Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

1. -41
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Gonna need that first rd pick for a cb or wr not sure i would bank on a wr in FA.
    Yea its a tough decision . . . especially at CB. I think WR we will be fine (the outcry by the fans and the options and draft/FA are solid reasons why I'm sure the position will be addressed well this offseason). Green Bay has a gauntlet of 2nd and 3rd round WR and there will be good value at WR in this draft in those rounds . . . we have 4 picks. I'm thinking DE with that first pick . . . . resigning Sean Smith and taking a CB in round 2. Move Marshall over to FS. I just don't know if we are getting a better talent by taking CB in round 1 over a DE. Still early and things change but I feel like we would be reaching for a CB with this group if we took one in the top 15.

I still wish we had Vontae though . . . just makes resigning Smith less of a priority . . . I don't know if I want to enter a weak CB FA class, not resign Sean Smith and be forced into a CB early in the draft. Sean Smith almost certainly needs to be resigned.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    They cut Marshall, just because Greenbay finds WR in the second ad third round doesn't mean we can. A lot is to be determined by who is out GM, if it is Ireland then I'm sure we will draft de in the first round. Not sure I bring Smith back he just isn't that good and he will want top dollar.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

3. -43

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They cut Marshall, just because Greenbay finds WR in the second ad third round doesn't mean we can. A lot is to be determined by who is out GM, if it is Ireland then I'm sure we will draft de in the first round. Not sure I bring Smith back he just isn't that good and he will want top dollar.
    I thought Marshall was just on IR? He's still a Dolphin come next season, right?

If Smith wants top dollar you actually might have to franchise him for a year and get your rookie CB's up to speed. I don't know if I trust MIami to go into the season with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford and 2 rookies. Sean Smith is going to probably be one of the best if not the best CB's on the market.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Vonte at 85% of his huge potential would have been great, but the true Vonte to this point was closer to 50%, ant that just was not enough... from a team standpoint where you are trying to max potential on every man on the roster. Slackers like Vonte and Marshall were a cancer to the guy's who want to succede. I could live with a stud lock down corner but I think at #12 the best will be gone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    I thought Marshall was just on IR? He's still a Dolphin come next season, right?

If Smith wants top dollar you actually might have to franchise him for a year and get your rookie CB's up to speed. I don't know if I trust MIami to go into the season with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford and 2 rookies. Sean Smith is going to probably be one of the best if not the best CB's on the market.
    I'm pretty sure the cut him from IR I might be wrong though. Well they went with Davis and Smith as rookies so anything is possible but no way you tag smith with what it cost for a cb!
    Quote Quote  

6. -46

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Etuoo33 View Post
    Vonte at 85% of his huge potential would have been great, but the true Vonte to this point was closer to 50%, ant that just was not enough... from a team standpoint where you are trying to max potential on every man on the roster. Slackers like Vonte and Marshall were a cancer to the guy's who want to succede. I could live with a stud lock down corner but I think at #12 the best will be gone.
    Certainly sounds good in theory, but when you see Brandon Marshall getting ready to march into the playoffs and putting up a huge season and the Dolphins being almost forced to resign Sean Smith (not saying we wouldn't of anyways) because we have such limited CB depth due to the Vontae trade . . . I just wish our GM would of had more foresight and drafted better at these skill positions.

Truth is, we have alot of cap room . . . but we need to hit on this draft more than anything else.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i could see them using the top pick on a 3 down de and letting starks walk and moving odrick inside to dt which is his best position anyways...starks probably commands $8 mil per this offseason he'll get more money than kendall langford got from st louis no doubt about that...

probably have no choice but to keep sean smith just so you don't have so much turnover in the back end on d only good thing about that is since the first quarter of the season he's killed his market free agency wise there was a time i didn't think $10 mil per would get it done the first quarter of the year but he's now probably in the $6 mil per range and despite his poor play of late i think miami has to bite the bullet on that one...we should be proactive and lock up carroll on the cheap now before the price goes up could probably get him inked to a 3 year $5 mil deal which would be a bargain and if he did fall off the table you have very little money invested cap wise to worry about...use a top 2 round pick one of our top 3 picks on a cb they go fast you better not wait around on corners or you'll be left empty handed

in free agency priority number uno should be getting a high end level wr...5 years $50 mil something in that range...one of mike wallace dwayne bowe or greg jennings needs to be a dolphin...we need guys ready now...still i'd use a top 2 round top 3 pick of ours on a wr also to add to the talent at the position which is lacking...if you add mike wallace you add a much needed speed element that must be respected you add bowe you add a win wr at the los and off press and a run after the catch provider who can win in the red zone and plays to his size...something this core needs desperately...jennings gives you the smarts for this system and the jack of all trades ability and he understands db leverage and runs the best back shoulder route in the game...no excuses miami must land a difference making wr in free agency

offer jake long 2 years and $12 mil if he balks let him walk...can always kick martin over to the left side and use a mid round pick on a right tackle or a veteran signing on the relative cheap...

lose reggie bush mr terrible fit for the zone inside running game way too much east and west for this o...give the keys to lamar miller for the starting job but cover yourself by adding a veteran on the cheap that runs downhill and angry like a chris ivory...you can find guys like that very cheap and they'll outproduce their pay...ivory probably less than $1 million...

on the fence about fasano but he's the only guy that can play in line and block...egnews never gonna block anyone clays not gonna win in line off tackle so fasano probably needs to stick...

