Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    If/when Nina and I have kids, they are going to a private school. I've read far too many research papers to discredit the fact that the overall experience is exponentially better in private schools as opposed to public. And there is FAR less incidents of violence, especially stuff like this...
    My wife and I home school our grandaughter who lives with us. We started because of her health issues but found that it was a far superior education with a lot more control as to what and how she learned. She is also a lot safer and has a TON of social interaction that is on hers and our terms. She is heavily involved in her youth group at church, two local theatre companies, and a home school co-op with sports and all of the typical high school activities. In a lot of ways, she has more social opportunities than a lot of traditionally schooled kids. I was worried that she would become some kind of anti-social freak but I was absolutely wrong...she has blossomed socially moreso than ever and has gained tons of confidence. It can be a bit expensive but you can control the costs down to next to nothing and whatever the investment, it is well worth it. My wife and I have poured our lives into this child and protecting and guiding her is worth everything.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I was there a few years ago. The night life was seriously the best I've ever experienced. In general, Canadians are much friendlier than your average American, which led to me having the kind of success with some ladies there that I never had here. Of course I'm married now, but I still wouldn't mind living there still. Apparently it's tough to immigrate to Canada these days though...
    I have family there, my mom was born there, and is Canadian.

I'm going there next summer on a family vacation. My wife wants to see it so bad.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyfins4eva View Post
    im in the same boat as u man. i own a decent amount of guns as well, and i would never even think about doing something on a magnitude like this, heck i would be hesitant to shoot someone who was a threat to me until i absolutely had to act.

this is 1 sicko ( yes this has been happening frequently sadly more recently) who decided to commit a horrible act like this. the majority of society would never do something like this.

also, as i stated in another post, evil people will always find away to commit evil acts. there are tons of things that are illegal in this country, yet people find ways to get there hands on it. unfortunately no law will most likely be able to stop an event like this. it can make it harder to commit possibly, but i do not know if anything can be done to prevent something like this, unless security is heightened around all schools, and unfortunately that is unrealistic.

this is just an unspeakable tragedy.
    it seems ass-backwards to me that, just because 99% of people who own guns don't snap and kill, it justifies the 1% who do snap and go on murdering sprees. I wish the government would focus the same energy on the gun control war that they expend on the drug war. 220 year old amendment is old.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    My wife and I home school our grandaughter who lives with us. We started because of her health issues but found that it was a far superior education with a lot more control as to what and how she learned. She is also a lot safer and has a TON of social interaction that is on hers and our terms. She is heavily involved in her youth group at church, two local theatre companies, and a home school co-op with sports and all of the typical high school activities. In a lot of ways, she has more social opportunities than a lot of traditionally schooled kids. I was worried that she would become some kind of anti-social freak but I was absolutely wrong...she has blossomed socially moreso than ever and has gained tons of confidence. It can be a bit expensive but you can control the costs down to next to nothing and whatever the investment, it is well worth it. My wife and I have poured our lives into this child and protecting and guiding her is worth everything.
    While I would never do it myself, I can respect you and your wife for doing it the right way. The problem with most "home-schooled" kids is that they just don't learn anything. The families like yours who take it seriously are few and far between. Most use it as an excuse to just keep their kids out of school. I'm glad she is getting the socialization she needs. I would think that would be the biggest issue for any kids who home school...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    what sense? the fact that 20 children will not be going home because they are laying dead in a school right now? the fact that thousands of people lives are ruined forever because some crazy narcissitic punk decided he was upset with the world and wanted to take some children with him? i dont care if almost all gun owners are responsible, there needs to be a stop to people buying guns that use 100's of rounds at a time. why do you need to shoot a gun with that many bullets? are you that bad of a shot? i would rather hurt your fragile ego, then to have to deal with my daughters coming accross a reject like this.

you only care about yourself and your stupid hobby, i hope you enjoy shooting your machine gun, because 20 kids are dead because of it.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Also there would be plenty of "gun dealing" murders going on. You think drug deals are everywhere.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    what sense? the fact that 20 children will not be going home because they are laying dead in a school right now? the fact that thousands of people lives are ruined forever because some crazy narcissitic punk decided he was upset with the world and wanted to take some children with him? i dont care if almost all gun owners are responsible, there needs to be a stop to people buying guns that use 100's of rounds at a time. why do you need to shoot a gun with that many bullets? are you that bad of a shot? i would rather hurt your fragile ego, then to have to deal with my daughters coming accross a reject like this.

you only care about yourself and your stupid hobby, i hope you enjoy shooting your machine gun, because 20 kids are dead because of it.
    Although I certainly appreciate and understand your passion as I want to protect my children as well, you can take a look at my post a few pages back and see that it appears this jerk used guns that were illegal for him to buy in the first place. He was OK with killing a bunch of unarmed teachers and kids, do you think that he was worried about doing it with a legal weapon? Gun laws don't work on anyone but the lawful and don't benefit anyone but the unlawful.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-s...opstories.html

First grade teacher Kaitlin Roig, 29, locked her 14 students in a classroom bathroom and listened to "tons of shooting" until police came to help.

"It was horrific," Roig said. "I thought we were going to die."

She said that the terrified kids were saying, "I just want Christmas…I don't want to die. I just want to have Christmas."

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I was there a few years ago. The night life was seriously the best I've ever experienced. In general, Canadians are much friendlier than your average American, which led to me having the kind of success with some ladies there that I never had here. Of course I'm married now, but I still wouldn't mind living there still. Apparently it's tough to immigrate to Canada these days though...
    Sorry for the tangent in the thread, but their immigration system is pretty good. It's a points system based on skills, and that includes labor skills. The points needed vary each cycle (not sure how often they change) based on the needs of the country and of the individual provinces. So it may be easier to immigrate to certain provinces if they are in need of a specific specialty. It's definitely something I hope we look into when revamping our antiquated immigration laws.

Now back to the horrible topic we have to discuss far too frequently.

Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    While I would never do it myself, I can respect you and your wife for doing it the right way. The problem with most "home-schooled" kids is that they just don't learn anything. The families like yours who take it seriously are few and far between. Most use it as an excuse to just keep their kids out of school. I'm glad she is getting the socialization she needs. I would think that would be the biggest issue for any kids who home school...
    It is a ton of work and takes constant attention from us as well as dedication and responsibility for her. The socialization is just a commitment that has to happen if you want a normal kid and not a misfit. However, it is all worth it.

I lived a couple of years in Jamaica as a kid and loved the British school system with I would assume is similar to Canada's. I loved my school there and would send my kids in a heartbeat if given the chance!
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    That's a hard job. Congrats on doing it well.
    Quote Quote