Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

1. -61
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A White House spokesman said Friday that the shooting rampage at a Connecticut school saddened President Barack Obama as a father, but that "today's not the day" for a discussion about possible gun control measures to be taken in response to the massacre.
    "Today's not ... a day to engage in the usual Washington policy debates," press secretary Jay Carney told reporters. "That day will come, but today's not that day
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html

Obama backed down to a lobby group. Shocking.

In other news, water is wet.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As this thread has proved, you can't have a real debate when passions are inflamed. It's like trying to slip it to your wife after her mom dies......ya just don't do it. Ya hold her and comfort her and once the shock and magnitude of the moment is gone, you can resume normal relations.

I am the King of analogies

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First off, my prayers are with all of those whom were affected by this tragedy.

Some observations I made after reading through this thread…

1. If you have to use emotionalism to make your argument (i.e. using a tragedy to try and argue for stricter gun control laws) then your argument is not a very strong one.
    2. AR-15s (I am assuming that is what was used in this shooting since reports say it was a .223 rifle) are not “automatic weapons”, and they are not “machine guns”, part of our problem in America is that many Americans are completely ignorant about firearms.
    3. Both the shopping center in Clackamas, Oregon (which I have been to numerous times) and this Public School were “gun-free zones”, why did this form of gun control not stop these two shootings from happening?
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Dolphins4lyfe

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

Im out. and for those who think this only applied to old times. Go find out why Cubans and the russians for some time could not overthrow nor fight their government back. When our guns are taken away,thats when our freedom will be in danger
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html

Obama backed down to a lobby group. Shocking.

In other news, water is wet.
    This has been my biggest gripe with Obama. The dude just doesn't seem to be willing to delve into the hyper-polarizing issues. The only one he did was gay-marriage, and lets be honest, that was calculated and he knew the votes he would gain outnumbered the votes he would lose by taking a stance.

I'm seriously hoping that this is an honest attempt at letting the families have their time to mourn before tackling the issue and not another spineless soundbite to get out of the debate. He literally has nothing to lose over the next 4 years, he needs to take these issues by the horns...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -66

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Latest update I heard on the radio states that the death count is 20 kids, 6 adults. I'm not sure I've seen a more heart-breaking event before...
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    This has been my biggest gripe with Obama. The dude just doesn't seem to be willing to delve into the hyper-polarizing issues. The only one he did was gay-marriage, and lets be honest, that was calculated and he knew the votes he would gain outnumbered the votes he would lose by taking a stance.

I'm seriously hoping that this is an honest attempt at letting the families have their time to mourn before tackling the issue and not another spineless soundbite to get out of the debate. He literally has nothing to lose over the next 4 years, he needs to take these issues by the horns...
    Lets not forget that Biden pushed him into that situation. Had Biden been less...ugh, Joe Biden, then i have no doubt that Obama would have backed away from that issue also. At least until after the election.

Human history is littered with examples of social apathy until tragedy occurs. It takes vivid and horrifying things to happen before anything gets done. 4 groups of parents are reminded daily about their kids deaths in Benghazi, but conservatives have no problem bringing it up to discuss embassy security(im generalizing because there is one overwhelming reason why Republicans harp on that tragedy). Gun control is not a new issue. We've had "periods of calm" and nothing was discussed.

Obama and others are using this event for one reason and one reason only: to hide behind. I have little doubt that when this dies down Obama will still avoid this issue like the plague. Just like he did after Aurora. Special interest groups own Washington. And for the gun lobby, the best time to talk about gun control is never. Obama will focus on his legacy first and doing the right thing last. Dead last.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

27 dead, including 18 kids, in CT elementary school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    First off, my prayers are with all of those whom were affected by this tragedy.

Some observations I made after reading through this thread…

1. If you have to use emotionalism to make your argument (i.e. using a tragedy to try and argue for stricter gun control laws) then your argument is not a very strong one.
    2. AR-15s (I am assuming that is what was used in this shooting since reports say it was a .223 rifle) are not “automatic weapons”, and they are not “machine guns”, part of our problem in America is that many Americans are completely ignorant about firearms.
    3. Both the shopping center in Clackamas, Oregon (which I have been to numerous times) and this Public School were “gun-free zones”, why did this form of gun control not stop these two shootings from happening?
    The news reports that I'm listening too are stating he had semi automatics. Automatics/ semi automatics should be banned. Period. Here you are, the god worshiper, and you seem to have no issue with guns polluting the streets. Your posts are so out there it's frightening.
    Quote Quote  

9. -69

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    The news reports that I'm listening too are stating he had semi automatics. Automatics/ semi automatics should be banned. Period. Here you are, the god worshiper, and you seem to have no issue with guns polluting the streets. Your posts are so out there it's frightening.
    Nothing says Jesus like semi-automatic weapons in every Christian's hands. Am I right...?
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Dolphins4lyfe

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is truly sad at so many magnitudes. I always knew security at schools was utter sh**. We need real police officers inside the schools at all time. Not civilians who half the time are in the golf carts chatting with each other. I walked into my elementary the other day to meet up some of my professors and i was surprised how nobody asked me who i was or took me to the office to register. These type of events should never happen on school grounds. The lack of security on school grounds is astonishing. Its easy to blame the shooter or the "gun" but were was security? Totally unacceptable
    Quote Quote