Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Parker: RG3 A Cornball Brother

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Glad to see he has been suspended by ESPN. His remarks are unjustifiable with any context.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    You guy's got it twisted. You need to watch the whole segment.

He never called RG3 a 'cornball brother', he's just stating the factual truth that some people, black people, that he's talked to are wondering why this whole black quarterback issue keeps coming up; the fact that he's engaged to a white women & votes Republican is probably a bit perplexing to some of those people as well. He went on to talk about the level of admiration he had for Tiger Woods, until Woods said on Oprah, "I resent being called black", & compared that with Obama's situation. Obama could've said, "we'll, don't call me the first black president, I'm bi-racial, etc", but he didn't; he didn't shy away from being called a black president, or a black man.

Parker said, "no kid ever sets out to be the best black anything", he's not suggesting that as a black man he should be held to some different standard, that's not what this is about. He's just voicing an apparent real concern he's witnessed within some parts of the African American community about RG3 possibly turning his back on his people, ala Tiger Woods, Micheal Jackson, or what have you. How founded or unfounded that concern may be is another matter.

But seriously, before any of you make any judgement you have to see the whole segment. That article author is clearly not a fan of the show, he misrepresented things & took quotes out of context. When I watched this live I thought the whole thing was pretty benign. I had no idea there'd be a stink about it.
    Isn't thatkind of like when you have a friend with this problem? Think he might have been projecting on anonymous "friends" to make his point? I dunno man, i think i'm with Stephen A., much as i dislike the ass-clown. And he did own the question. He says it's his question, not anyone elses.
    I once heard and interview with Tony Atlas about his tag team partner Rocky Johnson. He said he was a black man who hated black people. Now, that in and of itself is not racist. But the fact is there are some people in this world who loathe the sterotype of their own race they attempt to escape it by acting white. Do i think RG3 does that? No, i don't. But apparently that how Parker feels about RG3.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    I actually watched the whole segment. In context, what he said wasn't that inflammatory at all.

There's no way on Earth he should be punished in any way, shape, or form.
    Why was he then?

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Why was he then?
    PC bullcrap

Infantile society
    Last edited by rob19; 12-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    How many of you have actually watched the segment in it's entirety?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I respect his right to have an opinion. I also respect the right of those who disagree with his opinion. finally I respect the right of espn to can him for speaking his opinion on a public venue.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What would happen to Skip Bayless if he questioned RGIII's blackness? Does ESPN conduct a full review of the manner or do they fire him on live television the second it leaves his mouth?

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    I respect his right to have an opinion. I also respect the right of those who disagree with his opinion. finally I respect the right of espn to can him for speaking his opinion on a public venue.
    Wasn't really his opinion. He's voicing an apparent real concern with people he's spoken with. This "Rob Parker called RG3 an Uncle Tom" nonsense is really off-base.

I get the feeling I'm the only one in this thread who's seen the entire segment, the blow-back from this is absolutely absurd to me. I don't know how all of you can be calling for someone's job when you have virtually almost no insight into what actually happened.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Wasn't really his opinion. He's voicing an apparent real concern with people he's spoken with. This "Rob Parker called RG3 an Uncle Tom" nonsense is really off-base.

I get the feeling I'm the only one in this thread who's seen the entire segment, the blow-back from this is absolutely absurd to me. I don't know how all of you can be calling for someone's job when you have virtually almost no insight into what actually happened.
    I don't really care what he said. I've seen people canned for less. you gotta know when you're close to crossing an imaginary line and that your job is on that same line. bad or not, perception is a motherer and OBVIOUSLY the major perception here is that he ed up with what he said, and that, is what is important to remember.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    I don't really care what he said. I've seen people canned for less. you gotta know when you're close to crossing an imaginary line and that your job is on that same line. bad or not, perception is a motherer and OBVIOUSLY the major perception here is that he ed up with what he said, and that, is what is important to remember.
    I get all that, but it just seems to me that the majority of the people with that perception are held by those who haven't even seen the whole segment, but rather just saw a 1 minute clip, or read some headlines by authors who misrepresented & twisted the discussion; context should matter. I don't know how anyone could have a strong opinion about this without having watched it, it's an opinion from ignorance. I searched high & low for the whole segment but I couldn't find anything. I guarantee that if some of you watched the whole thing, most of you would come out thinking the whole discussion was pretty benign, & definitely not worthy of the fuss being made over it (unless of course you're already dead-set on being dug in to your original position).

I do think it's a sign of cultural immaturity that we can't have an honest & open discussion about race, whether you agree with the person or not. Idk, having actually watched the segment, the whole situation is kind of a shame to me personally.
    Quote Quote