Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Huckabee - CT school shooting due to God being removed from schools

1. -51
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Yeah Awsi.....except that guns were one of the first rights the forefathers gauranteed, acknowledging it as a God given right and not one derived from Government. You dont want a gun, nobodys forcing one on you. Until you can come up with a better reason to take mine than it scares you and we'd all be safer without guns is farcical. Almost half the people in Switzerland own a gun or rifle. Their gun related crime is miniscule. How then do you reason less guns here would equal less crimes, when Switzerland clearly refutes your logic. Think it might be their social mindset? Maybe it's the people, not the guns, committing these crimes, and a well trained and armed law abiding citizen is not the target you or the criminal aims for?

I dont expect to change your mind, but i would appreciate a thoughtful debate.
    And I would appreciate you not quote a non-binding document like the Declaration of Independence (where anyway the rights guaranteed by the creator are "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness") as the Constitution saying it's a God given right to own guns. The Constitution doesn't even mention the word God.

Please, pretty please. Do just a bit of research before you post these things.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I stand corrected. You can go back to inspecting the sock drawer now Sheldon

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Huh?
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Huh?
    Twas but a jest

I know better...i let my fingers get to flying before i thought it out, that's all
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Twas but a jest

I know better...i let my fingers get to flying before i thought it out, that's all
    I saw you say the same thing in another thread, too, though. I mean, it's not a totally uncommon misconception (that the Declaration is legally binding, anyway). But as you were basing your whole argument on it, it seemed relevant to point out.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldnt have a problem with an atheist teaching, as long as he presented all sides to religion and didnt try to influence thought but encouraged debate.

The world would be a better place if more people were as tolerant as you and I, don't you think? But iit might be a little boring without different opinions to spice up the stew
    Actually I think an atheist would be best teaching about religions (if the atheist has that knowledge). I doubt you can find enough people to teach their own religion without a bias. That's not a hit on religious people. The other question is would everybody be happy about having their children being taught about other religions. You are religious and might like the extended education but could you see islam or hinduism being taught in the Bible Belt?
    I would start teaching basics first as many kids coming out of high school don't even know how many branches government has and what their functions are.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its ok everyone, with Fox News help i discovered the cause of violence. My own beloved Mass Effect.
    In the wake of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut, initial reports said the shooter was a 24 year-old named Ryan Lanza. Online, people quickly located a Ryan Lanza on Facebook and searched through his profile to see if there were any "clues" they could pin the shooting on. They found their clues...but the wrong Lanza.

As we now know, the shooter was apparently Adam Lanza, the younger brother of a man named Ryan Lanza (It's unclear if the killer's brother and the Ryan Lanza on Facebook are the same person, though some details match).

But during those initial reports, a mob of angry Facebook users noticed that Ryan Lanza had liked Mass Effect on Facebook. Coupled with news reports that a Fox News expert connected the horrific shooting to video games, some felt like this was proof positive that games were to blame.

A Facebook pile-on began. "There is a connection between violent games and senseless violence in real life," wrote Facebook user Becky Laird Gluff. Another user, Melanie Bowers, said, "Ban this game and the people who created such sickness." And Catherine Barowski Plummer even wrote, "I am sure none of these precious children had this game on their Santa list... God help protect us from all the evil our society promotes." (More in the above gallery)

(Somewhat ironically, that Fox News expert also blamed Facebook for what happened.)
    http://kotaku.com/5968683/mob-blames...rong/gallery/1

No wonder im so screwed up. Thanks Fox.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Just so we're clear, the proponents of 'religion in school', by 'religion', you really mean Christianity, am i right?

Do we need Buddhism in school? Taoism? Hinduism?
    The facts are that up until the last half century Christianity was the religion allowed in the schools, so yes. I am a die hard Christian, but I am also enough of a realist to understand that we are sadly at a point of no return when it comes to putting Christianity back in the classrooms. It does bring up an interesting point because if we were ever to get into that debate of which religion to allow, seriously, my guess is that it wouldn't be just Christianity alone.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

9. -59
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    I am not advocating removing science from schools. Observational science has been a huge asset to mankind. And I am not wanting to turn this thread into an evolution debate. My point is based on evolutionary thinking, which has permeated our schools. We are random acts of accidents with no purpose, no meaning, no hope for anything beyond what we can accomplish in this life. It lends itself to the point you where making earlier about social isolation of our youth. Would you agree with that?
    Disagree with you in this thread and I cant really add anything others havent covered, but good to see you back. Its been a while.

Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Of course I think it would be beneficial, but would you have a problem with an atheist teaching your child about Christianity? Or a Muslim? Or vice-versa? Everyone has their biases, & you can see where the problems with this might arise. Would I like to see high-school kids educated about the world's religions? Absolutely. Can it be done in a non-biased fashion on a consistent basis? I don't know that it is.

I took it upon myself to teach myself about the world's religions (something I find most people are ignorant about), & some of the college courses I've taken have briefly touched upon some of the world's popular religions. I think everyone should learn about the world's religions, but I don't know that k-12 public school is the place to do it.

[/COLOR]
    Sounds like a man who is expressing his happiness about his belief in evolutionary theory. Not sure what you meant to convey with this post.
    Quote Quote