Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -291
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Was he declared mentally ill by the state???

From what I read people who knew him said he was a quiet type and was really smart too. Unless the state declared him metally ill I don't see how you could have prevented this.
    Everything I read stated that he had plenty of problems. Knowing that her kid had problems, she should not have had guns in the house. The blood is on her hands as well, not that it matters anymore. In her case, nothing can be done now, but in the future, if parents have guns in their house and their kid shows signs of mental illness and they do nothing about it, they should be held responsible as well. At the very least, the guns should have been more securely stored. Sorry, I will not buy that nothing could have been done. That's cop-out. If you know you're kid has problems and you choose to a) do nothing about it and b) keep guns within his reach, and he goes out and shoots up a school with those guns, you are responsible. But by all means, stick with the apathy. How very American. Don't worry, nothing will be done about it.

Quote Quote  

2. -292
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    It's posts like this that actually make me regret being on staff here. I can't really utilize the ignore function anymore.

You see, for years it used to be - someone's opinion would annoy me to the point where I'd decide that their opinions were likely to cause ... Well, it doesn't really matter because I'm stuck paying attention to everything the mouth-breathing masses say.
    Blah, blah, blah. A post full of puffed up hot air. Not that I expected any different. Then he asks a few posts down how he hasn't seen any suggestions of how to getting guns off the streets. LOL. My opinion were likely to cause .... What? Shoot someone?
    Quote Quote  

3. -293
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me, but does anyone realistically think we could ban all guns?

Gonzo said something like 88 out of every 100 homes own guns, do you really think you could realistically put a prohibition on something that such a high percentage of the population demands? Does anyone really think you can overnight make 88% of the population a felon? Frankly, it's an absurd notion imo.

If you want to talk about banning military grade assault rifles, that's a rational conversation. You want to talk about stricter regulations, that's a rational conversation. Banning hand-guns, shotguns, & hunting rifles? Too much demand for a prohibition of these things to work. I will never understand the notion that simply making something illegal magically solves the problem. When the demand for something is high enough, the supply will be met. All that ban would do is empower would-be gun cartels with an easy source of revenue, because the demand for guns will exist, whether you agree with it or not.

Fyi, I don't own a gun. I just don't like senseless prohibitions. Is alcohol bad? Of course, & look how that prohibition turned out. Prohibition only works when an overwhelming percentage of the population agrees with said prohibition, & as evidenced by Gonzo's 88% statistic, that's clearly not the case here.
    Clearly banning all guns is not going to happen. Lets see what percentage of the populations thinks semi/autos should be banned following this massacre. I'm sure there will be plenty of polls in the days ahead.
    Quote Quote  

4. -294
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nope. I eat them.
    A squirrel shot with a shot gun? Not much left.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

5. -295
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's posts like this that actually make me regret being on staff here. I can't really utilize the ignore function anymore.

You see, for years it used to be - someone's opinion would annoy me to the point where I'd decide that their opinions were likely to cause ... Well, it doesn't really matter because I'm stuck paying attention to everything the mouth-breathing masses say.
    Cause what?
    Maybe comments like that from people are the reason we need gun laws. If you get all fuzzed up over a forum I shudder to think what you would do in real life with a real debate. If you can't spell it out in a forum what a different opinion would likely to cause (you to do what???) then what are you going to do in real life? Pull your squirrel killing shotgun?

How far can someone push someone else in a real debate until that person snaps and pulls a gun because he/she can do it (based on current laws)? Is your right to carry any type of gun and possible use it as thread superceedeng others right to have the freedom of speech or even the right to live?
    Quote Quote  

6. -296
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Everything I read stated that he had plenty of problems. Knowing that her kid had problems, she should not have had guns in the house. The blood is on her hands as well, not that it matters anymore. In her case, nothing can be done now, but in the future, if parents have guns in their house and their kid shows signs of mental illness and they do nothing about it, they should be held responsible as well. At the very least, the guns should have been more securely stored. Sorry, I will not buy that nothing could have been done. That's cop-out. If you know you're kid has problems and you choose to a) do nothing about it and b) keep guns within his reach, and he goes out and shoots up a school with those guns, you are responsible. But by all means, stick with the apathy. How very American. Don't worry, nothing will be done about it.
    I honestly do not know what the law is on this, or even if there is one, but for the most part I will have to agree with Gonzo on this.

