Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Tannehill may not be the answer for Dolphins

1. -101
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DOLPNS13. You have no comeback so you correct me on grammer? LOL. You can continue now. By the way, Your D should be capital and your missing an apostrophe as well.
    Quote Quote  

2. -102
    Go get me a juice box!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    BTW, the comparisons to legends are indeed inane. Of all the trends in sports analysis I have to say that one baffles me as much as anything. Somebody has a bad game and desperate scrambles are made, to pinpoint struggles from John Elway or Peyton Manning at a similar stage. How is that 1% relevant? They got to be Elway and Manning because they were obvious freak talents from a very young age. That carried over through college and to #1 draft pick status. As Jimmy Johnson always emphasized, you don't treat those players the same. You'd have to be a fool. Yet we've got no trouble pretending the comparisons are valid. I always wonder what price those posters would take, on Tannehill -- for example -- matching Peyton's career? They have no trouble comparing as rookies so what would it take, 3/1 or 5/1? If they take those numbers they are moronic. Yet if they want what they are entitled to, like 50/1 or higher, then how is the initial comparison valid when now you're telling me your guy is 2% the caliber of other one?

Johnny Miller had a great line on Phil Mickelson at Doral a few years ago, regarding Phil's tendency to attempt any risky shot. He said if he caddied for Phil he'd want a buzz collar. That's what is needed around here, whenever somebody attempts one of the simplistic and meaningless comparisons to a legend.
    Quote Quote  

3. -103
    Formerly FireWrongstedt

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks

Schefter: Tannehill may not be the answer for Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    Im AGREEING with you!!!! Relax!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

What do you mean "there"? doesnt make sense.
    My bad dude, I thought you were saying I didn't get it. I'm sorry for jumping on you like that.
    Die hard Dolphins and Devils fan.
    Quote Quote  

4. -104
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dingaling View Post
    I'm praying that Tannehill will be a great QB but when the game is on the line, he chokes. He doesn't have the "It factor" the other rookie QBs have. Hell, even Kirk Cousins led a come from behind drive to score a TD and 2pt conversion against the Ravens to tie and win in O.T. Tannehill has had numerous opportunities for winning games against the Jets and Cardinals in back to back weeks, the Colts, the Bills, the Pats, and even the 49ers this week. What did he do??? Nothing but incompletions and interceptions. I know we dont have a #1 WR and hartline probably shouldn't be the #2 WR but damn. Make some plays for once and the media will get off his back.
    Kirk Cousins threw 2 passes for 26 yds and a TD. That isn't exactly leading a come from behind drive.

Quote Quote  

5. -105
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    Add Brandon Weeden to your list of rookie Qbs with no help
    If Im not mistaken, he has the Browns at the same or one more win than we have right now and there is more than 1 good team in his division to deal with. We on the other hand have only played the 1 good team in our division once so far. Basically, the Browns schedule was much tougher.
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pepperwood View Post
    Defend, Defend, Defend. But Schefter is More Knowledgable then Me and Most All on Finheaven Dude. The Classic argument - he has no weapons/playmakers. But Yet he has missed Throws and Cost us Games. We have Lost 5 of 6 and RT has looked Average since the Start of the Season. By the Way he missed a TD to Bess Yesterday and 2 Last Week to Hartline. He is allowed to be Judged. The NFL is a Win Now. I hope he is the Man, but he has not shown it Yet.

Not Mentioning RG3, Luck, or Wlson. RT is not even in that Conversation But....
    Rookie QB's Philadelphia's Nick Foles and Washington's Kirk Cousins two rookie quarterbacks, added their name to the list on Sunday.Tannehill has been in those situations plenty this season - seven games now came down to fourth-quarter performance - and he's only delivered one victory in those critical, career defining situations in the fourth-quarter Dude.
    So you don't think having PLAYMAKES at the skill position makes it easier for a QB to have those defining moments? The game where the colts came back from behind I forget the team but it was bout 2 weeks ago. The winning TD was a 5 yard pass to D. Avery that Avery then took about 25 yard for the score. Our receivers don't do that in crunch time, just saying. Even the pass to Bess in the forth quarter of the niners game, Fitgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones etc... make a play on that ball D. Bess is too short and not athletic enough to make a play on that ball. I actually agree with shefter, we don't know yet, but i've seen enough from Tannehill to know that he has the potential to be a franchise QB, cant say that about any other QB We've had here since Marino
    Quote Quote  

7. -107
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    If Im not mistaken, he has the Browns at the same or one more win than we have right now and there is more than 1 good team in his division to deal with. We on the other hand have only played the 1 good team in our division once so far. Basically, the Browns schedule was much tougher.
    Much tougher? Cleveland has beaten Cincy, San Diego 7-6, Pittsburgh by 6, Oakland by 3, and KC. They've lost to Philly, Cincy, Buffalo, Baltimore, NY Giants, Indy, Baltimore, and Dallas.
    Quote Quote  

8. -108
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I'll look for those volumes. I know I have Amazon bookmarked somewhere.

