Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I would do if I were GM (phinfever)

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What I would do if I were GM (phinfever)

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here is the post. It is by Rich Rodriguez, a VERY knowledgeable writer. Enjoy!

What I would do as GM
    What I would do if I were GM with $50 million plus in cap space:

On offense in order of priority.

1. Sign Mike Wallace:

He fits best with this group. Bess is a slot/possession guy who is good at getting open in short spaces and gaining a couple of extra yards after the catch. Hartline is a good short to intermediate possession receiver that can beat the secondary deep once in a while, but is not a gamebreaker. They have 2 touchdowns between them. Wallace has 8 touchdowns this season and 32 for his career (he averages 8 TDs a year so he is consistent).

You need that guy to compliment those skillsets and that guy is Wallace. He's the fastest receiver in the NFL. He can blow the top off a defense. Defenses will no longer be able to stack eight in the box with Wallace in the game.

If defenses want to box 8 and play one on one outside, he will burn them deep. If they want to play off and prevent the big play, that will create room for Bess and Hartline underneath.

Bottom line: Wallace adds a dynamic this offense is sorely lacking: speed. He is a deep threat and is young at 26 years of age. He is worth the big bucks.

2. Resign Brian Hartline:

He has had a breakout year and seems to improve each season. As mentioned before, he is a nice short to intermediate threat and three weapons are better than two.

3A. Try to resign Jake Long at a fair deal:

I know there is a lot of talk about Jake Long declining and seeing what Jonathan Martin can do. Whether Martin plays better the rest of the way or not, I still try to bring Long back. I mentioned paramaters of a contract in another thread, around the neighborhood of 5 years, $45 million and $10 million in guarantees. I would incentivize the contract based on his health to offer some protection and offer incentives based on games played etc. If he balks, here is plan B:

3B. Look at other top tackles in free agency:

Go after either Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or Sebastian Vollmer and draft a tackle anywhere in rounds 2-4 to develop for the future while Martin and the big free agent acquisition hold the fort. This way we have three options for the two positions in case Martin doesn't develop. I think Vollmer would be the best option from a price versus quality perspective as Clady is probably looking for Joe Thomas-type money.

4. Upgrade at least one guard position:

Here is another opportunity to address a need with both a free agent veteran and a rookie. Brandon Moore and Andy Levitre are two free agent options that would immediately be an upgrade over John Jerry. I'd also look at guards late in the draft.

5. Sign a young, athletic tight end that can work the middle:

I'd start with Dustin Keller, who also brings speed and can line up at WR in certain sets. Fred Davis and Jared Cook are also options worth looking at in free agency. Delanie Walker is a sleeper.

6. Resign Reggie Bush at a fair price, try to move Daniel Thomas:

Daniel Thomas has shown very little at running back. I would move him and try to resign Bush and let Lamar Miller be the back up.

With these moves, we've now added deep speed at wide receiver, kept one of our best receivers, upgraded the offensive line, added a viable receiving otpion at tight end and keep speed and playmaking ability at the running back position.

On defense in order of priority:

The draft is deep at corner and defensive end, so the focus for the first two rounds should be there. The defense does not need a lot of help. I am happy with our linebackers, especially Koa Misi and the improvement he has shown. Our defensive line is strong but we need to put more pressure on the QB. The back-end of the defense is where I have concerns both at corner and free safety.

1. Acquire a playmaker at cornerback:

There isn't a lot in free agency. The only names that intrigue me are Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, Derek Cox and Brent Grimes. All of these players come with question marks (i.e. health, consistency), so buyer beware. Our best bet is to look for a corner in the 1st or 2nd round. There may be as many as 9 viable first/second round talents at corner this year with good size and measurables.

DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 182.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.44

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 185.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.44

David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46

Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45

Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 193.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 184.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.42

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46

2. Acquire a pass rusher, even if it is a situational pass rusher:

The draft also offers up some good options here.

Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.61

Barkevious Mingo*, DE/OLB, LSU
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60

Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 255.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 265.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73

Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 243.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Corey Lemonier*, DE/OLB, Auburn
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 246.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 270.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69

3. Resign Randy Starks:

He can be had at a premium cost and is our most versatile defensive lineman. Can play end or tackle, can stuff the run or rush the passer.

4. Bring in a safety to compete with Chris Clemons, either at a bargain price in free agency or as a mid to late round pick.

With these moves we significantly upgrade speed and athleticism on offense so now it is up to the QB to make it happen.

