Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -271
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Go back a few pages. Some of these points have already been covered.

I used to have more of a conservative position on gun control, but I'm more in flux now. I do, however, think some of the lines offered by those against gun control are nonsensical. It is inarguable to me that lax control laws contribute to gun deaths, and that making guns illegal would save lives. It is inarguable that having a gun in the house makes you less safe, not more.

That does not necessarily mean they should be illegal, however. Or that all gun control should be done. But those are the valid fields of discussion, imo. Every freedom we have comes with a price, usually in blood. But to argue as Bumpus and others are doing that there's no price to be paid for legal gun ownership is crazy to me. I think they just don't want to have to make the argument that the victims of shootings like the one in Connecticut or Colorado are part of the price you pay.
    You know what I'm arguing?

You can't have my guns. Won't happen. Period.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

2. -272
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    And how do you plan to get rid of guns without a civil war????
    Why would you suggest there would be a civil war? Are you saying gun owners would be willing to go to war and kill people over the idea of not having guns.......................... oh ......... wait.............. yea I guess they would. They already have no problem with people getting killed and no problem using the guns to kill people.
    Quote Quote  

3. -273
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    There is now not just talk of having armed police officers in every school, but redesigning the classrooms to have safe areas and special doors etc....

basically making the schools almost like a prison environment for our children to learn in.

OR....

we could just get rid of guns. Seems like the better solution to me.
    We were already deciding on whether to raise our kids in the U.S. or Canada. The decision is now a whole lot easier. More respect for education and teachers in general AND it's safer, without having to arm everybody on campus? Yes please.

Quote Quote  

4. -274

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Youre finally correct about something.

This statement is the exact reason they should be banned.

Are they going to do what they do anyway...... not necessarially. Its common sense that in many cases people pull the trigger and quickly regret a poor decision they made in the heat of something. If they did not have a gun, things couldve been different. Its really that simple. Removing guns would save countless lives.

Also, the minute you become in possession of a gun, you have just put yourself at much more risk of being injured or killed by a gun than you previously were. Thats a fact. Its simple math. For some reason, you and many others struggle with this simple concept.

Your gun protects you from basically nothing anyway. There arent many situations in which having that gun in your home is going to help you out. The idea that you are in some kind of danger is for the most part ridiculous.

Fact is, you like so many others just enjoy your guns. You dont care about how many lives are lost, even when its children. Well, perhaps you care, but not enough to get rid of your guns. Your guns are important to you. I could state why, but this isnt the anything goes thread.
    So, as I've asked earlier - What's your plan to remove ALL firearms from the country?

I'm waiting ...

Yep. Thought so.

- If someone can break into my home - I'm defending myself.

- If I decide to head out to the woods and enjoy nature, then harvest an animal - I'm doing it.

Why is that a problem for people?

How is the reality of our world that elusive?

If you could wave a wand right now that would magically remove all guns ... I'd be able to deal with it. But since that can't be done, I believe I'll just hang on to my guns.

I'll defend my right to do so, both with my voice and my letters.

YMMV.

Bottom line: These situations are the acts of crazy people. You simply can't out-legislate crazy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -275

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    So you are killing for pure pleasure?
    Nope. I eat them.
    Quote Quote  

6. -276
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    You know what I'm arguing?

You can't have my guns. Won't happen. Period.
    Not even if I pry them from your cold, dead fingers?

Who knows what's going to happen? Somehow I doubt very much. But if the ATF shows up at your door one day you don't strike me as the kind who would start blasting.

Anyway, "you can't have my guns" isn't much of a debate point. As I've said, it's not like admitting what are very obvious downsides forces you to accept the position that guns should be outlawed. I can only guess that you and other gun owners who argue the same way are just scared that if they acknowledge the negatives... that will be the beginning of the end. But at some point it's like denying that the Earth revolves around the Sun. And that hurts you among people who might be persuaded otherwise.
    Quote Quote  

7. -277
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me, but does anyone realistically think we could ban all guns?

Gonzo said something like 88 out of every 100 homes own guns, do you really think you could realistically put a prohibition on something that such a high percentage of the population demands? Does anyone really think you can overnight make 88% of the population a felon? Frankly, it's an absurd notion imo.

If you want to talk about banning military grade assault rifles, that's a rational conversation. You want to talk about stricter regulations, that's a rational conversation. Banning hand-guns, shotguns, & hunting rifles? Too much demand for a prohibition of these things to work. I will never understand the notion that simply making something illegal magically solves the problem. When the demand for something is high enough, the supply will be met. All that ban would do is empower would-be gun cartels with an easy source of revenue, because the demand for guns will exist, whether you agree with it or not.

Fyi, I don't own a gun. I just don't like senseless prohibitions. Is alcohol bad? Of course, & look how that prohibition turned out. Prohibition only works when an overwhelming percentage of the population agrees with said prohibition, & as evidenced by Gonzo's 88% statistic, that's clearly not the case here.
    Quote Quote  

8. -278
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...08495#50208495

More news coming out this morning. Now they say 4 handguns, no assault rifle....and he was denied the purchase of a weapon of his own based on Ct. laws..

And the debate evolves as facts replace opinions.....
    No doubt emotional reactions will happen and detest the never let a tragedy go to waste in politics. But my personal opinion hasn't changed regarding assault weapon regulation because of the tragedy. I know 99.9999% of gun owners aren't going to use guns in crimes, and have many gun owner family and friends. And if a law is attempted to be made to remove all there other 90%+ (?) of firearms, I'd stand with them even if I choose not to own one.
    Quote Quote  

9. -279
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Why do people want guns? They are literally less than useless to protect your family and hunting land animals is boring as ****. Really there shouldnt be any objection to destroying all guns.

Quote Quote  

10. -280
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Why do people want guns? They are literally less than useless to protect your family and hunting land animals is boring as ****. Really there shouldnt be any objection to destroying all guns.
    For terrorists like you.

We have to keep you below us one way.

Quote Quote