Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Offseason Notes/Let the discussion begin.

1. -11
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    "michael egnew...who the dolphins believe is still not ready to contribute..." god dang what a waste...

i'd be worried about ireland pulling playmakers like egnew and patrick turner with high picks if i was this fan base...5 picks sounds great til he burns them on garbage....

i'd also be worried about that jake long contract people cause i think ireland is willing to pay to retain his services more than we think...at the right price to jeff might be $10 mil per...and he's just not worth that kind of cap hit...i bet he overpays sean smith also and maybe hartline...$7 mil per for hartline is overpaying...

seems to me reggie bush is on the outs...i like it actually...time to move on

and if he thinks he's gonna low ball any of those free agent wrs he's wrong...we won't get any of them if he doesn't make a legitimate offer...and if we go the rookie route with the alpha wr none of this class is ready to kill it from the jump...so be ready to be patient on that

I don't say this often but im not sure I agree re. Long, Smith and Hartline, one of the things Ireland does well is signing players to team friendly contracts.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    I don't say this often but im not sure I agree re. Long, Smith and Hartline, one of the things Ireland does well is signing players to team friendly contracts.
    that's a fair statement given his history...but i also think unlike in years past he's got some guys that are set to be free that he really has no choice but to resign...and so i think that could play into things...mainly with hartline and smith...and jake long was his #1 pick years ago and i get the feeling he's gonna do what it takes to retain him...even if it is a bit over the top of what we think it should be...but we'll see...the wake contract was an excellent one as was the solia 2 year deal so you have a point
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm confident that with Philbin and his staff now in the draft room (replacing Sparono and his inept staff) the drafts will continue to get better and better. I like our last draft and it was Irelands best one, in my opinion.

I'm not so doom and gloom about the retention of Ireland. Sure, if the perfect candidate came along and we were able to keep Philbin and Co. I wouldn't be mad if Ireland were to get canned. But, I don't think it's that easy and all signs point to Ireland staying put so I'm trying to be optimistic about this. This is indeed the biggest off season for the Dolphins in awhile so I understand that people are nervous.
    "Any ideology that fundamentally divides one group from another and prevents them from recognizing their common humanity is a problem" - Sam Harris

Fin fan till' the coffin slams!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff believes he's good at drafting. That's adorable.

Saying you believe in building through the draft is so ridiculously redundant at this point. It's like saying you believe in gravity. EVERYONE says they believe in building through the draft.

It's hard to imagine that Sean and Hartline won't end up being severely overpaid due to our desperate need at those positions even though they are far from critical members. They'd be easily replaceable for a deeper team.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland doesn't have any fans left. The fanbases opinion of Ireland ranges from hatred to meh, if thats not a huge red flag I don't know what is. Even Sparano and Henne still had some supporters left at the bitter end.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Ireland doesn't have any fans left. The fanbases opinion of Ireland ranges from hatred to meh, if thats not a huge red flag I don't know what is. Even Sparano and Henne still had some supporters left at the bitter end.
    Isn't it amazing? I haven't seen anyone make a crazy rant for Ireland, while Sparano and Henne definitely had their fanatics till the end. The most positive supporters he has left just consider him with apathy. Honestly, I've been kind of looking around for some pro Ireland posters to try to make some case for him, but I don't know what that case would be. Apparently his supporters haven't thought of a good case for him yet either. I think the fact that Long and Vontae have fallen through really cut into the he always hits on 1st rounders platform. The level of failure the FA signings reached this year might have put things into perspective.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If I could have just one free agent this year it would be Wallace
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You see explosive athletes on the outside everywhere in the NFL. Yet, we don't have one. If that doesn't say everything you need to know about Ireland and his 5 years of preparing the draft, than I don't know what does.

The guy simply can't be trusted. We are all looking forward to the offseason, as the right additions could really makes us a serious playoff contender. However, my hope is tempered by Ireland. As was stated in another thread, let us hope that Philbin has major input into the acquisition of players. Or, hope against hope, that Ireland is sh**canned.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "michael egnew...who the dolphins believe is still not ready to contribute..." god dang what a waste...

i'd be worried about ireland pulling playmakers like egnew and patrick turner with high picks if i was this fan base...5 picks sounds great til he burns them on garbage....

i'd also be worried about that jake long contract people cause i think ireland is willing to pay to retain his services more than we think...at the right price to jeff might be $10 mil per...and he's just not worth that kind of cap hit...i bet he overpays sean smith also and maybe hartline...$7 mil per for hartline is overpaying...

and if he thinks he's gonna low ball any of those free agent wrs he's wrong...we won't get any of them if he doesn't make a legitimate offer...and if we go the rookie route with the alpha wr none of this class is ready to kill it from the jump...so be ready to be patient on that

Sorry hoops, I usually agree with you but this time you are less than correct. Michael Egnew Was an acknowledged prospect coming out of college. The scheme he played under utilized him more as a wide receiver and slot receiver more than a conventional tight end. It was clearly said on draft day on both networks (ESPN & NFL network) that he needed to both bulk up, and learn blocking technique before he could play effectively in the NFL game.

I respect the time and effort you put in, but from that effort I expect better accuracy than the average poster. I cannot believe if I caught and remembered this from draft day that you would be oblivious to it. Don't fuel the fire from these ignorant fans who just like to rant and rave after a loss. Michael is what he is and hopefully will be a productive player next year. Expecting anything from them this year is not reasonable despite his draft position.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I completely agree, if it comes down to paying one of the top free agent receiver 7 mil a season i'd rather see Bowe, Jennings or Wallace than Hartline...Hartline is not a 1 receiver in this league, and I dont care what the numbers say..His speed is mediocre and his YAC are well below good # 1 receivers..If he's willing to take 4-5 mil a year it's one thing..But to pay him #1 receiver money would be retarded

Quote Quote