Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fields/Freeny thing - if you haven't checked this out you should...

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks

Fields/Freeny thing - if you haven't checked this out you should...

Anyone read the new book called "Undeated" by Mike Freeman? It chronicles the perfect season and provides so much great insight into each of the key players on the team and of course, Shula. It's a great read and I highly recommend it to any Phins-fan. What prompted me to bring this up is that the ulimate stupid play in the game yesterday just would never occured on a championship team as good, intelligent and disciplined as those Superbowl teams coached by Shula. The guys on the team were portrayed as being very intelligent - they were not the most athletic bunch with superstars everywhere - but they outsmarted and outworked everyone for about 3 straight years. They didn't make many mental errors. And if they did (see Garo Yepremian's whiff, blocked FG pass for a TD for the other team in the SB). Even though they won the game, the kicker was "dead" to the rest of the team for not "doing his job" and falling on the ball. It was so bad that the little "c__sucker" as Many Fernandez called him as he came off the field went into such a state of depression after that. Think about that. They go undeated, win the game despite the gaffe, but the team would not forgive him or forget it - their mentality was accountabilty to do your job, strive to execute perfectly on every play - nothing else was acceptable. Where is that desire in our team today? It should not be OK for a reserve LB to make such a bonehead play in a game and still be on the roster the next day. You want to breed a culture where winning is the only thing that matters, you have to show your team that having your head up your @SS is not acceptable. Anyway, if you haven't read this book you should!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Ramblin' Man

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Houma, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great comparision! I wasn't alive when that happened but I've seen in interviews the guys were absolutely disgusted with that play. Even today. Above all else, that is what we need back on this team.
    If you ever want to see a rainbow, you've got to stand a little rain.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philibin won't cu anyone he's to nice.

geeat teams don't have bonehead players like that. **** the entire team is full of it. Bonehead owner bonehead Gm n a ***** coach = pathetic organization.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Tie your shoes, god damn it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    UNDEATED! NOW TIME FOR DIDNEY WORL! (caps)

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royalshank View Post
    Anyone read the new book called "Undeated" by Mike Freeman? It chronicles the perfect season and provides so much great insight into each of the key players on the team and of course, Shula. It's a great read and I highly recommend it to any Phins-fan. What prompted me to bring this up is that the ulimate stupid play in the game yesterday just would never occured on a championship team as good, intelligent and disciplined as those Superbowl teams coached by Shula. The guys on the team were portrayed as being very intelligent - they were not the most athletic bunch with superstars everywhere - but they outsmarted and outworked everyone for about 3 straight years. They didn't make many mental errors. And if they did (see Garo Yepremian's whiff, blocked FG pass for a TD for the other team in the SB). Even though they won the game, the kicker was "dead" to the rest of the team for not "doing his job" and falling on the ball. It was so bad that the little "c__sucker" as Many Fernandez called him as he came off the field went into such a state of depression after that. Think about that. They go undeated, win the game despite the gaffe, but the team would not forgive him or forget it - their mentality was accountabilty to do your job, strive to execute perfectly on every play - nothing else was acceptable. Where is that desire in our team today? It should not be OK for a reserve LB to make such a bonehead play in a game and still be on the roster the next day. You want to breed a culture where winning is the only thing that matters, you have to show your team that having your head up your @SS is not acceptable. Anyway, if you haven't read this book you should!!!
    What a difference 40 years and 1000 lawyers make...
    In the 70's NFL you signed for peanuts and had to win to get paid and gain status
    In todays NFL you get paid before you take the 1st snap and basically go with the flow...No need for all that heart & soul stuff
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To me it just seemed odd and funny. A punter getting in the face of defensive end and shoving him. Could you imagine if Garo Yepremian had jumped in the face of Manny Fernandez and shoved him? Fernandez might have kicked Garo through the uprights.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by SR 7 View Post
    Philibin won't cu anyone he's to nice.

geeat teams don't have bonehead players like that. **** the entire team is full of it. Bonehead owner bonehead Gm n a ***** coach = pathetic organization.
    Ocho used to think the same thing.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll use that book as a Christmas gift hint to one of my relatives.

It was an extraordinarily smart and resourceful era. I've tried to emphasize that on this forum countless times. Dick Anderson as the up man on punt returns would never let the ball drop on the rock hard Poly Turf to lose a vital 15 or 20 yards. Mumphord and Johnson were in constant clever coordination on the inside/outside schemes on kick blocking. The team featured dedicated players who could barely speak above a whisper on the WIOD post game show following a loss. The younger fans would be stunned if they went back and could see how a loss was handled in that era, as opposed to now or the past few decades.

We've seemingly never tried to replicate the mental framework of that team. It disgusts the heck out of me. That's why I was flabbergasted when everyone tried to dismiss the fact that Tannehill didn't know the divisions, to the point he thought Kansas City was in the NFC East. In so many words he's already told you he's a bit late to catch on, doesn't pay attention to detail, and isn't totally dedicated to his chosen field. So I don't know how we can be surprised at anything that follows along those lines.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need more guys like Fields on the team. He wants to win, and he knows it hard to win making DUMB plays.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    THE FUTURE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by royalshank View Post

I read perfection by bob griese. Excellent book.
    Quote Quote