. Ryan Tannehill: A game of missed opportunities.
    Not to be too harsh on Tannehill, who has had many positive moments this season, but it couldn’t have been fun for him to watch the film, because he missed several opportunities to make big plays and possibly lead his team to victory. He finished 13-for-29 (44.8 percent) for 186 yards.
    “It’s tough when you miss throws you make 99 times out of 100 in practice and even in games,” he said Wednesday. “I was definitely frustrated that night and when I watched the film, but I’m over it now and just ready to make the throws the next time it comes up.”
    Let’s start with the most memorable miss: The bomb to Brian Hartline in the first quarter. Hartline is the receiver up top:

The Dolphins run a playaction pass with the two receivers running vertical routes. See where the safety is located pre-snap:

And look at the safety bite hard on the playaction fake, as well as the cornerback:

Hartline’s got them beat, and it’s not even close:

But the throw is JUST out of his reach:

As for other examples of missed opportunities, there was this slant pass behind Reggie Bush, that could have been a big gain on third down:

This time, Charles Clay is wide open for a big gain on this seam pattern in the third quarter:

But the ball is thrown way behind Clay. He makes the catch for 20 yards, but it could have been so much more:

In the fourth quarter, he threw incomplete to Hartline in the back of the end zone, but look at Anthony Fasano creeping out into the flat wide open:

And one last deep ball to Hartline, who knows he’s wide open right away:

But the ball is badly underthrown this time:

And it’s another missed opportunity for the Dolphins:

SEE ARTICLE FOR REMAINDER OF IMAGES
    You Play to Win the Game!
    In It to Win It!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    VIPeezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reading this was flat out depressing.
    Sig courtesy of @dolfan565

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Taking this in context I'm sure their are missed opportunities by EVERY nfl starting QB and offense in this league. The problem is our team doesn't get a chance at creating much offensive opportunity, thus they are magnified when missed. Does anyone here thinks we took advantage of all of our opportunites when we won games? Likely we didn't but we still won the game so no harm no....When you lose the sky falling! Tanne has made lots of plays for a rookie, I look forward to seeing him make more and I believe he will.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Since 84

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dont forget that two of those plays would have been called back because the refs ****ing hate us.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT FinFan
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinegrabber View Post
    Dont forget that two of those plays would have been called back because the refs ****ing hate us.
    LOL...sad, but true!
    I do agree, every QB has a handful of plays like this each game, but ours are magnified, due to the lack of open plays we have.
    Tanne & Co just can't miss any opportunities, because they are few.

Looking back, everything looks so clear in freeze frame...
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Love these breakdowns.... Sad thing is Tanny left hundreds of yards out on the field.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeworld View Post
    Love these breakdowns.... Sad thing is Tanny left hundreds of yards out on the field.
    You think he's the only NFL starting QB that does/did? The ones that win their games surly they must of collected every last one of those "hundreds of yards on the field?"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    These are the reasons we lost the game flat out. You want me to believe that Tannehill is a franchise QB then he better start making these throws. Some of these are WIDE open throws (2 to Hartline, the slant to Bush, play to Fasano). A franchise QB should be able to recognize and complete at a minimum of 2 of these. Luck, RG3, and even Wilson make throws much harder than this. These are suppose to be GUARANTEED throws in the NFL. If we are to believe in Tannehill this type of **** cant happen. Jury is still out on Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    These are the reasons we lost the game flat out. You want me to believe that Tannehill is a franchise QB then he better start making these throws. Some of these are WIDE open throws (2 to Hartline, the slant to Bush, play to Fasano). A franchise QB should be able to recognize and complete at a minimum of 2 of these. Luck, RG3, and even Wilson make throws much harder than this. These are suppose to be GUARANTEED throws in the NFL. If we are to believe in Tannehill this type of **** cant happen. Jury is still out on Tannehill.
    If thats the case why didn't Brady make those "Franchise QB" throws in the game? Unless by your example he isn't a Franchise QB? Also, in previous games when Tanne made those kinda throws what was he then?

We're quick to label Tanne as inconsistent yet we as fans/posters go back and forth all the time, you should read a game day thread!!!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post
    If thats the case why didn't Brady make those "Franchise QB" throws in the game? Unless by your example he isn't a Franchise QB? Also, in previous games when Tanne made those kinda throws what was he then?

We're quick to label Tanne as inconsistent yet we as fans/posters go back and forth all the time, you should read a game day thread!!!
    Brady may have missed 1 wide open play to Hernandez. You think Brady would miss all 4 of those throws, let alone miss a wide open WR TWICE? You have lost your mind. Brady has made waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more throws than he has missed. Brady has 3 Superbowl Rings. Brady has 10 division titles. Brady has an undefeated regular season under his belt. I can keep going but I think you get my point.

Tom Brady has earned the right to miss a couple throws. Hell he has even earned the right to cost his team a game here or there, but there is no doubt he is a franchise QB.

Your argument is invalid.

I didnt say Tannehill is NOT a franchise QB or he cant be. I just said he needs to make WIDE OPEN plays and that the jury is still out on him. If you think he is the franchise QB we have been waiting for with what you have seen this season, then your standards are low for a franchise QB.
    Quote Quote