Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeb on Pope's Climate Doctrine: "I don't get my economic policy from my bishop, cardi

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jeb on Pope's Climate Doctrine: "I don't get my economic policy from my bishop, cardi

https://news.vice.com/article/jeb-bu...rce=vicenewsfb

Proof positive that most politicians only use religion when it's politically advantageous for them to do so.

This is a particularly farcical statement from Jeb since his brother cited "personal conversations with God" as reasons supporting his foreign policy decisions...
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why is it farcical?
    Jeb is not George. He has his own beliefs. They are completely different as brothers.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    https://news.vice.com/article/jeb-bu...rce=vicenewsfb

Proof positive that most politicians only use religion when it's politically advantageous for them to do so.

This is a particularly farcical statement from Jeb since his brother cited "personal conversations with God" as reasons supporting his foreign policy decisions...
    Do you actually think he means he had a literal convo with God?

I'm not voting for Jeb, not a big fan of his.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    Why is it farcical?
    Jeb is not George. He has his own beliefs. They are completely different as brothers.
    He has steadfastly supported GW's foreign policy. In any case, he has held up his religious beliefs as a means to justify his stance on prohibiting gay marriage. He uses religion whenever it is politically advantageous, just like most politicians.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Room 101
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cafeteria Catholics aren’t just on the left. Jeb Bush, who hasn’t read the forthcoming papal encyclical on climate change, indicates that he’s not going to take it seriously if it conflicts with what he already believes:

“I hope I’m not going to get castigated for saying this by my priest back home, but I don’t get economic policy from my bishops or my cardinals or my pope,” Bush said. “And I’d like to see what he says as it relates to climate change and how that connects to these broader, deeper issue before I pass judgment. But I think religion ought to be about making us better as people and less about things that end up getting in the political realm.”

What an extraordinarily un-Catholic thing to say.

First off, nobody believes that bishops, including the Bishop of Rome, are policy wonks, and nobody believes that they are experts at dictating economic policy. That said, Jeb Bush, as a Catholic, is not free to discard the social teaching of the Catholic Church, under which the new papal encyclical on climate change would appear to fall, because it doesn’t suit his personal beliefs. Note well that Bush doesn’t even know what Francis is going to say in the encyclical, but rejects out of hand that the Church has anything binding to say to him about economics.

Second, how is it that Jeb Bush has been a Catholic convert for 25 years, and doesn’t grasp that Catholic Christianity is not focused only on personal piety, but has a broad social dimension as well? On what grounds does he oppose abortion, then? On what grounds did he fight to keep Terri Schiavo alive as her governor? Does he reject what the Catholic Church teaches about the poor?

What a disappointing statement. Bush is no better than liberal Catholics who reject the Church’s teachings on abortion, marriage, and other areas that inconvenience their consciences.
    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...eria-catholic/

Yet another in a neverending series of religious people who will defend certain culturally unsavory viewpoints by throwing up their hands and pointing to scripture... and then conveniently discard other matters of dogma using a conscience that apparently doesn't emanate from their particular holy book.

I was once a normal kid
    Till the Devil came down and flipped my lid
    He gave me a switchblade and he gave me a muse
    Then he vomited acid all over my shoes
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...eria-catholic/

Yet another in a neverending series of religious people who will defend certain culturally unsavory viewpoints by throwing up their hands and pointing to scripture... and then conveniently discard other matters of dogma using a conscience that apparently doesn't emanate from their particular holy book.
    Yes of course, only ppl of religion are hypocrites.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Room 101
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Yes of course, only ppl of religion are hypocrites.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Enjoy your burrito.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fox News personality Greg Gutfeld accused Pope Francis of being “the most dangerous person on the planet because he is seeking “strange new respect” from adversaries on climate change.

On Tuesday night’s episode of The Five, the panel discussed the pontiff’s leaked encyclical that warns of “unprecedented destruction of the ecosystem” unless drastic changes to lifestyle and energy consumption are made globally. Gutfeld accused the pope of having a “Marxist” background and Malthusian belief system.

“And that is what the Pope is doing. He doesn’t want to be your grandfather’s pope. He wants to be a modern pope. All he needs is dreadlocks and a dog with a bandanna and he could be on Occupy Wall Street,” Gutfeld ranted, in a video clip procured by Media Matters.

In a conspiratorial-sounding diatribe, Gutfeld implied there was a link between the Pope’s supposed Malthusian belief in a looming overpopulation-related global catastrophe and climate change.

He is a Malthusian. He is in bed with Malthus. He believes that the Earth is overpopulated… and remember he said Catholics have to stop breeding like rabbits? Do you remember where that came from? That’s a Malthusian belief. And Malthusians believe that the Earth is overpopulated and it would be nice if there were a few billion people less. How does that happen? Global warming.

Juan Williams countered Gutfeld by saying he was politicizing something that wasn’t necessarily political.

“I think the problem for you is that you put it in a box of pure politics, left and right,” he said. “What about if the Pope is simply saying… we should do all we can to support God’s green earth. Is that so radical?”

Gutfeld responded, “Um, he has a Marxist background.”
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/fox-...on-the-planet/

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 4
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    He has steadfastly supported GW's foreign policy. In any case, he has held up his religious beliefs as a means to justify his stance on prohibiting gay marriage. He uses religion whenever it is politically advantageous, just like most politicians.
    He was referencing his economic policy, not his stance on social issues.
    I get it...
    Jeb Bush = GWB the younger = GHWB
    You know that Jeb has a son named George as well right?
    Quote Quote