We also fortify the secondary and improve the pass rush, which have been the two main problem spots for this defense.

http://www.phinfever.com/view...php?f=2&t=8138
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It all sounds pretty good to me, with a dfferent view on some observations. Wallace wouldbe my top priority too but I also would like a brusing type RB. Bringing back bush at a reasonable price is fine but not with miller as the backup. Nothing against miller at all. The kid has potential, but he is alot like bush. His size, speed, and running style is like bush so I would bring in a bigger back with a little power to go with them. It kinda puts us in a dilema because personally like thomas too.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAdkins159 View Post
    It all sounds pretty good to me, with a dfferent view on some observations. Wallace wouldbe my top priority too but I also would like a brusing type RB. Bringing back bush at a reasonable price is fine but not with miller as the backup. Nothing against miller at all. The kid has potential, but he is alot like bush. His size, speed, and running style is like bush so I would bring in a bigger back with a little power to go with them. It kinda puts us in a dilema because personally like thomas too.
    What has Thomas done besides fumble and run for a poor ypc?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Finjim, what you posted would be a miraculous offseason. The one thing I would change though, is instead of using money on a TE, try to get Cliff Avril to compliment Wake. Definitely still need Starks. Then in the draft we can get db's as much as we feel the need, another receiver, pass rusher, and other holes later

Sounds good to me honestly - the question - could Ireland pull that off

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Avril is not very good this year. He's playing next to a pair of amazing DTs and simply not producing at a level you'd expect (he should have 10+ sacks by now, judging by the blocking schemes he has been seeing) and he will likely want BIG bucks.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thomas hasnt done anything spectacular, but he runs hard. He hits the hole so hard he gains 2 or 3 yds before bush even reaches the line of scrimmage. I actually thhink Thomas has shown some flashes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Avril is not very good this year. He's playing next to a pair of amazing DTs and simply not producing at a level you'd expect (he should have 10+ sacks by now, judging by the blocking schemes he has been seeing) and he will likely want BIG bucks.
    He has 9.5 right now... thats not bad. You know, we also have a very good front seven too. Starks causes havoc almost like Suh. Plus, the Wake factor
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is ideal, although I am 75% sure we will not address any BIG FAs on offense. I see us going heavy on Def through FA, and drafting all of our players on offense. I see us picking up either D.Cox or DRC (which i dont like because he is a terrible tackler). I also think we need to free up all the money tied up between Dansby and Burnett and find cheaper options as niether of them are putting up great numbers, nor are doing much to stop TEs. I would obviously love Wallace and Keller/Cook on offense but Philbin is locked on his ways of building through the draft for offense, so I dont see us doing this, perhaps the Oline will be addressed in FA though.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just a few salary(guess) numbers regarding the article

Wallace would be nice but I expect he'd be looking for top 3 money in the
    range of $9 million per.............................................................................9 million per

Hartline is a fantastic receiver even though he can't score
    I'd expect at least 4 million per for a 1000 yard receiver................................4 million per

Long at 9 million as the article states(I disagree but lets go with the article) ....9 million per

Vollmer makes 1 million now I expect that to go to at least 3 million+.............3 million per

Moore at guard makes 4.4 million expect the same salary or "MORE"...............4.4 million per

Bush might be had at 4 million a year...........................................................4 million per

Grimes is making 10 million this season expect the same or less .....................10 million per

Starks should be around 6 million per.............................................................6 million per

our draft should be 6 million or slightly more.................................................6 million per....55 million so far

plus you need to sign or replace
    Amaya....540k
    Will Barker...540k
    Patrick Brown...540k
    Chris Clemons...1.3 mil
    Tyrone Culver...700k
    Pat Devlin...390k
    Anthony Fasano...4.37 mil
    Ray Feinga.....540k
    Jonathan Freeny...390k
    Nate Garner........1.4 mil
    Jeron Mastrud.....540k
    Bryan McCann...540k
    Tony McDaniel...4.1 mil
    Marlon Moore...490k
    Matt Moore.......2.5 mil
    Lydon Murtha....1.9 mil
    Sean Smith.......800k
    Austin Spitler....540k
    R.J. Stanford....540k
    Marcus Thigpen...390k
    Jason Trusnik.....1 mil
    add another 24 million if players are resigned at old salaries

As you can see it won't be possible to sign all those free agents
    I don't even think we'll be able to sign all our own free agents (which may be a good thing)

It will be interesting in the off season who stays and who goes
    I think there is going to be a huge turnover this off season with "new blood"
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose close to 20 players
    Quote Quote