Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: How many guns are in your home?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll

14 42.42%

3 9.09%
  • 2-5

9 27.27%
  • 6-10

4 12.12%
  • 11+

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms in your home?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Firearms in your home?

With all the recent debate about firearms in our country, I was curious about something.

How many guns do you have in your home?

Me - I currently own four.

Two rifles (.30-30 & .22)
    One shotgun (12 gauge pump)
    One handgun (.45)

... & I've been saving up for a nice .357 magnum revolver.

What say you?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a S&W 659. Looks exactly like the one pictured below other than my trigger guard is rounded and not pointed like this one.

Ladies and gentlemen, the next coach of our Miami Dolphins!

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mossberg 500 pistol grip with an ATI folding stock. My favorite.

22 pistol and rifle. I try to commonize ammo.

.30-06 Springfield

AK-47

And the rumor is Santa is bringing me an AR-15.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    None. The statistics say that myself, the wife, or a random family member is more likely to get shot with it than a home invader. Plus, I don't hunt, so I have no need for one...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    None. The statistics say that myself, the wife, or a random family member is more likely to get shot with it than a home invader. Plus, I don't hunt, so I have no need for one...
    That little stat has been debunked for years now. It was a lie when it was said and it is still a lie.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    That little stat has been debunked for years now. It was a lie when it was said and it is still a lie.
    Care to share your debunking study? Here is just one study that showed a correlation between gun ownership and increased risk of getting shot and killed:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...nd-killed.html

Packing heat may backfire. People who carry guns are far likelier to get shot and killed than those who are unarmed, a study of shooting victims in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has found.

It would be impractical not to say unethical to randomly assign volunteers to carry a gun or not and see what happens. So Charles Branas's team at the University of Pennsylvania analysed 677 shootings over two-and-a-half years to discover whether victims were carrying at the time, and compared them to other Philly residents of similar age, sex and ethnicity. The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighbourhood.

Despite the US having the highest rate of firearms-related homicide in the industrialised world, the relationship between gun culture and violence is poorly understood. A recent study found that treating violence like an infectious disease led to a dramatic fall in shootings and killings.

Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Care to share your debunking study? Here is just one study that showed a correlation between gun ownership and increased risk of getting shot and killed:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...nd-killed.html
    I would have to ask you who do you think are the usual people that get shot in a usual city? For instance if this study was done in Chicago my guess would be that most of the people that were shot were also carrying, is this so hard to understand? Criminals shoot other criminals regularly.

My town or island in NY is absolutely FULL of guns, we are very big with sportsmen. My wife used to say I had too many guns, when we bought our house here we soon found out both of my neighbors collections dwarfed mine.

Would you like to know the last time we had any issue with a gun in my Town of ~20 thousand people? There was one, and it was about 4 or 5 years ago, I think that would put us amongst the most safe places in any country.

In short the problem with this study is its designed to make people think that normal law abiding citizens that carry are getting murdered at a much higher rate than usual. This is NOT THE CASE, thugs that carry guns illegally, usually , get killed at a much higher rate than normal...big surprise.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I don't have them in my house because I don't have room for proper storage in my apartment and I won't be here long enough to bother, but I have two stored at my parent's house in Texas: a Winchester 94 that's been passed down a couple generations and a Remington 870 that was passed down from my dad. I also have his compound bow, which was his primary hunting weapon.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't have them in my house because I don't have room for proper storage in my apartment and I won't be here long enough to bother, but I have two stored at my parent's house in Texas: a Winchester 94 that's been passed down a couple generations and a Remington 870 that was passed down from my dad. I also have his compound bow, which was his primary hunting weapon.
    Dang that jogged my memory, need to change my vote from 0 to 1. Forgot about a colt .45 pistol from WW2 left to me by an uncle that is locked in a box in the attic.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Dang that jogged my memory, need to change my vote from 0 to 1. Forgot about a colt .45 pistol from WW2 left to me by an uncle that is locked in a box in the attic.
    Yeah, I'm not a hunter. Nothing against it (except those that sit in trees and shelters and whatnot, which isn't hunting IMO), just never really got into it despite loving the outdoors. Keeping them because they've been in my family for a good while and in case my son ever expresses an interest as I still have a lot of family that hunt.
    Quote Quote