Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Huckabee - CT school shooting due to God being removed from schools

1. -61
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    I think you read far to into it. Most people do not derive their self worth from events they have no control over, and if they are, they are doing it wrong. I also have no desire to turn this into a debate on evolution, but as I stated previously, evolution is not a philosophy. People aren't supposed to look into evolutionary history to find purpose. That being said, if we allow our children to live in ignorance of science, we are only inhibiting their abilities to function at higher levels.

I derive my self worth from what I can control. I can control how I treat others. I can control what I put out into the world. I can control what I can contribute to society. I cannot control where I came from, how I was formed, or my ancestral history. What good would it be to focus on those unchangeable circumstances in order to find my purpose? You create your own purpose, it isn't given to you.

I personally find the processes of evolution to be remarkable and beautiful. It informs my understanding of nature and the universe. With a knowledge that I am every bit as much the same as a snail as I am to a tree or another human allows me to better appreciate others, and act more kindly, and preserve and protect those things. With the knowledge that I AM (and we all are) the environment, and not merely a spectator in some artificial arena surrounded by "other" spectators, I am better able to empathize with not only other humans, but with nature as a whole.
    This is exactly my point. This type of belief in evolution leaves one with this outlook on life. You are no more than a snail or a tree. You are no more important than either. You have no other purpose but to be born, live and die, just like a snail or a tree.Whatever you find in life that works for you is simply because you defined that for yourself but in the end there is nothing else. We are born, we live, we die. Sad really. Kids who are already socially awkward, isolated, outsiders are having their self esteem issues reinforced by this type of thinking. This is why suicide is so rampant, because with this mentality it is just as valid of an outcome in life as living and trying to make oneself happy.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Disagree with you in this thread and I cant really add anything others havent covered, but good to see you back. Its been a while.
    Well I didn't expect to be agreed with in this forum, but thank you for noticing. I am here for a while, not sure how long.
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    This is exactly my point. This type of belief in evolution leaves one with this outlook on life. You are no more than a snail or a tree. You are no more important than either. You have no other purpose but to be born, live and die, just like a snail or a tree.Whatever you find in life that works for you is simply because you defined that for yourself but in the end there is nothing else. We are born, we live, we die. Sad really. Kids who are already socially awkward, isolated, outsiders are having their self esteem issues reinforced by this type of thinking. This is why suicide is so rampant, because with this mentality it is just as valid of an outcome in life as living and trying to make oneself happy.
    I don't think all of that is linked to violence at all. I personally think that the thought that this is my only life actually motivates me to make the most of it. My lack of belief in a grand cosmic purpose has never depressed me or made me think less of my own existence. The way I see it, the odds of me existing are so minute that Im basically a mathematical impossibility, yet here I am. If anything, that motivates me to take advantage of this chance I have here and live life to the fullest. I dont get another one. One was a lot to ask of the universe in the first place.

Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    And yet, suicide rates have gone down from 13.2 per capita in the 50's to 10.8 in 2003, then back up to 12.4 in 2012. It follows economic trends, not trends in the acceptance/understanding of evolutionary theory.

That being said, I absolutely believe religions can help as they provide a social atmosphere where a kid may not have one otherwise, I just don't believe our country needs to limit to a specific one.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Well I didn't expect to be agreed with in this forum, but thank you for noticing. I am here for a while, not sure how long.
    I second that. Good to have you back!

Quote Quote  

5. -65
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I think a lot of the perception that people are worse nowadays as opposed to the good old days is due to how effective the media has become in bombarding us with tragedies.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I highly doubt evolution or any thing of the sort even entered this kid's mind during this whole thing. Atheism doesn't make anyone more or less likely to commit murder or suicide. Christians are just as likely to commit these acts. Heck, look no further than Jovan Belcher. By his own comments he was a committed, God-fearing Christian... That didn't stop him from letting his problems get the best of him and killing the mother of his child and himself.

That being said, I do think we are special, just no more special than a tree or a snail. Just the mere fact that we exist and can experience this universe is special. I take great solace in that fact. I know that I exist, and that this moment is stuck in time as if preserved in amber. Nothing can take that away. The passing of time is an illusion. This moment will continue to exist for all eternity.

I wouldn't consider myself to be an atheist per se, although I do not believe in the authoritarian, father-figure concept of God. In fact, I feel like I would have more issues if I did have that belief. The last thing I need is another absentee father...
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I don't think all of that is linked to violence at all. I personally think that the thought that this is my only life actually motivates me to make the most of it. My lack of belief in a grand cosmic purpose has never depressed me or made me think less of my own existence. The way I see it, the odds of me existing are so minute that Im basically a mathematical impossibility, yet here I am. If anything, that motivates me to take advantage of this chance I have here and live life to the fullest. I dont get another one. One was a lot to ask of the universe in the first place.
    I think that with a lack of anything else in your life this is a good way to look at it. This does not mean that this will lead to violence, but it sure does not help. That is my point.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    And yet, suicide rates have gone down from 13.2 per capita in the 50's to 10.8 in 2003, then back up to 12.4 in 2012. It follows economic trends, not trends in the acceptance/understanding of evolutionary theory.

That being said, I absolutely believe religions can help as they provide a social atmosphere where a kid may not have one otherwise, I just don't believe our country needs to limit to a specific one.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I second that. Good to have you back!
    Thanks! I don't mind dropping in from time to time. Good to see the same cast of characters and some new faces as well.

As far as the suicide rates, I was referring to Teen and young adult suicide rates. They have gone up significantly since 1950.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779940.html
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Thanks! I don't mind dropping in from time to time. Good to see the same cast of characters and some new faces as well.

As far as the suicide rates, I was referring to Teen and young adult suicide rates. They have gone up significantly since 1950.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779940.html
    Sorry, but I'm seeing the exact same trends as the adults and those of violent crimes, all of which follow economic patterns almost exactly.
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    I highly doubt evolution or any thing of the sort even entered this kid's mind during this whole thing. Atheism doesn't make anyone more or less likely to commit murder or suicide. Christians are just as likely to commit these acts. Heck, look no further than Jovan Belcher. By his own comments he was a committed, God-fearing Christian... That didn't stop him from letting his problems get the best of him and killing the mother of his child and himself.

That being said, I do think we are special, just no more special than a tree or a snail. Just the mere fact that we exist and can experience this universe is special. I take great solace in that fact. I know that I exist, and that this moment is stuck in time as if preserved in amber. Nothing can take that away. The passing of time is an illusion. This moment will continue to exist for all eternity.

I wouldn't consider myself to be an atheist per se, although I do not believe in the authoritarian, father-figure concept of God. In fact, I feel like I would have more issues if I did have that belief. The last thing I need is another absentee father...
    Well we probably won't know what was going through this kids head. I believe atheism is more likely to lead to suicide than belief in a higher power or God. This doesn't mean it is exclusively responsible, but when you pull God out of the schools, replace it with evolution (AKA no God to kids) and we see in increase in teen suicides over that time period, it makes you wonder.

And there have been much more death associated to atheistic worldviews then orthodox religion. Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong to name just a few.
    Quote Quote