Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Flag, Your Time is Up

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Confederate Flag, Your Time is Up

Good piece.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/19/opinio...lag/index.html

(CNN)One hundred and fifty years after the end of the Confederacy and the Civil War, the Confederate flag is in the news. It's an enduring, but consistently divisive image in the United States. And its time should finally be up.
    There is controversy over whether a government like that of South Carolina should continue to display the flag and fly it at full, rather than half-mast after the cold-blooded killing of nine people at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston by a man who said he was at the church "to shoot black people."
    Enjoy your burrito.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

I saw this and disagree completely. I frankly don't care and think it still falls under free speech. If the voters of SC want the flag down majority rules, I say. The flag is technically flown over a memorial and that memorial like it or not is part of this countries history and shouldn't be forgotten.

They say the winners write the history books and the losers are forgotten. You'll find the same thing in Japan with respect to the atrocities committed against China in the rape of Nanking, nowhere in Japanese history books will you find a mention of that terrible atrocity. If anything the flying of the confederate flag serves as a reminder of how much we lost to gain what we have, a lesson that should never be forgotten by any generation.
    "Frank's Redhot - I Put That **** On Everything!" ~ Ethel

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I can't think of anything more un-American than flying the flag of racist traitors. Good riddance. That being said, if an individual wants to be a racist prick and fly it on his property, that is free speech. State-sanctioned racism, on the other hand, is rightfully a no-go.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 06-19-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with Gonzo. I always found it weird how Americans were flaunting around flags from a nation that disbanded from the Union. As much as people love to claim "heritage" on this, deep down its almost always used as a subtle symbol of racism, superiority and oppression.

It's a shame though, it really is one of the most aesthetically pleasing flags in history. I'd rank it Top 5 in terms of design.

Last edited by SkapePhin; 06-19-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    John Stewart had a good take on the matter last night. The Confederate flag needs to go. It is a blatant sign of racism. Time for it to go i agree. But then again FOX is trying to tell people racism doesn't exist even after that killing in SC which in the killers words he wanted to kill black people who raped America. Yet FOX spins it as a religious attack because it happened in a church. Quite shameful by FOX.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    I agree with Gonzo. I always found it weird how Americans were flaunting around flags from a nation that disbanded from the Union. As much as people love to claim "heritage" on this, deep down its almost always used as a subtle symbol of racism, superiority and oppression.

It's a shame though, it really is one of the most aesthetically pleasing flags in history. I'd ranking it Top 5 in terms of design.

Having lived in AZ, LA, and TX, I've known a lot of people who show that flag in one way or another (hanging outside or inside their house, on their cars in some way, tattoos, etc.). Every single one of them was also a blatant racist, so the flag fit.

It's shocking that it's the same flag that flies over the city in which 9 black people were killed because of the color of their skin. We really need to lay off Mr. Roof. He was just celebrating his heritage.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Room 101
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can't think of anything more un-American than flying the flag of racist traitors. Good riddance. That being said, if an individual wants to be a racist prick and fly it on his property, that is free speech. State-sanctioned racism, on the other hand, is rightfully a no-go.
    100% this.

That the Confederacy is "honored" at all is ridiculous and stupid and wrong. Besides, it was always the legal opinion of the Union -- and rightly, imo -- that the state of South Carolina, as an example, was not in rebellion -- it was only the rebels in South Carolina that were. Secession was never formally recognized, which is why none of the states in the confederacy had to reapply for statehood. Legally it was treated that at most the rebels had temporarily stolen South Carolina. And that's how I look at it. For the state government to want to formally honor the rebels is to be formally honoring it's own theft. It's even more ridiculous than the British putting a statue of Oliver Cromwell in Westminster.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 06-19-2015 at 11:45 AM.

I was once a normal kid
    Till the Devil came down and flipped my lid
    He gave me a switchblade and he gave me a muse
    Then he vomited acid all over my shoes
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo

I'm just, like, celebrating my heritage, man!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    and that's the problem with free speech, you cannot and must not pick and choose what is allowed or not allowed. The law of the land protects it all for the freedom of it all, whether is it some dumb **** with a swastika or a woman lobbing for better wages.

The law must stand as is and represent the good, the bad and the neutral. This country was organized in such a fashion that if protects the minorities because majorities tend not to. Which is why I stand by the freedom of speech for all regardless of the message.

You don't have to buy the **** they shovel and I don't have to associate with the people who spread racism and hate, I teach my son to listen and learn from their messages about how ****ed up their insights really are, use it to become a better person towards all people. Two of my favorite movies of all time "Lords of Discipline" and "American History X" convey the message behind the perpetual racial spiral perfectly about what is passed along via the outward expression of such shortsighted views.

I don't have to stand for the views behind the confederate flag but I can use it as a reminder that I never want those ways in this country again and to understand that the elephant in the room is the fact that the racial divide still runs deep and while some men have dreams there are still a lot of nightmares going on around this country.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    and that's the problem with free speech, you cannot and must not pick and choose what is allowed or not allowed. The law of the land protects it all for the freedom of it all, whether is it some dumb **** with a swastika or a woman lobbing for better wages.

The law must stand as is and represent the good, the bad and the neutral. This country was organized in such a fashion that if protects the minorities because majorities tend not to. Which is why I stand by the freedom of speech for all regardless of the message.

You don't have to buy the **** they shovel and I don't have to associate with the people who spread racism and hate, I teach my son to listen and learn from their messages about how ****ed up their insights really are, use it to become a better person towards all people. Two of my favorite movies of all time "Lords of Discipline" and "American History X" convey the message behind the perpetual racial spiral perfectly about what is passed along via the outward expression of such shortsighted views.

I don't have to stand for the views behind the confederate flag but I can use it as a reminder that I never want those ways in this country again and to understand that the elephant in the room is the fact that the racial divide still runs deep and while some men have dreams there are still a lot of nightmares going on around this country.
    I don't think anyone here is saying that the flag should be banned from use by private industry or citizens, just that the South Carolina government buildings shouldn't be flying the Confederate Flag. The issue here is the State tacitly endorsing an oppressive symbol.
    Quote Quote