Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about last years draft

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

A question about last years draft

So I decided to have a look at the draft reports from last season about Egnew. They mostly seem pretty positive, rating him as a talented TE who was one of the better options in the draft. Lets forget his lack of success this season. What did you draft guys think of him this time last year? Was he a bad pick? (the reports I have read made me think it wasn't) or has something just went wrong with him when asked to step up to the next level?

Im very curious about this as from what I have seen/read I cant help but think if we could get him playing to his potential he could be the TE we so badly need.

Cheers guys, I value your input.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought he was a good pick in the 3rd round, and I had a 3rd round grade on him. I think he needed time to get his strength up, but in terms of his football IQ I didn't interview him so there's no way for me to know. Athletically, he tested at the top in terms of TE's at the combine: 4.62 / 40 yard dash (4th among TE's)..... 21 / bench reps (Tied for 5th among TE's)..... 36" / vertical jump (Tied for 1st among TE's)..... 10'11" / broad jump (1st among TE's).... 7.03 / 3-cone (4th among TE's)..... 4.32 / short shuttle (4th among TE's)..... 12.07 / 60-yard shuttle (Tied for 6th among TE's).... basically he tested in the top 5 in every category except one, and tested 1st in two categories. His production on the field his last two seasons at Missouri were tops among TE's.... the only thing that really jumped out at me was a low yards/catch average and lack of TD's. He didn't miss games due to injury and was a durable, dependable player. I think he only missed 2 games.... one his freshman year and one his sophomore year. His tape looked good making catches matched up with legitimate NFL defenders draped all over him like Lavonte David, etc. If he doesn't turn out to be at least a serviceable player I'll be surprised. It would have to be due to something that I didn't have access to, such as whether or not he knows how to get on the same page with his quarterback via PSR (invert, rotate, zero, quarter, half, zone blitz, robber, etc.) and how to identify and attack coverages. We already knew he wasn't used in-line, and therefore didn't understand leverage.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not convinced that he couldn't make a few plays now if they just put him on the field. Same way I felt about Rishard Matthews all season. I know he can make plays if they just let him play. He's subject to make some mistakes, but he'll make plays too. If mistakes are what's keeping some of these guys from entering the game, then most of the roster should be sitting on the bench right beside 'em.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Thanks Slim, great posts. Im glad you still see some hope, I have felt all season that some have given up on him far too early.

I hope he sees some action in these last few games, what do we have to lose?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you don't want to see my predraft and immediate post draft takes on michael egnew if you want to feel good about what he has to offer...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Egnew has the same problem that his predecessor had Chase Coffman. In Mizzou's offense, the TE is a slower WR. The blocking the TE does, if any, does not prepare them for the NFL. Until he learns to block, I do not think that we will see him on the field.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought he was a solid pick for the third round.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Every draft publication I could find had between a 3rd and 5th round grade on Egnew. I liked the pick at the time and believe Egnew was not a reach.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Falkirk PhinFan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Falkirk , Scotland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I dont believe were "giving up on him" , some players take longer to develop than others. lets give him another pre-season and see if he gets any reps next year, a season watching and learning during games whilst bulking up a little and perfecting his blocking isn't a bad thing. I believed he was a good solid pick where we got him and still believe that..
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Liked his potential, but felt he was gonna be the 3rd TE at best this year. Though I did feel we'd use him as Philbin loved using TEs in Green Bay.

Has a lot to learn, but people shouldn't be ready to throw him to the curb yet
    Quote Quote