shocker signing for me that i would make is chris clemons...yep mr stiff hips and no ball skills and playmaking ability at free safety...he hasn't made any plays on the ball this year and probably never will but he's been pretty solid all told and miamis got too many other big needs to let him walk when they can sign him cheap...i'm thinking 1 year $3 mil...enough that he won't go elsewhere and he allows you another year to by time before you make free safety a priority if you need to...

pretty easy and simple plan for the offseason...i might be more inclined to sign starks though provided i can maybe talk him into 3 years and $20 mil just so i don't kill my depth at dt...but odrick will play a high end 43 dt for you so tough one to call...

sign hartline nothing more than $6 mil per...he's earned a new contract with the team and he can make some plays against #2 cbs and nickle guys etc while our alpha wr opposite him takes on the top level corner on each team...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

8. -48

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the cut him from IR I might be wrong though. Well they went with Davis and Smith as rookies so anything is possible but no way you tag smith with what it cost for a cb!
    Tagging him at 10 million for one year is better than giving him 7 or 8 million a year over 5 years if he's not a guy you think will ever put it all together. I haven't really looked into who will be available at CB next year but I'm guessing Sean Smith is one of the top CB's on that list.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans/Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i could see them using the top pick on a 3 down de and letting starks walk and moving odrick inside to dt which is his best position anyways...starks probably commands $8 mil per this offseason he'll get more money than kendall langford got from st louis no doubt about that...

probably have no choice but to keep sean smith just so you don't have so much turnover in the back end on d only good thing about that is since the first quarter of the season he's killed his market free agency wise there was a time i didn't think $10 mil per would get it done the first quarter of the year but he's now probably in the $6 mil per range and despite his poor play of late i think miami has to bite the bullet on that one...we should be proactive and lock up carroll on the cheap now before the price goes up could probably get him inked to a 3 year $5 mil deal which would be a bargain and if he did fall off the table you have very little money invested cap wise to worry about...use a top 2 round pick one of our top 3 picks on a cb they go fast you better not wait around on corners or you'll be left empty handed

in free agency priority number uno should be getting a high end level wr...5 years $50 mil something in that range...one of mike wallace dwayne bowe or greg jennings needs to be a dolphin...we need guys ready now...still i'd use a top 2 round top 3 pick of ours on a wr also to add to the talent at the position which is lacking...if you add mike wallace you add a much needed speed element that must be respected you add bowe you add a win wr at the los and off press and a run after the catch provider who can win in the red zone and plays to his size...something this core needs desperately...jennings gives you the smarts for this system and the jack of all trades ability and he understands db leverage and runs the best back shoulder route in the game...no excuses miami must land a difference making wr in free agency

offer jake long 2 years and $12 mil if he balks let him walk...can always kick martin over to the left side and use a mid round pick on a right tackle or a veteran signing on the relative cheap...

lose reggie bush mr terrible fit for the zone inside running game way too much east and west for this o...give the keys to lamar miller for the starting job but cover yourself by adding a veteran on the cheap that runs downhill and angry like a chris ivory...you can find guys like that very cheap and they'll outproduce their pay...ivory probably less than $1 million...

on the fence about fasano but he's the only guy that can play in line and block...egnews never gonna block anyone clays not gonna win in line off tackle so fasano probably needs to stick...

shocker signing for me that i would make is chris clemons...yep mr stiff hips and no ball skills and playmaking ability at free safety...he hasn't made any plays on the ball this year and probably never will but he's been pretty solid all told and miamis got too many other big needs to let him walk when they can sign him cheap...i'm thinking 1 year $3 mil...enough that he won't go elsewhere and he allows you another year to by time before you make free safety a priority if you need to...

pretty easy and simple plan for the offseason...i might be more inclined to sign starks though provided i can maybe talk him into 3 years and $20 mil just so i don't kill my depth at dt...but odrick will play a high end 43 dt for you so tough one to call...

sign hartline nothing more than $6 mil per...he's earned a new contract with the team and he can make some plays against #2 cbs and nickle guys etc while our alpha wr opposite him takes on the top level corner on each team...
    dont disagree with much here but i can tell you one thing... if we sign dwayne bowe to a 10 mil per year deal, when people actually get a chance to watch how he plays and bad his hands are, they are gonna forget all about how many balls Brandon Marshall dropped. gonna be some serious buyers remorse on that one.

IMO its Greg Jennings all day. will probably be cheaper, and a healthy greg is still a better receiver than either of those guys. we all know mike wallace has all world speed, but the more i watch him the less i see him truly being able to make that next step into being a truly elite receiver. It kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson (not in regards to his height) but in regards to how his game progressed from purely a deep threat into an elite deep threat with moderate ability in other areas for about a year... and then just regressed and never has been able to get over the hump. Mike Wallace has the benefit of a qb who will relentlessly attempt to get him the ball, and I'm just not sold that Mike will take the next step.

I'd rather sign greg, draft a WR or two, and use the extra 2 million by not spending max dollars on wallace or bowe to continue to address other holes. you cant fix all the holes this offseason and lord knows we already have enough as is... still need 2 more guys in the secondary, another pass rusher, possibly 2 OG, possibly a RT if jake walks and we slide martin over, still need a WR or 2, a modern day receiving tight end.... not to mention we need depth at positions other than DT.

gonna be an interesting off season... thats for sure
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoopshoops is more on track with my way of thinking. Good post!
    Quote Quote