Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

1. -11
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
    The most explosive players this front office has acquired via free agency and the draft:

Offense: Bess
    defense: Wake

It is truly concerning that Ireland/Parcells did not hit on any explosive players in draft picks in five offseasons. Our biggest being Bess and Wake, both free agent fliers.

The NFL is about who has the better players. We don't have them. Our front office fails us, and has consistently, for over a decade.
    Brandon Marshall was the most explosive player on offense that they acquired. I suppose Reggie Bush would actually be considered the 2nd...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Not just them but look at the bottom of the roster, guys like Les Brown, 7-11, Roberto Wallace, etc. All test off the charts good, physically. None of them have an extensive history of making plays at a high level.

I'm surprised you haven't caught on as to why this is happening or what the REAL problem here is.

Its quite simple really. To a man like Fireland, someone who is as dumb as him looks at the metrics and says he has the same "tangibles" as Player A so why draft in round 1-3 when I can acquire the same "tangibles, metrics" in round 4-UDFA. He doesn't take account into playmakers are playmakers not playmakers come in metrics.

1 example, Wilford, tall big strong, Gates pretty tall and a burner, Turner tall big strong, NaNaee tall big strong, Wallace tall big strong etc etc. He compares those metrics to AJ Green that has the same size weight strength or BM and says he can do it just as well as AJ or BM etc because they have the same TANGIBLES.

Instead of viewing it as who makes plays on the FOOTBALL Field first than look at metrics second.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you can win and make the playoffs without a great defense...the Patriots almost won the SB last year with a defense ranked near the bottom, but I don't think you can win a SB with an average to poor offense. Offense wins SB's these days because of the new rules. We have to find more explosive players or we are never going to get to the promised land.
    1. OG: Zack Martin, Notre Dame
    2. ILB: Chris Borland, Wisconsin
    3. TE: C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
    4. DT: Daniel McCullers, Tenn
    5. FS: Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt
    6. QB: Connor Shaw, South Carolina
    7. RB: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    reggie bush, the sudden forgotten man. what a difference a year can make.

But I just think Ireland and Philbin screwed the pooch at WR this year. Ireland is dealing with a new regime of coaches so I think the change messed his mind a little coming off the Marshall trade. But I also think there is a long term plan in mind here. The skill position does not equate to championships. Skill position working hard to become the best is what it comes down to IMO. Look at guys like Wake who came from out of nowhere? Why? Because he works hard at his craft week in week out. He works at being the best. Hartline works hard at being the best he can be, if only he didnt have to dive for every friggin ball or fall down when someone touches his shoelace in the open field.

People shouldnt just look at the most talented guy but the guy who stays humble and works hard at their craft every week. I watched that interview with Calvin Johnson last night and what struck me is not his size, but how he approaches the game and his head never lets him become complacent.

FA: Dmitiri Patterson (Vet min.w/ incentives)
    1. Zach Martin OT
    2. Bishop Sankey RB
    3. Brandon Thomas G/T
    4. Max Bullough ILB
    5. Crockett Gilmore TE
    6. Brandon Linder G/T
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pouncey is explosive...for a center.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reggie Bush is a good counterpoint. Explosive player.

But he wasn't drafted either.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calabasas, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

if you believe Jeff Ireland is the answer… then you're not asking the correct question, which is: after 5 years of the same, why do expect him to change what he does? because in his mind, it's working… just the way it is. and what's worse, is he has the owner believing along with him. sadly, Einstein's theory of insanity permeates Dolphins HQ on a train running downhill with no brake.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    There is a common narrative that Ireland can't draft skills players. Is that the case or have they simply not acquired many skills players in the first place? Can we do an analysis on his picks and acquisitions at the WR, RB and TE positions and see what percentage of those picks/signings paid any dividends.

Anyone can agree that the skills players have been ignored during his tenure, but is it a matter of what they prioritized or that they can't identify talented players at those positions? I ask because I think this year will definitely be the year that they prioritize the skills positions over line positions. If they spend a 1st round pick on a WR, should we fear them picking the wrong player?

Please someone provide a solid data driven analysis of all the offensive skills players selected under Ireland's tenure.
    I honestly believe the only thing he cares about getting value regardless if that value is devoid of talent.
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Marshall is not explosive, have you ever seen him play? He's a brute, with a size advantage on the average cornerback. He never beats a corner deep, if he get's a long ball the corner is right there, Marshall just uses his size to win the ball. For those who want Ireland gone, maybe you would rather have JJ or Wrongstadt back. Just like QB's there are 32 teams and only maybe 20 good QB's? or GM's as the metaphor goes. Careful what you ask for you just may get Pioli'ed just like KC did... or Oakland...SD, Cleveland,Tenn., Or you could get Jones'ed like Big D, or Jag'ed, Bungled, or Bill'ed. Just WTF is the sure fire hire out there (that the other 12 or 13 teams will be competing for) guaranteed to put them over the top?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Etuoo33 View Post
    Marshall is not explosive, have you ever seen him play? He's a brute, with a size advantage on the average cornerback. He never beats a corner deep, if he get's a long ball the corner is right there, Marshall just uses his size to win the ball. For those who want Ireland gone, maybe you would rather have JJ or Wrongstadt back. Just like QB's there are 32 teams and only maybe 20 good QB's? or GM's as the metaphor goes. Careful what you ask for you just may get Pioli'ed just like KC did... or Oakland...SD, Cleveland,Tenn., Or you could get Jones'ed like Big D, or Jag'ed, Bungled, or Bill'ed. Just WTF is the sure fire hire out there (that the other 12 or 13 teams will be competing for) guaranteed to put them over the top?
    Marshall was capable of an explosive play on every snap. His greatest asset was his ability to create YAC. When I said explosive, I didn't just mean fast...
    Quote Quote