Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we address our WR needs with the first round draft pick?

1. -11
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin_Frenzy_84 View Post
    Nope! We can double up in the second with WR and this draft is full of them in the first 3 rounds! Draft a pass rusher or someone to help our secondary.
    Pass rusher? dude we have one of the strong D- lines, the hell would we want to waste more picks on the d-line for? we need a damn secondary and some weapons for tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    Pass rusher? dude we have one of the strong D- lines, the hell would we want to waste more picks on the d-line for? we need a damn secondary and some weapons for tannehill.
    The best way to combat the pass game in a pass-friendly league is through constant pressure. A good QB can tear up any secondary if given enough time. Wake is great, but outside of him, we have limited pass rush (Odrick has been mediocre at best). Our line is great against the run and good inside, be we need another outside rusher badly. Further, pass-rushing talent in the upper end of the draft is higher than DB and WR talent, so it also becomes a BPA thing. Pass rusher is absolutely one of our top 3 needs.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    Draft for talent, not need.

Worst case scenario? We have multiple pass rushers to hit the quarterback. Not the worst thing in the world. As well, Wake isnt getting any younger.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0021 View Post
    NO WR FROM THE DRAFT!! pick up an elite veteran like dwayne bowe or someone thats elite. look at justin blackmon for example. he just had 1 good game but overall he's a bust
    While I agree that I would rather grab a veteran than draft a WR in the first round (and I've been one of the biggest bashers of the lack of WR talent on this team all year), it's far too early to call Blackmon a bust. Few WRs break out in their first year. I think it has to do with the learning curve for the position from college to the pros. Their roles are often far more complex than they were in college, more so than other positions like RB. Add in the fact that he has two godawful QBs throwing to him and it's a recipe for a slow development. Despite this, he's still played decently and has showed flashes. He also has more TDs than both of our starting WRs combined (not that that is saying much).
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    The best way to combat the pass game in a pass-friendly league is through constant pressure. A good QB can tear up any secondary if given enough time. Wake is great, but outside of him, we have limited pass rush (Odrick has been mediocre at best). Our line is great against the run and good inside, be we need another outside rusher badly. Further, pass-rushing talent in the upper end of the draft is higher than DB and WR talent, so it also becomes a BPA thing. Pass rusher is absolutely one of our top 3 needs.
    right, so lets just keep drafting d-lineman and not add any playmakers to our secondary. This is why everyone here is always complaining about lack of turnovers, all everybody wants is pass rushers when we already have a decent pass rush, guess what we got more sacks than san fran yesterday , a superbowl caliber D-line in san fran, its the best unit on the team LEAVE IT ALONE. WE HAVE NO PLAYMAKERS IN OUR SECONDARY. So even if u get good pressure, you have no playmkers!!! reshad jones is an emerging one but at CB we have none, carroll is solid but sean smith needs to go. We need a true #1 CB, vontae was good but we gave him up on too early cause our gm is a moron. It has to be balanced dude, you cannot keep adding pass rushers without having any talent at CB, its pointless to get pressure when you dont have any cbs looking to get INTs. All sean smith wants to do is play zone, he is not aggressive and looks flat out lazy out there at times. His tackling is also an embarassment. CB is my #1 pick for this team, and WR is 2nd. NO more pass rushers or lineman. Get us some damn playmakers already that can make an impact.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsFlipper View Post
    I'm looking at 4 mock drafts and only one of them has us taking a WR(from CAL) while the others have us taking a OT to replace Jake Long. Your thoughts?
    I'm thinking no. Can we get 2 of Patterson/Rodgers/Swope,etc with our 2nd/3rd round picks?
    I hope so, that would be my plan.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would be happy with either CB or pass-rusher in the first, we need both. good WR's can always be found in the 2nd, especially this year
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins biggest need is offense. someone to score some points. I would go WR and TE with 2 of the first 3 picks.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Double up on WR's in the second. Plenty of talent at the WR position, although the drop off after the top 10 WR's is huge.

I'd be looking at either top DE, CB, or S.

If we are going the OT/G route I'd hope we can trade back to a late first and pick up a extra 3rd.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anyone draft just for need is always going to be a year behind. Its this sort of retroactive thinking that has directly lead to us losing.

-We have to spend high draft picks on glaring holes.

Many feel that our draft picks are justified because we have a glaring hole on the roster. This has been the “logic” used when selecting centers and right tackles in the top two rounds. Like many emotional reactions to devastating news, this notion has flaws.

When Martin Mayhew drafted Ryan Broyles in the second round, many reporters and fans questioned the pick. After all, they had a glaring hole at cornerback and they had talented receivers. His response was merely pointing out that the team was strong at the wideout position today but it won’t be in the future. Nate Burleson is 31 years old and will surely start slowing down soon. In later interviews he and Jim Shwartz pointed out that talent rules their board and they grab what falls regardless of the position. One such interview is linked below. Bottom line is: The Lions successfully filled a hole before it was created.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/4/28/2983199/2012-nfl-draft-ryan-broyles-lions-martin-mayhew-jim-schwartz

If another example is needed look no further than the 2011 draft. Going into the draft the Dallas Cowboys desperately needed offensive lineman. They were bleeding at that position and made it clear to everyone they would be addressing it. So, with the 9th overall pick, they selected Tyron Smith. Two picks later the Houston Texans drafted the most talented player on their board: J.J. Watt. Smith has become a pretty good tackle. Watt has become one of the best players in the league. And a year later the Cowboys are now noticing they need defensive ends.
    http://www.finheaven.com/show...ndex&highlight=

Draft for talent. A overall talented roster can overcome short term needs. I wont even get into how much more often great corners and wideouts hit free agency compared to great pass rushers.
    Quote Quote