Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Official Nintendo Wii U Thread

1. -11
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wiiiiiii!
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Not even tempted to buy this. Hardly any more powerful than a 360 or ps3 and will be blown out of the water next year with the next gen.

nice controller though.
    I think to say this isn't "next generation" is shortsighted. This is obviously next generation. Just because the PS360's next generation consoles may have better graphics capabilities and stronger hardware doesn't mean this isn't next generation. The hardware inside of the Wii U is clearly much stronger and more capable than the current generation and the tablet controller is obviously next generation.

I can tell you this, the gap between the Wii U and the new Sony/Microsoft consoles will be nowhere as big as it was with the Wii and their current consoles. It is actually looking like they are going to use a similar setup to what the WiiU has to create a more power efficient console.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    I will buy this console once there is a price drop AND the new Smash Bros is announced.
    They have already announced that they are working on a new Smash Bros which will be released on the Wii U and the 3DS and include crossplay features. Don't know of a release but I'd guess holiday 2013, early 2014, or before the 2014 holiday.

I wouldn't expect a price drop for a while and the price is more than justified once you spend some time with the Wii U Gamepad. That controller just runs my living room now.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    This basically sums it up perfectly.

I grew up playing on a Nintendo, then Super Nintendo, then Nintendo 64 (greatest system ever). Since the 64, Nintendo has dissapointed. Not sure why they suddenly decided to change their business strategy to utlitizing gimmicks instead of creating a quality system. Motion control and controllers with screens are cute, but they don't make the system great.

I blame everything on the Gamecube. It feels like they've been 1 generation behind since that disaster.
    The Gamecube actually had the most capable hardware in that generation. Better graphics card than the Xbox and both of those systems were stronger than the PS2. They also had a damn good controller with the WaveBird. The big problem was the PS2 was a DVD player and was getting great 3rd party support and the GameCube just didn't have much outside of their first party titles (which Nintendo has shown can carry a system if need be . . . but sales will lack).

I do agree that my 2 favorite Nintendo systems of all time are the SNES (my personal favorite) and the N64. SNES is right there with the PS2 as having the best gaming library in gaming history and the N64 IMO truly help revolutionize today's gaming scene.

As for the Wii, the biggest problem with the Wii was that they forced motion into EVERYTHING early on, and that was a mistake . . . something they tried to work on later in the life of the console but it was too late. Combine that with no DVD player, no HD support, terrible Online Infastructure and a market filled with gimmick games for kids . . . and it just watered down the library. It's hard to fully flame Nintendo for it as they introduced the casual gamer to the market (something I hope Xbox doesn't get carried away with because I want them to keep focusing on solid titles over gimmicky Kinect ones) and they have sold around 100 million consoles worldwide . . . but it's a mistake that they have clearly worked out on the Wii U by giving gamers more options. Black Ops 2 on Wii U actually has an option where you can use an Xbox controller layout if you choose (Pro Controller), or Gamepad, or WiiMote / Nunchuk (used correctly absolutely destorys anything else). People like options . . . the Wii U has them.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    The Gamecube actually had the most capable hardware in that generation. Better graphics card than the Xbox and both of those systems were stronger than the PS2. They also had a damn good controller with the WaveBird. The big problem was the PS2 was a DVD player and was getting great 3rd party support and the GameCube just didn't have much outside of their first party titles (which Nintendo has shown can carry a system if need be . . . but sales will lack).

I do agree that my 2 favorite Nintendo systems of all time are the SNES (my personal favorite) and the N64. SNES is right there with the PS2 as having the best gaming library in gaming history and the N64 IMO truly help revolutionize today's gaming scene.

As for the Wii, the biggest problem with the Wii was that they forced motion into EVERYTHING early on, and that was a mistake . . . something they tried to work on later in the life of the console but it was too late. Combine that with no DVD player, no HD support, terrible Online Infastructure and a market filled with gimmick games for kids . . . and it just watered down the library. It's hard to fully flame Nintendo for it as they introduced the casual gamer to the market (something I hope Xbox doesn't get carried away with because I want them to keep focusing on solid titles over gimmicky Kinect ones) and they have sold around 100 million consoles worldwide . . . but it's a mistake that they have clearly worked out on the Wii U by giving gamers more options. Black Ops 2 on Wii U actually has an option where you can use an Xbox controller layout if you choose (Pro Controller), or Gamepad, or WiiMote / Nunchuk (used correctly absolutely destorys anything else). People like options . . . the Wii U has them.
    The Gamecube may have been as strong as the Xbox and stronger than the PS2, but it certainly didn't show in its games. I never thought I'd find someone who like that Gamecube controller. The yellow c button stick was a good idea, but I remember it being placed poorly. Then, instead of creating a 4 button layout like the snes controller, xbox controller, or ps controller, you create one gigantic button then create 3 buttons that are harder to reach.

SNES and 64 are like 1a and 1b for me. I think the SNES had better games. My two favs are Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger. But I loved the 64, because it was the first system where you could bring over 3 buddies and spend all day playing just one game like Goldeneye or Mario Kart.

I agree about your Wii assessment. Basically it comes down to this with the Wii U....as long as 3rd party game developers don't have to create a different version of their game for the Wii U, when creating a game for the 3 systems, then the Wii U will do fine. If people can buy Madden, COD, etc on the Wii U, and it will look basically the same as the other 2 next gen consoles, then they'll be able to pitch their hits like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Party, and Mario Kart without any of the backlash.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: The Official Nintendo Wii U Thread

I got one of these today. The black one and Assassins Creed 3. So far the multiplayer for AC3 hasn't worked for me. Singleplayer is fun but I wanna check the online out.
    Quote Quote