Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 313

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

  1. -241
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,565
    vCash:
    6998
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Personally, for reasons Awsi Dooger stated much more eloquently than I can, Ill never own a gun for self defense. I wont hold it against those that do, but they are definitely on the wrong side of math.

    I doubt Ill ever own a gun at all because I find hunting things that dont live underwater to be tedious and boring. Give me a spear and some air. **** a gun, man. I will say though, shooting ranges are pretty fun.




    Quote Quote  

  2. -242
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    27,438
    vCash:
    8515
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I hunt squirrel & rabbit with mine.
    True you do hunt anything with a pulse

    ---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

    Hospitals aren't safe now

    http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12...ay--83148.html



    Quote Quote  

  3. -243
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    9,545
    vCash:
    40404
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    1. I was simply annoyed at people acting like those who own guns are fugged in the head.
    Which I don't believe, anyway. From a statistics standpoint it's a nonsensical thing to do (it is, as Awsi pointed out, 47 times more likely you or a loved one will be killed by a gun in your house than an intruder will be warded off or killed by one). But that doesn't make you crazy. Not by itself, anyway.

    2. You don't think crimes of passion are committed with knives every day in this country? & yourself.
    Of course they are. Guns, though, are inarguably more destructive. Hand guns less so than automatic weapons, but more so than knives. So you're setting the bar below automatic weapons but using arguments that would support them being legal.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -244
    GoFins!'s Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    492
    vCash:
    1096
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    It's pretty difficult even for crazy mo-fo's to shoot people if they don't have a gun.
    Until you come up with a way to "un-invent" the gun this argument is beneath you. Guns exist and criminals will break laws to acquire them. When guns are banned only law abiding citizens will turn them in. Criminals won't.

    Talking about "they don't have a gun" isn't realistic until you come up with a way to get to "they don't have a gun". You're skipping a step that is nearly impossible to get to an idealistic, but unrealistic, solution.
    ďIím somewhat disappointed that more African Americans donít think for themselves and just go with whatever theyíre supposed to say and think."


    - Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

  5. -245
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,426
    vCash:
    27120
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Perhaps to a degree. However, when there is no difference in level of punishment from state to state - all bets are off.
    Again, that is assuming most criminals go to other states to commit crimes, which is highly unlikely. Sure, criminals will still commit crime. They'll still want to steal. They'll still abuse their wives, etc. They just resort to less violent means, which is a good thing. I'll take getting mugged with a knife over a gun any day.





    Quote Quote  

  6. -246
    irish fin fan's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2010
    Posts:
    1,161
    vCash:
    1251
    Thanks / No Thanks

    27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Your point???

    You do realize that companies make speed loaders for revolvers, right?

    Or, are you another "guns-are-inherently-evil" type?
    Then the speed loaders need to be banned too.

    A gun doesn't kill, a person pulling its trigger kills. If this guy had a nuclear bomb he would probably use it. Likewise, we need to keep semi's etc out of these peoples hands.

    They should be banned out right for new applicants. For existing owners, bring in mandatory testing every 5 years, or whatever makes since, psych test etc. If they don't pass, license is revoked and they have to turn the weapons in with government paying compensation. It might take 50 years to remove a large proportion of semis etc but so what? You have to start somewhere.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -247
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    9,545
    vCash:
    40404
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Until you come up with a way to "un-invent" the gun this argument is beneath you. Guns exist and criminals will break laws to acquire them. When guns are banned only law abiding citizens will turn them in. Criminals won't.

    Talking about "they don't have a gun" isn't realistic until you come up with a way to get to "they don't have a gun". You're skipping a step that is nearly impossible to get to an idealistic, but unrealistic, solution.
    Go back a few pages. Some of these points have already been covered.

    I used to have more of a conservative position on gun control, but I'm more in flux now. I do, however, think some of the lines offered by those against gun control are nonsensical. It is inarguable to me that lax control laws contribute to gun deaths, and that making guns illegal would save lives. It is inarguable that having a gun in the house makes you less safe, not more.

    That does not necessarily mean they should be illegal, however. Or that all gun control should be done. But those are the valid fields of discussion, imo. Every freedom we have comes with a price, usually in blood. But to argue as Bumpus and others are doing that there's no price to be paid for legal gun ownership is crazy to me. I think they just don't want to have to make the argument that the victims of shootings like the one in Connecticut or Colorado are part of the price you pay.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -248
    irish fin fan's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2010
    Posts:
    1,161
    vCash:
    1251
    Thanks / No Thanks

    27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Go back a few pages. Some of these points have already been covered.

    I used to have more of a conservative position on gun control, but I'm more in flux now. I do, however, think some of the lines offered by those against gun control are nonsensical. It is inarguable to me that lax control laws contribute to gun deaths, and that making guns illegal would save lives. It is inarguable that having a gun in the house makes you less safe, not more.

    That does not necessarily mean they should be illegal, however. Or that all gun control should be done. But those are the valid fields of discussion, imo. Every freedom we have comes with a price, usually in blood. But to argue as Bumpus and others are doing that there's no price to be paid for legal gun ownership is crazy to me. I think they just don't want to have to make the argument that the victims of shootings like the one in Connecticut or Colorado are part of the price you pay.
    Interesting article in my opinion...

    http://www.economist.com/blogs/lexin...12/gun-control
    Quote Quote  

  9. -249
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,433
    vCash:
    1248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "This is not the gun's fault, but guns *do* make this sort of atrocity much, much easier to commit," Townhall editor Guy Benson said on Twitter. "That's indisputable."

    Benson maintained that he isn't a "gun-grabber," but "there is a sickness in society. Guns can both exacerbate& mitigate the consequences of that sickness."

    Conservative author David Frum was panned on Michelle Malkin's Twitchy site for sending a sarcastic tweet this morning: "Obviously, we need to lower the age limit for concealed carry so toddlers can defend themselves."

    Frum followed up with a column arguing that "Every Day is the Day to Talk About Gun Control."

    "Almost uniquely in the world, the United States suffers massacre after massacre after massacre: in schools, in workplaces, in movie theaters, on city streets," Frum wrote. "And after each such massacre, there follows a great hushing: don't you dare mention the most obvious reason for this unique American horror":

    "And I'll say: I'll accept no lectures about "sensitivity" on days of tragedy like today from people who work the other 364 days of the year against any attempt to prevent such tragedies.
    It's bad enough to have a gun lobby. It's the last straw when that lobby also sets up itself as the civility police. It may not be politically possible to do anything about the prevalence of weapons of mass murder. But it damn well ought to be possible to complain about them ó and about the people who condone them."

    A more measured Philip Klein wrote that "Tho misguided, dont think debating gun control is politicizing. Politicizing is blaming political opponents for a tragedy."
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/so...a-in-wake-of-c

    Some great quotes from conservatives.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -250
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,158
    vCash:
    7744
    Thanks / No Thanks





    "Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM
  2. 27 dead in ct elementary school shooting
    By Ilovemyfins4eva in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Parents planted drugs on an elementary school volunteer
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
  4. Dolphins trade OTA to volunteer at Elementary school
    By Nublar7 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
  5. Not it! Mass. elementary school bans tag
    By The_Dark_Knight in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •