Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -251
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For me the problem is a mental health issue in this country. You can blame the guns all you want but in the end this guy could having committed the same vile act with many other weapons. Getting rid of guns won't stop crazy people from killing simple as that. I for one think we as citizens have already had enough of our "Bill of Rights" taken away from us. From the first to the fourth and fifth. It's been a long list of liberties lost for our safety of course.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -252
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Another problem I'm noticing is that pro-gun control is being lumped all together, which is far to simplistic and dishonest. I have absolutely no problem with legal gun ownership. I simply believe that what makes it "legal" should be more stringent. Felony? No gun for you. Mental illness? No gun for you. A family member has a mental illness or felony and lives with you? No gun for you. If you're convicted of a felony (even a DUI), you need to surrender any weapon. If you are caught with one, minimum multi-year sentence. Your kid shoots himself or others with a gun that you failed to secure within the limits of the law (something people should do regardless of the law)? Murder.

Most law-abiding citizens have no problem following these laws. All of my guns are extremely secure and only I have access to them.

Quote Quote  

3. -253
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Pakistani children light candles to pay tribute to Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims

http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/s...oting/1-287703
    Quote Quote  

4. -254
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Another problem I'm noticing is that pro-gun control is being lumped all together, which is far to simplistic and dishonest. I have absolutely no problem with legal gun ownership. I simply believe that what makes it "legal" should be more stringent. Felony? No gun for you. Mental illness? No gun for you. A family member has a mental illness or felony and lives with you? No gun for you. If you're convicted of a felony (even a DUI), you need to surrender any weapon. If you are caught with one, minimum multi-year sentence. Your kid shoots himself or others with a gun that you failed to secure within the limits of the law (something people should do regardless of the law)? Murder.

Most law-abiding citizens have no problem following these laws. All of my guns are extremely secure and only I have access to them.
    I don't support the DUI part. I think that's a bit extreme. What's next you get caught with a joint and lose your gun. I would support making sure crazy people don't get guns at the same time would be very cautious with how you do that. People with felonies already can't even be in a house with a gun so I don't think any new law would have an effect. And there are already laws in many states for people who's kids kill themselves. But most of the time those laws aren't enforced because of sympathy for the parents who lost a child. Most of these laws are already on the books.
    Quote Quote  

5. -255
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    I don't support the DUI part. I think that's a bit extreme. What's next you get caught with a joint and lose your gun. I would support making sure crazy people don't get guns at the same time would be very cautious with how you do that. People with felonies already can't even be in a house with a gun so I don't think any new law would have an effect. And there are already laws in many states for people who's kids kill themselves. But most of the time those laws aren't enforced because of sympathy for the parents who lost a child. Most of these laws are already on the books.
    I absolutely believe DUI should be included. That shows extreme recklessness and disregard for life. As for pot, getting caught with a joint shouldn't be illegal; but that's another issue that's finally heading in the right direction. As for felons in a house with a gun, I believe that's state-to-state.

I bet I know which states already have them and which don't. I just have to look at the map.
    Quote Quote  

6. -256
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I absolutely believe DUI should be included. That shows extreme recklessness and disregard for life. As for pot, getting caught with a joint shouldn't be illegal; but that's another issue that's finally heading in the right direction. As for felons in a house with a gun, I believe that's state-to-state.

I bet I know which states already have them and which don't. I just have to look at the map.

I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of people with DUI's have never used a gun in a crime so I don't see how this will change anything. The thing I fear with this train of thought is a government coming up with every excuse in the world to take away your right to a gun. I think the problem is much bigger and this is a mental health issue that needs to be addressed.
    Quote Quote  

7. -257
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

"There goes my hero. Watch her as she goes."
    Quote Quote  

8. -258
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of people with DUI's have never used a gun in a crime so I don't see how this will change anything. The thing I fear with this train of thought is a government coming up with every excuse in the world to take away your right to a gun. I think the problem is much bigger and this is a mental health issue that needs to be addressed.
    Most people with mental illnesses haven't used a gun in a crime either. That's not the point. The disregard for human life and the lack of self control that leads to a DUI is my concern. I want them nowhere near weapons, and that includes very good friends of mine. As for the government taking all our weapons slippery slope argument, I can see the point of that one, but it's extremely unlikely considering how unbelievably unpopular banning all guns is and the constitutional guarantees that would need to be overcome. These ****ing idiots can't even get a working budget, you think they can do something like that? Not a chance. And that's why I'm not dumb enough to think anything will actually be done about gun laws. Kids will continue to die senselessly and the blame will continue to be pawned off on video games, lack of prayer, and other such bull****. The american way.
    Quote Quote  

9. -259
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    To clarify: Do firearms make it easier? Sure. Are crazy mo-fo's going to do what they do anyway? Yep.

I'll take my firearms to protect myself, TYVM.
    Youre finally correct about something.

This statement is the exact reason they should be banned.

Are they going to do what they do anyway...... not necessarially. Its common sense that in many cases people pull the trigger and quickly regret a poor decision they made in the heat of something. If they did not have a gun, things couldve been different. Its really that simple. Removing guns would save countless lives.

Also, the minute you become in possession of a gun, you have just put yourself at much more risk of being injured or killed by a gun than you previously were. Thats a fact. Its simple math. For some reason, you and many others struggle with this simple concept.

Your gun protects you from basically nothing anyway. There arent many situations in which having that gun in your home is going to help you out. The idea that you are in some kind of danger is for the most part ridiculous.

Fact is, you like so many others just enjoy your guns. You dont care about how many lives are lost, even when its children. Well, perhaps you care, but not enough to get rid of your guns. Your guns are important to you. I could state why, but this isnt the anything goes thread.
    Quote Quote  

10. -260
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    1. I was simply annoyed at people acting like those who own guns are fugged in the head.

2. You don't think crimes of passion are committed with knives every day in this country? & yourself.
    1. I dont think gun lovers are fugged in the head, well some of them are, but I think something else of them.

2. Sure. People have injured and killed others with knives. Just not nearly as often as guns for a ton of reasons........

1. Its not real simple to kill someone with a knife.
    2. Its very grusome.... not that shooting someone isnt.
    3. When a knife attack begins, people who have temporarially lost their senses, can come to their senses and realize they are making a big mistake and therefore not take someone's life.
    4. When a person attacks someone with a knife, they are putting themselves at serious risk. If they are not in command, their victim could overpower them and perhaps use that knife on them.
    5. You cant kill a lot of people with a knife in a short amount of time.... well I suppose you could, but if you are in a place say like a school..... people arent just going to let you kill a bunch of people with a knife. You will be stopped and you will be severely hurt.
    6. Gun violence like these spree killers wont use knives anyway. Not only for reason 5 that I listed, but they arent going to be able to kill themselves with the knife at the end. Well they could, but seeing as they use guns they are most likely too much of a huge ****ing gash to take their own life with a knife. They need that gun to do that.

I could go on, but its pointless. The pro gun arguments that people attempt to use are complete nonsense. They are so off base and so easy to beat with common sense, yet somehow they keep getting recycled. In the end, people like their guns. There are several reasons they do. Most of them I would have to post in the anything goes thread. But, people simply dont want to give up their guns. They are willing to live with the fact that kids will be killed from time to time by whack jobs with guns. They will pretend they arent ok with it, but its all bs they tell themselves to avoid dealing with the fact they dont care. Their guns are more important to them.

The 2nd amendment argument is bs on so many levels.

The protect their home argument is weak and has very little validity.

The protect their family argument is bs. Both of those last two are proven to be faulty logic by mathematics.

The argument about the government somehow coming after them is borderline nut job. Talk about paranoid.

The argument about criminals get guns anyway is weak. True, there would be a black market on guns. People would still die by gunfire. The reality is it would be A LOT less people. Most people would have no idea how to get a gun on the black market. Most people wouldnt try.

The argument that if only the criminals have guns we would all be in extreme danger is weak. We are in much more danger now with more people having guns. Criminals tend to shoot other criminals. Their wars would continue and occasionally innocent people would be struck by crossfire. It would be much more limited though. Also, tough sentences on gun possession would make it easier to get criminals off the street and in prison.

The argument that people who do crazy **** are going to do it some other way is weak. Guns are all too easy. Sure, occasionally someone might learn how to build a bomb to commit some unspeakable act, but it would drastically cut down on these incidents. A lot of these maniacs would wind up blowing themselves up trying to learn how to build the thing.

**** guns.
    Quote Quote