I take responsibility for my firearms, and anything anyone does with them. I have talked about my brother in law, and I will have to check if he has been classified mentally ill, but honestly it doesn't matter if they have or have not, he should not be anywhere around guns. It has come up in conversation in my house that we can never put him up for one of those stretches that he constantly finds himself in without a place to stay.

I told my wife that I would have to move all my guns somewhere else, because who knows what he would do as soon as he got the chance?
    Quote Quote  

7. -297
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Cause what?
    Maybe comments like that from people are the reason we need gun laws. If you get all fuzzed up over a forum I shudder to think what you would do in real life with a real debate. If you can't spell it out in a forum what a different opinion would likely to cause (you to do what???) then what are you going to do in real life? Pull your squirrel killing shotgun?

How far can someone push someone else in a real debate until that person snaps and pulls a gun because he/she can do it (based on current laws)? Is your right to carry any type of gun and possible use it as thread superceedeng others right to have the freedom of speech or even the right to live?
    This guy should not be allowed to have guns. I'm glad someone else picked up on his totally absurd behavior.
    Quote Quote  

8. -298
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A northern Indiana man who allegedly threatened to "kill as many people as he could" at an elementary school near his home was arrested by officers who later found 47 guns and ammunition hidden throughout his home.

Von. I. Meyer, 60, of Cedar Lake, was arrested Saturday after prosecutors filed formal charges of felony intimidation, domestic battery and resisting law enforcement against him. He was being held Sunday without bond at the Lake County Jail, pending an initial hearing on the charges, police said in a statement.

Cedar Lake Police officers were called to Meyer's home early Friday after he allegedly threatened to set his wife on fire once she fell asleep, the statement said.

Meyer also threatened to enter nearby Jane Ball Elementary School "and kill as many people as he could before police could stop him," the statement said. Meyer's home is less than 1,000 feet from the school and linked to it by trails and paths through a wooded area, police said.

Police said in the statement that they notified school officials and boosted security at all area schools Friday — the same day 26 people, including 20 students, were shot and killed at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.
    http://news.yahoo.com/ind-man-47-guns-arrested-school-threat-164928349.html

No stricter regulations necessary, no problems, just keep on keeping on.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

9. -299
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/ind-man-47-guns-arrested-school-threat-164928349.html

No stricter regulations necessary, no problems, just keep on keeping on.
    I do not understand the need to vilify law abiding citizens for the act of a monster, much of the repression of change has much to do with many of the calls to outright ban, maybe not by you, but others.

Is it really that hard to understand that the literal thousands of laws on firearms we have today did nothing to stop this, thus leaving open the possibility of further legislation having no affect?

I saw a CNN report just yesterday (yes CNN) that said the AWB did nothing to curtail crime, is it that much of a problem when people ask for reasonable people to get together, maybe think outside the box and be able to come up with something that actually works?

Where have I said, or any other gun owner said no problems, just keep going?
    Quote Quote  

10. -300
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    How do you know your kid is capable of such a vile act?? Judging from most of these types of cases the parents usually don't think their kid would do something like this. I agree that if people are mentally ill then you should lock up your guns. That's something you should do anyways. Maybe she did lock hers up but he killed her and found the key you never know. Determined crazy people will find ways to pull this stuff off unfortunately. I would support better ways to make sure crazy people don't get a hold of guns. But even with that you'll never be able to stop something like this from happening. What if he went in there with swords or a bomb. Or just used his car to run kids over.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote