Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need 2 new corners if we want to run Coyle's press man defense.

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

We need 2 new corners if we want to run Coyle's press man defense.

He has been calling a lot more zone on first and second down than he seemed to want to based the preseason talk. We got rid of Davis because he couldn't play man, but most of the guys we got in this season aren't good enough to play man anyway. Smith strikes me as more of a cover 3/cover 2 corner and would fit a lot better on a team like Seattle where he is the prototypical size for a Pete Carroll defense. Marshall, when he comes back, fits better as a nickel back than anything else. Also in the nickel Marshall's tackling ability would be put to better use and we do run more zone blitzes out of the nickel allowing him to play zone and rush the passer. I see him more as someone competing for a spot at FS in base and coming into the slot in the nickel like Charles Woodson this season then having him man up on the boundary every play.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yes!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Myers
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't forget we just claimed Patterson and assumed the remainder of his contract. I believe he is due 4.5 million next year and a bit over 5 million in 2014. I can still see us drafting a CB early, I don't see us doubling down.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: We need 2 new corners if we want to run Coyle's press man defense.

We dont need to keep Patterson we only need to pay him until the end of this season.
    Im selling a club level ticket to the Dolphins v Raiders in London - will sell it for below face value. PM me if your interested.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    its certainly possible. one early one late. I believe our great gm said you can never have enough CB's. Mccann is prob in the equation.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: We need 2 new corners if we want to run Coyle's press man defense.

Heck, I haven't seen any drop off in coverage since Smith was hurt. We are playing with scrubs and I don't see any need to keep him around. I can see us signing a good young cb and drafting at least one or two. Bye bye Smith.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Heck, I haven't seen any drop off in coverage since Smith was hurt. We are playing with scrubs and I don't see any need to keep him around. I can see us signing a good young cb and drafting at least one or two. Bye bye Smith.
    Oh so he was hurt for a few minutes, and it was against a horrific Fitzpatrick who playing on the road and sucks on the road (one of the very worst QB's on the road this season and will be out of the league soon)... yeah, nice sample size there to form a firm and educated conclusion, "buddy".

ps- To the OP -- Sean Smith is a very good press corner. Thats his specialty all through college and in the pros. Whenever he's been asked to play press he's been good overall. He is not a corner you give a lot of space to. He never was.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sean smith is not a cover 2 corner. The only area he "excels" in, and I use that lightly.. is in press coverage. He's a liability in any other type of coverage.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we need one cb, but we have lot new one that dont look bad. botom line we need offense help to cover up defense when they are playing bad
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calabasas, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks

We need 2 new corners if we want to run Coyle's press man defense.

if you're counting on Smith to press, you're straight believing in ‘santaclausian theory'. he can barely off-cover… and even then can locate the ball. Patterson stays cause he plays press, and we find another press. we've got 2 pieces now… plus money and picks
    Quote Quote