Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -241
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Personally, for reasons Awsi Dooger stated much more eloquently than I can, Ill never own a gun for self defense. I wont hold it against those that do, but they are definitely on the wrong side of math.

I doubt Ill ever own a gun at all because I find hunting things that dont live underwater to be tedious and boring. Give me a spear and some air. **** a gun, man. I will say though, shooting ranges are pretty fun.

Quote Quote  

2. -242
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I hunt squirrel & rabbit with mine.
    True you do hunt anything with a pulse

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Hospitals aren't safe now

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12...ay--83148.html

Quote Quote  

3. -243
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1. I was simply annoyed at people acting like those who own guns are fugged in the head.
    Which I don't believe, anyway. From a statistics standpoint it's a nonsensical thing to do (it is, as Awsi pointed out, 47 times more likely you or a loved one will be killed by a gun in your house than an intruder will be warded off or killed by one). But that doesn't make you crazy. Not by itself, anyway.

2. You don't think crimes of passion are committed with knives every day in this country? & yourself.
    Of course they are. Guns, though, are inarguably more destructive. Hand guns less so than automatic weapons, but more so than knives. So you're setting the bar below automatic weapons but using arguments that would support them being legal.
    Quote Quote  

4. -244
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    It's pretty difficult even for crazy mo-fo's to shoot people if they don't have a gun.
    Until you come up with a way to "un-invent" the gun this argument is beneath you. Guns exist and criminals will break laws to acquire them. When guns are banned only law abiding citizens will turn them in. Criminals won't.

Talking about "they don't have a gun" isn't realistic until you come up with a way to get to "they don't have a gun". You're skipping a step that is nearly impossible to get to an idealistic, but unrealistic, solution.
    ďIím somewhat disappointed that more African Americans donít think for themselves and just go with whatever theyíre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

5. -245
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Perhaps to a degree. However, when there is no difference in level of punishment from state to state - all bets are off.
    Again, that is assuming most criminals go to other states to commit crimes, which is highly unlikely. Sure, criminals will still commit crime. They'll still want to steal. They'll still abuse their wives, etc. They just resort to less violent means, which is a good thing. I'll take getting mugged with a knife over a gun any day.

Quote Quote  

6. -246
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

Your point???

You do realize that companies make speed loaders for revolvers, right?

Or, are you another "guns-are-inherently-evil" type?
    Then the speed loaders need to be banned too.

A gun doesn't kill, a person pulling its trigger kills. If this guy had a nuclear bomb he would probably use it. Likewise, we need to keep semi's etc out of these peoples hands.

They should be banned out right for new applicants. For existing owners, bring in mandatory testing every 5 years, or whatever makes since, psych test etc. If they don't pass, license is revoked and they have to turn the weapons in with government paying compensation. It might take 50 years to remove a large proportion of semis etc but so what? You have to start somewhere.
    Quote Quote  

7. -247
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Until you come up with a way to "un-invent" the gun this argument is beneath you. Guns exist and criminals will break laws to acquire them. When guns are banned only law abiding citizens will turn them in. Criminals won't.

Talking about "they don't have a gun" isn't realistic until you come up with a way to get to "they don't have a gun". You're skipping a step that is nearly impossible to get to an idealistic, but unrealistic, solution.
    Go back a few pages. Some of these points have already been covered.

I used to have more of a conservative position on gun control, but I'm more in flux now. I do, however, think some of the lines offered by those against gun control are nonsensical. It is inarguable to me that lax control laws contribute to gun deaths, and that making guns illegal would save lives. It is inarguable that having a gun in the house makes you less safe, not more.

That does not necessarily mean they should be illegal, however. Or that all gun control should be done. But those are the valid fields of discussion, imo. Every freedom we have comes with a price, usually in blood. But to argue as Bumpus and others are doing that there's no price to be paid for legal gun ownership is crazy to me. I think they just don't want to have to make the argument that the victims of shootings like the one in Connecticut or Colorado are part of the price you pay.
    Quote Quote  

8. -248
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Go back a few pages. Some of these points have already been covered.

I used to have more of a conservative position on gun control, but I'm more in flux now. I do, however, think some of the lines offered by those against gun control are nonsensical. It is inarguable to me that lax control laws contribute to gun deaths, and that making guns illegal would save lives. It is inarguable that having a gun in the house makes you less safe, not more.

That does not necessarily mean they should be illegal, however. Or that all gun control should be done. But those are the valid fields of discussion, imo. Every freedom we have comes with a price, usually in blood. But to argue as Bumpus and others are doing that there's no price to be paid for legal gun ownership is crazy to me. I think they just don't want to have to make the argument that the victims of shootings like the one in Connecticut or Colorado are part of the price you pay.
    Interesting article in my opinion...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/lexin...12/gun-control
    Quote Quote  

9. -249
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "This is not the gun's fault, but guns *do* make this sort of atrocity much, much easier to commit," Townhall editor Guy Benson said on Twitter. "That's indisputable."

Benson maintained that he isn't a "gun-grabber," but "there is a sickness in society. Guns can both exacerbate& mitigate the consequences of that sickness."

Conservative author David Frum was panned on Michelle Malkin's Twitchy site for sending a sarcastic tweet this morning: "Obviously, we need to lower the age limit for concealed carry so toddlers can defend themselves."

Frum followed up with a column arguing that "Every Day is the Day to Talk About Gun Control."

"Almost uniquely in the world, the United States suffers massacre after massacre after massacre: in schools, in workplaces, in movie theaters, on city streets," Frum wrote. "And after each such massacre, there follows a great hushing: don't you dare mention the most obvious reason for this unique American horror":

"And I'll say: I'll accept no lectures about "sensitivity" on days of tragedy like today from people who work the other 364 days of the year against any attempt to prevent such tragedies.
    It's bad enough to have a gun lobby. It's the last straw when that lobby also sets up itself as the civility police. It may not be politically possible to do anything about the prevalence of weapons of mass murder. But it damn well ought to be possible to complain about them ó and about the people who condone them."

A more measured Philip Klein wrote that "Tho misguided, dont think debating gun control is politicizing. Politicizing is blaming political opponents for a tragedy."
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/so...a-in-wake-of-c

Some great quotes from conservatives.
    Quote Quote  

10. -250
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote