Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: This Sunday's game is HUGE on SO many levels

1. -71
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I just want some good, solid momentum going into the offseason.
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Games earlier this year were important. But this game is also important, just for different reasons.

Awsi did a great job laying out how this game is important for Joe Philbin for 2014, not 2013. Yeah he'll be here in 2013 I think we all know that. But with a loss in Week 17 seeming a strong likelihood...a loss to the Jaguars here and even a token win against the Bills won't get the fans or players believing. When you head into a season not believing as fans, there's no patience, no understanding of circumstances. And as players if you're unsure and/or unbelieving, losing becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Dolphins have lost 5 of their last 6. Obviously they need to stop that skid soon because damage is being done, more each week.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just don't see it. I'm uncomfortable calling a game against the second worst team in football between two non playoff teams HUGE. Sure a loss is embarrassing but we're already a losing team not heading to the playoffs. We've already had bad losses this year to terrible teams. I'd rather Ross judge Ireland on the years of losing and incompetence rather than one irrelevant game. Philbin is covered in teflon this year. The focus is on Ireland. I enjoyed reading Awsi's perspective on Philbin establishing a perception that may last into 2014, but I think whatever fervor comes from a poor finish to this year will be long forgotten by then. There's really not much distinction between 5-11 or 7-9 and the details of this mediocre year won't be relevant after next season which is the year that will decide how Philbin is perceived.

This game becomes big if Tannehill has his first truly productive breakout game, which I feel he's due for in these last few games and JAX may well be his best chance. The kid needs a solid win and a glowing stat line, but that could be any of these last games.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The different roads this team can go down are so unbelievably different. A win gets this team to 6 wins with a chance to finish 7-9. That record would be viewed with positive vibes. It would give momentum into this big offseason. Even a win this week and loss to Buffalo could be view as "ok".

However, a loss? Hell will break lose. It will be discussed what exactly Steve Ross is thinking regarding his team. The calls for Ireland's firing will soar. Joe Philbin's ability to coach will be questioned like at no other point in his first season. A loss will mean that rookie Ryan Tannehill will have lost to Chad Henne. Many of these FA's that "we need back" so desperately will have many of us wondering why we need them back as we hurdle to a 5-11 season.

The Dolphins HAVE TO win today. It does not matter how. I think the Fins win ugly today. 16-12 or something like that. However, I am not going to be shocked IF they do lose. Mike Mularkey is good a coach. I have always liked him. He was out ill this week. I bet his team rallies for him. Also, he backed off of his team this week after working them hard this week. The Jags have three good receiving options. Mercedes Lewis, Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon are tough enough to defend. Brad Meester should play in the pivot which will help their poor pass protection. Chad Henne knows the "talent" in the secondary enough on how to attack it. The Jags have weak pass rush and the ball pounded on them. However, without Bess, the Fins will have a hard time throwing the ball. I think this game is a dog fight, folks.

I just want some good feelings going into this offseason. A win is needed on so many fronts.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philly
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sadly if its must win for Ireland wouldn't most fans almost rather lose the game IF this was the straw that breaks the camels back?
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectFinz72 View Post
    Sadly if its must win for Ireland wouldn't most fans almost rather lose the game IF this was the straw that breaks the camels back?
    You know what? I thought at the end 2010 that at least if the Fins lost...they dropped games to the Browns, Lions and Bills that at least Tony would be canned. I cheered my ass off and wanted them to win, but said to myself that at least if they lost Tony had to be fired....it did not happen.

Maybe the same happens here. I am not sure how Steve Ross' football compass works.
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully Henne has an AMAZING game, but we still win ... that way all hell doesn't break loose, but maybe we still get to see Jeff Ireland in the hot seat & possibly get fired
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am not a Jeff Ireland fan. He should have been canned at the end of the 2010 season. Somehow he is still here and appears to be coming back anyways. So with all that being said, I want a win today to get closer to a 7-9 mark that I thought was unattainable at the start of the season. I want some good feelings going into the offseason. Finally, this win would be huge for Joe and RT. They need to be credible going fwd.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    wouldn't chad henne lighting us up give jeff ireland more credibility? he drafted the guy so obviously thought he could be a qb in the leauge, unless those that say ireland cant' draft want to go back to very parcells argument they use to bash ireland, and say henne was parcells guy.

If philbin and co sent him packing and he lights us up doesn't that make philbin look worse than jeff ireland?

I thought everybody wrote chad henne off as a terrible quarterback? Why do I read page after page after page, of posters scared to death he will beat us?

Here is the bottom line, this staff got rid of some key players this season. Cutting chad johnson, and trading brandon marshall and vontae davis, were GOOD Moves LONG TERM... but those same moves could very lead to a team not being able to beat a jacksonvill jaguars team today... so why is it a MUST win? Who is going to cover cecil shorts??? Sean smith... perfect, that who the **** is going to stop blackmon... he will see 10+ targets today against nobodies!!!

Jeff Ireland isnt going anywhere, win or lose. The state of the team as it is now, set him up for another free pass. The rookie qb starting, the rookie HC, the trading of the some of the best personnell we had on offense and on defense, all lend jeff ireland a hand in extending his tenure here... and believe it or not... most of the above changes, were changes were something A LOT of posters on this site were IN FAVOR of... the by product is, jeff sticks around.

IMO, miami finds a way to win. it's supposed to rain and that I believe plays in miamis favor.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2413fanphins View Post
    wouldn't chad henne lighting us up give jeff ireland more credibility? he drafted the guy so obviously thought he could be a qb in the leauge, unless those that say ireland cant' draft want to go back to very parcells argument they use to bash ireland, and say henne was parcells guy.

If philbin and co sent him packing and he lights us up doesn't that make philbin look worse than jeff ireland?

I thought everybody wrote chad henne off as a terrible quarterback? Why do I read page after page after page, of posters scared to death he will beat us?

Here is the bottom line, this staff got rid of some key players this season. Cutting chad johnson, and trading brandon marshall and vontae davis, were GOOD Moves LONG TERM... but those same moves could very lead to a team not being able to beat a jacksonvill jaguars team today... so why is it a MUST win? Who is going to cover cecil shorts??? Sean smith... perfect, that who the **** is going to stop blackmon... he will see 10+ targets today against nobodies!!!

Jeff Ireland isnt going anywhere, win or lose. The state of the team as it is now, set him up for another free pass. The rookie qb starting, the rookie HC, the trading of the some of the best personnell we had on offense and on defense, all lend jeff ireland a hand in extending his tenure here... and believe it or not... most of the above changes, were changes were something A LOT of posters on this site were IN FAVOR of... the by product is, jeff sticks around.

IMO, miami finds a way to win. it's supposed to rain and that I believe plays in miamis favor.
    If Chad Henne beats us it makes Ireland look bad because Henne sucks. A bad QB would beating the team Ireland established.
    Quote Quote