Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newt Gingrich: If Hillary Clinton Runs In 2016, Republicans 'Incapable Of Competing'

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Newt Gingrich: If Hillary Clinton Runs In 2016, Republicans 'Incapable Of Competing'

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton regularly brushes off the idea of a 2016 presidential bid. But if she were to run, at least one prominent Republican thinks his party would be completely outmatched.
    "The Republican party is incapable of competing at that level," Gingrich said during an appearance on NBC's "Meet The Press."
    "First of all, she's very formidable as a person," he said. "She's a very competent person. She's married to the most popular Democrat in the country; they both think [it] would be good for her to be president. It makes it virtually impossible to stop her for the nomination." In addition to having Bill Clinton's support, Hillary Clinton would also have the backing of President Barack Obama, who will still be a "relatively popular president," Gingrich added. "Trying to win that will be truly the Super Bowl."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ef=mostpopular
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neither party has a candidate capable of competing as far as i can see. But the people will buy someones snake oil

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Gingrich and Statler make The Amazing Criswell look like Nate Silver, so I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

In eight years I think the country is going to be pretty hungry for a change, just as it always is. The Republican bench is stocked with talent, unlike the Democrats. The key will be the Republicans fixing their tone and some of their messaging, which some but not enough of their leadership seems to realize and is paying at least some lip service to. Will their base respond, is my question, and I haven't seen too much evidence of that yet.

As for Clinton herself she would be one of the oldest nominees in history, does she in fact run. And it should also be noted that there is a very healthy slice of liberals who don't like the Clintons and view "triangulation" and the Third Way as bull****.

If the economy takes off as some expect it to that could sweep another Democrat into office, just as George H.W. Bush rode into the White House on the good feelings from the end of Reagan's term. But the same party staying in power for three terms in a row is something of a historical anomaly. Other than Reagan --> Bush and FDR --> Truman, I think you have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt --> Taft. The combination of the party out of power getting their **** together and the party in power being divided factionally by the nature of how they've governed is usually enough to do it, barring certain mitigating factors.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think that Rubio will be able to, but he's about the only one that would.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Gingrich and Statler make The Amazing Criswell look like Nate Silver, so I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

In eight years I think the country is going to be pretty hungry for a change, just as it always is. The Republican bench is stocked with talent, unlike the Democrats. The key will be the Republicans fixing their tone and some of their messaging, which some but not enough of their leadership seems to realize and is paying at least some lip service to. Will their base respond, is my question, and I haven't seen too much evidence of that yet.

As for Clinton herself she would be one of the oldest nominees in history, does she in fact run. And it should also be noted that there is a very healthy slice of liberals who don't like the Clintons and view "triangulation" and the Third Way as bull****.

If the economy takes off as some expect it to that could sweep another Democrat into office, just as George H.W. Bush rode into the White House on the good feelings from the end of Reagan's term. But the same party staying in power for three terms in a row is something of a historical anomaly. Other than Reagan --> Bush and FDR --> Truman, I think you have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt --> Taft.
    I agree with this. Pointing back to my previous post, I think Rubio is already being set up for it like Romney was this time. The real difference is that Rubio comes off as likeable as opposed to Romney. I think Paul Ryan will jump in, Bobby Jindal, and possibly John Thune, Jeb Bush or Palin. What will be really interesting to see is if the anti-establishment movement within the Republican Party latches onto Rand Paul like they did with his dad.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

If the economy takes off as some expect it to that could sweep another Democrat into office, just as George H.W. Bush rode into the White House on the good feelings from the end of Reagan's term. But the same party staying in power for three terms in a row is something of a historical anomaly. Other than Reagan --> Bush and FDR --> Truman, I think you have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt --> Taft. The combination of the party out of power getting their **** together and the party in power being divided factionally by the nature of how they've governed is usually enough to do it, barring certain mitigating factors.
    I agree with most of this. I think we'll have a better idea where the Republican party standsin 2014. If we still get politicians talking about legitimate rape and nonsense like that, I'd be worried if I were a Republican. If they back off of that polarizing rhetoric, and cater to Hispanics more, it could be an interesting 2016 race...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Peewee Herman runs in 2016 the Republicans will be incapable of competing.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Republicans have some names. They still have to get through a nutcase primary season in which they'll be forced to take one extreme view after another. Those clips will linger.

The electorate will be down to 70% white in 2016. If you want to go down the line on the (extremely tight) races in which power changed hands after exactly two terms, whites were above 90% of the electorate in 1960, 1968 and 1976, and 81% in 2000. Trying to win at 70% is an entirely different matter. Besides, Hillary theoretically has more strength among working class white voters than Obama, at least based on the numbers from the 2008 primaries, where she won that block convincingly in the major states.

Below is a link to the chart of whites as percentage of the electorate since 1980. I've been following that trend for 20 years. I have no idea why it took so long to be well known. Of course, situational impact is something I prioritize. It's often the trump card variable but one that is comfortably ignored:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...3.01.55-PM.png

I thought the most interesting segment of that Meet The Press program was Lawrence O'Donnell appropriately confronting Gingrich on his doom and gloom quotes when Clinton raised upper income taxes as the centerpiece of his 1993 Budget Act. I've posted those quotes on numerous sites over the years. Perhaps this site, when I posted more frequently in this forum years ago. Those predictions are indeed hysterical, and they were hardly limited to Gingrich. One Republican after another asserted the tax rates would lead to recession and disaster. Keep in mind Alan Greenspan supported the Clinton proposal and wrote a long paper with his rationale. Every Republican in both chambers ignored him and voted the other way. The bill passed by one vote in both chambers after Clinton worked tirelessly to salvage the fringe votes. Then years later when the economy was booming, Republicans desperately credited Greenspan, even though they had unanimously ignored his advice on the most important piece of legislation of the decade.

What's that Jack Webb line, the names have been changed to protect the innocent? That's what the current outcry about raising the top tax rates reminds me of. Names changed, for the most part, but hardly innocent and hardly astute. The party of fear 20 years ago is the party of fear today.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    I agree with this. Pointing back to my previous post, I think Rubio is already being set up for it like Romney was this time. The real difference is that Rubio comes off as likeable as opposed to Romney. I think Paul Ryan will jump in, Bobby Jindal, and possibly John Thune, Jeb Bush or Palin. What will be really interesting to see is if the anti-establishment movement within the Republican Party latches onto Rand Paul like they did with his dad.
    i couldnt agree more. republicans historically always bow down to who is "next in line", in this case, its rubio. the democrats are different in that their party doesnt have a heir to the throne, its more or less tied to the primary.

we all know there are some young republicans out there, just out of curiosity, who are some "up and coming" democrats?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    I think that Rubio will be able to, but he's about the only one that would.
    Think again. The lie about his family's past will come to full circle on a national scale. A lot of hispanics (especially Cuban-Americans who fled the Castro regime) are already upset that they were dubbed into a lie like that.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote