Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -21
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    i have to say i have lost alot of faith in humanity. my wife and i went to see a movie a few weeks ago and i was looking around at the exits. for the first time in my life i have thought about where i will send my kids to school when they get of age. i am seriously debating home schooling. maybe i am just getting old, but i never used to think this way before.

dont get me wrong, i dont wake up paranoid or anything, i just think the world in general is decaying.
    If/when Nina and I have kids, they are going to a private school. I've read far too many research papers to discredit the fact that the overall experience is exponentially better in private schools as opposed to public. And there is FAR less incidents of violence, especially stuff like this...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Gonzo....for now we will agree to disagree.

Lets not forget the 20+ chinese kids that got sliced up today too..

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1220230
    Well, good to see we're competing with China for most kids killed, though we're still "winning" today as apparently guns are more effective than knives. Shocking. But, let's get back to discussing whether or not we should tax extremely rich people.

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    here's the thing with the 2nd amendment.... its 220 years old. Granted, it was applicable back then because you needed a gun to protect yourself/town from militia. 220 years ago, people weren't concerned with buying a semi-automatic weapon... because they didn't exist.

In 2012, it just allows nutbags indirect access to killing machines.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    as the op said he did not want to turn this into a debate about gun control, and i understand that a regular civilian does not need semi automatic machine guns, etc in there homes, but the truth is i do not believe that something like this can be prevented from someone so possessed, unless its through tighter security, etc.

evil people will always find ways to do evil crimes, whether we outlaw certain types of weapons or not. most of society fortunately is not like this, but for the evil people that are, they will always find a way to commit there act.

yes outlawing certain types of weapons would make it harder, but unfortunately i do not believe there are anyways to '' eliminate'' the use of these weapons.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    If/when Nina and I have kids, they are going to a private school. I've read far too many research papers to discredit the fact that the overall experience is exponentially better in private schools as opposed to public. And there is FAR less incidents of violence, especially stuff like this...
    My first is due any day now (please not on Christmas!), and he will not be going to school in the U.S. unless I can afford a top end private school, and even then it's unlikely. We have the benefit of my wife being Canadian though, so we can get a private school level education at a public school, and do so without nearly as much risk of somebody massacring a bunch of kids.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    SMFH on people that scream gun control over this.

99% of ALL gun owners own them for recreational use, hell I'll go out on a limb and say 99.9% of them do. 1 incident where 1 person went full retard does not change the 99% of people that own guns for the hell of it. I own almost 30 guns. A couple AR15s and AKs but mostly handguns and shotguns. Am I gonna go shoot up a school? no. Will I shoot up some targets on my land? yes.

So before you go all rioting over gun control, use some sense.

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is truly an abhorent situtation that was created by a truly sick, demented, and/or evil human being. However, I have to seriously disagree with implementing gun control as a means of preventing this type of tragedy in the future. In Connecticut, it is already illegal to purchase or bring assault weapons in the state. It is also already illegal for people under 21 to purchase or have ownership transfered to them of handguns. They can, however, purchase ammunition and long guns (rifles and shotguns) at age 18. They also have a long list of people who do not qualify to purchase guns who might pose a threat to themselves or society. Nonetheless, tragedies like this occur...because people kill people. The shooter was 20 so he couldn't legally buy his own handgun and couldn't legally buy an assault weapon. Yet, it is rumored that he had both. If someone doesn't mind slaughtering a bunch of unarmed teachers and children, why in the hell would they care if the gun they used to do it was legal? All gun legislation will do is take guns out of the possession of law abiding citizens and create a horrific black market. Let's not politicize this, let's just mourn the poor people who have been affected.

As many of you have stated, I too have lost a lot of faith in humanity and am terrified of the world left for my children and their children. Whether you believe in God or not, no one can argue much with the proclivity of evil that we face today although, I suppose that man has inherently been evil forever. Sad, sad, sad.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What's with the smiley faces when I use ??
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyfins4eva View Post
    as the op said he did not want to turn this into a debate about gun control, and i understand that a regular civilian does not need semi automatic machine guns, etc in there homes, but the truth is i do not believe that something like this can be prevented from someone so possessed, unless its through tighter security, etc.

evil people will always find ways to do evil crimes, whether we outlaw certain types of weapons or not. most of society fortunately is not like this, but for the evil people that are, they will always find a way to commit there act.

yes outlawing certain types of weapons would make it harder, but unfortunately i do not believe there are anyways to '' eliminate'' the use of these weapons.
    I think that was the other thread in the Lounge, but too bad, it needs to be discussed now. Enough of "later."
    Quote Quote