We saw the ability level in preseason. Based on those skills, Tannehill is not making enough wow throws and I don't think he's had one wow game. That should be troubling and I don't see how it's disputed. The league is defensively handicapped yet our quarterback is putting up points like it's 1976. Notice I pick Tampa's year, not ours.

I think he looks like Drew Bledsoe in the pocket, and Danny White when he rolls out or takes off. He's certainly lacking a young Bledsoe's experience and arrogance. Bledsoe had the low delivery and relatively unvaried arc but he'd confidently rifle it.

Too many of Tannehill's deep throws don't allow enough margin for error. He'll have 5 iron loft when 8 or 9 iron is ideal. The throw to Bess was an example.

BTW, the comparisons to legends are indeed inane. Of all the trends in sports analysis I have to say that one baffles me as much as anything. Somebody has a bad game and desperate scrambles are made, to pinpoint struggles from John Elway or Peyton Manning at a similar stage. How is that 1% relevant? They got to be Elway and Manning because they were obvious freak talents from a very young age. That carried over through college and to #1 draft pick status. As Jimmy Johnson always emphasized, you don't treat those players the same. You'd have to be a fool. Yet we've got no trouble pretending the comparisons are valid. I always wonder what price those posters would take, on Tannehill -- for example -- matching Peyton's career? They have no trouble comparing as rookies so what would it take, 3/1 or 5/1? If they take those numbers they are moronic. Yet if they want what they are entitled to, like 50/1 or higher, then how is the initial comparison valid when now you're telling me your guy is 2% the caliber of other one?

Johnny Miller had a great line on Phil Mickelson at Doral a few years ago, regarding Phil's tendency to attempt any risky shot. He said if he caddied for Phil he'd want a buzz collar. That's what is needed around here, whenever somebody attempts one of the simplistic and meaningless comparisons to a legend.
    Awsi owning as usual.

Another thing to consider with the ridiculous comparisons.........

When someone points out how Manning or some other QB struggled to win games in year 1, one must remember that the game simply wasnt tailored to offensive success as only far back as 15 years ago. These days, its simply not uncommon for a rookie QB to come in and play well early. The game is made so much easier for the QB to have success, when a guy comes into the league with real talent, he typically performs well right from the start.

Case in point, simply look at the last 5 years.....

Any QB that has managed to stick or will manage to stick, didnt have much difficulty coming right into the league and winning early on. Ryan went 11-5. Luck is going to win 10 games. Wilson will make the playoffs most likely. Even RG3 has his team above .500. Freeman had a great rookie season. Flacco won right away.

Now take a look at the guys who were drafted within the last 7 years or so who are no longer around or if they are around probably shouldnt be. Without looking it up, Id say they struggled to win games early.

So just because John Elway didnt win many games his first year, consider 1983 is not 2012 in the NFL. Marino was one of the very few QBs before the last 5-7 years who had success both statistically and in the W column. Thats because he was the best there ever was. Id hate to think what Marino in his prime could do with todays NFL.
    Quote Quote  

9. -109
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Tannehill myself. Yeah his stats aren't eye-popping and aren't on the levels of Luck, Griffin III, or Wilson. Regarding Wilson, here's a tidbit post-draft:

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Seahawks a “C-minus,” which was tied for the lowest grade Kiper handed out. CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco called the selection of Bruce Irvin in the first round “risky” and wondered why the Hawks spent a third round pick on Russell Wilson when they had just signed Matt Flynn. Prisco gave the Seahawks a “C-plus” for the draft.
    As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I'm willing to give Tannehill another season (max of 2) to show he can be the guy. The Dolphins, for now, seemed to have missed on Michael Egnew. They don't have a #1 WR who can burn down the field. We're all aware of the Dolphins offensive woes. For once though, if the Dolphins can build around a QB and provide him weapons that will ultimately make the team as a whole better, we need to give them that chance.

I know Ireland doesn't give much of us faith that he will make the right decisions but what can you do?
    Quote Quote  

10. -110
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When did Schefter become a talent evaluator?

Last I hear, Schefter was a media guy with good contacts who was able to get inside information. That is his role. He is no more knowledgeable when it comes to talent evaluation than you or I. Would venture to say Schefter hasn't seen more than a few hastily put-together ESPN highlights on Tannehill. I doubt he has analyzed a whole game film on the guy. So why are we even talking about this tidbit? I would say that Schefter's knowledge of Tannehill is even WORSE than the run-of-the-mill FH poster because at least they have seen complete games of Tannehill.
    Quote Quote