Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 313

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

  1. -281
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,095
    vCash:
    6999
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Why would you suggest there would be a civil war? Are you saying gun owners would be willing to go to war and kill people over the idea of not having guns.......................... oh ......... wait.............. yea I guess they would. They already have no problem with people getting killed and no problem using the guns to kill people.

    Taking away a constitutionally protected right like the 2nd amendment won't be a peaceful solution at all. In your quest to ban that right you would need tons of guns and blood to enforce it.

    ---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------



    ---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

    Looks like the douchebag stole those guns from his dead mother.





    "Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

  2. -282
    phinfan3411's Avatar
    pofo mofo

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,629
    vCash:
    3809
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Why do people want guns? They are literally less than useless to protect your family and hunting land animals is boring as ****. Really there shouldnt be any objection to destroying all guns.
    Why would you say that they are less than useless to protect your family?

    Is that because of the Kellerman study that has been refuted a thousand times already?

    I would suggest you read up on that study, and you will come away with a different feeling, as they have said before, they can make statistics look anyway they want.

    I have already countered those statistics with other tidbits from the same study that because you come up with totally different numbers when you change just one criteria.

    If you are just looking for risk factors that elevate you our your family being involved in a homicide, renting your frigin house is a higher (much higher) risk factor than just owning a gun.

    If you are just looking a DEATH, and not HOMICIDE, guns play a significant roll mostly because of people using them for suicides, and i have no comeback from that. Aside from that there are many other factors in everyday life that present a greater risk of death in the home than a firearm, one being a pool, which according to John Stossel makes a home 100 times more likely to have an accident of this type.

    Anyway, I have cited a study by Harvard (I consider it credible mostly because I would never think Harvard would release a study with these results) that shows that not only does gun control NOT WORK, it is in fact COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. You can find this study easily by googling harvard gun control study.

    I have also broken down into more detail a report all the banners were fawning over to explain some of the numbers even though I think most of the report is deeply flawed anyway, because depending on what side you are on, you are only interested in one or two tidbits to back up your argument, well that report has stuff to bolster both sides.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -283
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    20,414
    vCash:
    21339
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Why do people want guns? They are literally less than useless to protect your family and hunting land animals is boring as ****. Really there shouldnt be any objection to destroying all guns.
    You'll never be half the troll J is.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Quote  

  4. -284
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,095
    vCash:
    6999
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Looks like he killed his mom with her own gun then stole her guns and went on a rampage. What law would have stopped this????
    Quote Quote  

  5. -285
    phinfan3411's Avatar
    pofo mofo

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,629
    vCash:
    3809
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can't believe I left this out, but honestly, even when you take the suicide factor out, there still is an elevated risk to having a firearm in the house, but is there something else in that elevated risk that many regular families just do not fit into?

    Yes, just as many of us that talk about the banning of guns will result in only criminals having guns. Well it seems a great deal of that action is taking place at the criminal's home (rented I presume).

    So, according to that study, what are the risks to a family with no criminal record in the house? According to the study, the very one many have talked about, over a 40 year span between .015-.030 %. Again, that is over forty years.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -286
    WVDolphan's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    14,741
    vCash:
    10711
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo


    Start around 1:00 min mark.

    "I dont care how small your penis is, that should be enough guns."
    Quote Quote  

  7. -287
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    20,631
    vCash:
    18845
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Looks like he killed his mom with her own gun then stole her guns and went on a rampage. What law would have stopped this????
    The mother that kept guns, including a semiautomatic rifle, in a house with a mentally ill child? Color me unsympathetic to her fate. She had the guns prior to the change in gun laws there and was apparently grandfathered in. Fine. BUT, she had a mentally ill person living with her and therefore shouldn't have been allowed to have guns in the house. She's also responsible in this.





    Quote Quote  

  8. -288
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    20,631
    vCash:
    18845
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Let's face it, absolutely nothing will be done about this. In a couple of weeks, we'll have a few vigils, it will play in a looking back at 2012 news review, and Newsroom will cover it next season. Two of the primary topics worth discussing are two of the most volatile in this country and two areas with people completely unwilling to budge in any way from their stances: Gun laws and healthcare (in this case, mental health). So we'll move on and all be oh so very upset, outraged, shocked, etc. the next time it happens; and it WILL happen again. Many times.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -289
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,095
    vCash:
    6999
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    The mother that kept guns, including a semiautomatic rifle, in a house with a mentally ill child? Color me unsympathetic to her fate. She had the guns prior to the change in gun laws there and was apparently grandfathered in. Fine. BUT, she had a mentally ill person living with her and therefore shouldn't have been allowed to have guns in the house. She's also responsible in this.
    Was he declared mentally ill by the state???

    From what I read people who knew him said he was a quiet type and was really smart too. Unless the state declared him metally ill I don't see how you could have prevented this.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -290
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,877
    vCash:
    3374
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me, but does anyone realistically think we could ban all guns?
    Nope. But then again, this is all theoritical and hypothetical. Ive been the one banging the table for an assault rifles ban in this thread, but even thats unrealistic.

    By hypothetical and unrealistic, i mean: our politicians arent going to do a damn thing about this. Ironically, they are doing what victims of shooting crimes are forced to do: duck and cover.

    The only way to realistically take away "all the guns" is to not try. We would have to do what is already done: confiscate when they are caught being used or when they are discovered while being investigated for another crime. And that doesnt meet the criteria of "taking them all away". But as i said earlier, thats hypothetical. And personally, im not in favor of an outright ban of all weapons.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM
  2. 27 dead in ct elementary school shooting
    By Ilovemyfins4eva in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Parents planted drugs on an elementary school volunteer
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
  4. Dolphins trade OTA to volunteer at Elementary school
    By Nublar7 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
  5. Not it! Mass. elementary school bans tag
    By The_Dark_Knight in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •