Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A sad day for disability rights as a treaty fails

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

A sad day for disability rights as a treaty fails

I could gag and throw up on these Republicans. This is a total farce.

This happened because Republican senators, including Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, decided the treaty was a threat to U.S. sovereignty or a threat to home-schoolers, or, for those up for election in 2014 and fearing a challenge from the tea party right, perhaps a threat to their careers.
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion...71.html?ipad=y
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Was talking about this in another thread.

As amusing as the conspiracy theories were behind this vote(and they were damn funny), this entire situation left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Bob Dole, who has apparently been suffering from bad health, left his bed to appear in the Senate for the vote. That he sat there in a wheelchair as they voted against this measure was a bit much.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The do-nothing Senate that hasn't been able to pass a budget for several years, voted not to reinforce US law with a UN treaty? I don't understand why this is unexpected or a bad thing. Do our laws mean less if not duplicated by a UN treaty? While this might be meaningful for those countries without such laws, would it really make any difference in the US?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Was talking about this in another thread.

As amusing as the conspiracy theories were behind this vote(and they were damn funny), this entire situation left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Bob Dole, who has apparently been suffering from bad health, left his bed to appear in the Senate for the vote. That he sat there in a wheelchair as they voted against this measure was a bit much.
    Sorry Spesh. Didn't know you already opened another thread. Mods can merge them though.

There was a time when this country was proud that other countries were trying to imitate us or when we would 'export' humanity. The Republican party is a friggin joke, run by uneductated and stupid right wing and religious extremists.

And you asked how stupid can they be? GOP Senator Mike Lee:
    I and many of my constituents who home-school or send their children to religious schools have justifiable doubt that a foreign body based in Geneva, Switzerland, should be deciding what is best for a child at home in Utah.
    Earth to Lee, earth to Lee: The UN is headquartered in New frigging York. And it is not a foreign body either. It is an international union.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    There was a time when this country was proud that other countries were trying to imitate us or when we would 'export' humanity.
    I guess those who represent us didn't see the need for us to imitate ourselves.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Sorry Spesh. Didn't know you already opened another thread. Mods can merge them though.

There was a time when this country was proud that other countries were trying to imitate us or when we would 'export' humanity. The Republican party is a friggin joke, run by uneductated and stupid right wing and religious extremists.

And you asked how stupid can they be? GOP Senator Mike Lee:

Earth to Lee, earth to Lee: The UN is headquartered in New frigging York. And it is not a foreign body either. It is an international union.
    It was on a entirely different subject and i merely used it as an example, this deserves its own thread.

And as i indicated in my original post, the entire thought process of these people fills me with humor. 1) The thought has never crossed my mind that UN troops would invade my home. Perhaps im simply naive. 2) "Justifiable doubt". I have no words
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Call me crazy but no one in America lost any rights over this vote right?????

That hardly ever happens.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I missed where this would do anything for the ADA laws we already have in place. Another case of symbolism being more important than substance to some maybe?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    I missed where this would do anything for the ADA laws we already have in place. Another case of symbolism being more important than substance to some maybe?
    Sometimes leadership is about symbolism. Its about setting an example for others to follow. You ask "how this would have helped", realistically it wouldnt. They are adopting our standard for care. While its nothing new for us, its something new for some of the others.

Since you asked how it would help us, allow me to ask: how it would have hurt us? The answer is that it wouldnt. At all. And the reasons given by the GOP are about as likely as Mars attacking Earth. It was a no-brainer bipartisan bill that had absolutely no down side because we already do everything in it already. It would have been a show of unity for the rest of the world. Instead, in all to typical fashion, Republicans got into a dick measuring contest over something utterly petty.

My personal stance on this is: if we can cause disabilities around the world, perhaps we can vote to help those with disabilities.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL..answering my question with a question is the ultimate non starter. Leadership demands substance, and if anything has less substance than UN resolutions and treaties, i'd love to know what it is.
    Again, this would not have done a thing to help our wounded vets, and good intentions do nothing for wounded vets across the globe. The UN would be better served getting Syria to not kill its own people than throwing out propoganda like this
    Quote Quote