Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: How many guns are in your home?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll

14 42.42%

3 9.09%
  • 2-5

9 27.27%
  • 6-10

4 12.12%
  • 11+

3 9.09%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms in your home?

1. -41
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    None. I believe that guns are miserable failures when it comes to home defense. Consider: A gun is most likely locked up if you are a responsible gun owner with children in the home. As such, if a home invasion occurs, the chances of you locating, unlocking the gun and successfully thwarting a home invader as you wipe away the sleep from your eyes during a tense situation in the darkness of your home does not give one the best odds. Additionally, most home intruders, one would assume, are attempting to rob your home not murder those within it, although there are cases where rape is the intruder's intent. If the intent of the intruder is to rob your home, they certainly do not desire to murder those within it. However, once a homeowner with a gun enters the equation, the stakes are upped, and the intruder's defenses are triggered. Its you or him. Introducing a gun into the equation greatly enhances the chances that you or a family member will be killed by the armed intruder, regardless of your skills with a firearm.

A home alarm system and a canine are far superior home defense systems. Plus, a dog also provides something that a gun could never provide - love and companionship.

In addition to the aforementioned failure of guns as home defense tools, statistics show that gun owners are much more likely to be killed by guns than non-gun owners - either due to accidents or crimes of passion.

That being said, I am all for your right to own a gun, although I fail to see the need for semi-automatic or automatic rifles in the homes of regular citizens.
    Thanks for your diagnosis, doc.

The question was: How many guns do you have in your home?

You could've just said "None"
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

3. -43
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    None. I believe that guns are miserable failures when it comes to home defense. Consider: A gun is most likely locked up if you are a responsible gun owner with children in the home. As such, if a home invasion occurs, the chances of you locating, unlocking the gun and successfully thwarting a home invader as you wipe away the sleep from your eyes during a tense situation in the darkness of your home does not give one the best odds. Additionally, most home intruders, one would assume, are attempting to rob your home not murder those within it, although there are cases where rape is the intruder's intent. If the intent of the intruder is to rob your home, they certainly do not desire to murder those within it. However, once a homeowner with a gun enters the equation, the stakes are upped, and the intruder's defenses are triggered. Its you or him. Introducing a gun into the equation greatly enhances the chances that you or a family member will be killed by the armed intruder, regardless of your skills with a firearm.

A home alarm system and a canine are far superior home defense systems. Plus, a dog also provides something that a gun could never provide - love and companionship.

In addition to the aforementioned failure of guns as home defense tools, statistics show that gun owners are much more likely to be killed by guns than non-gun owners - either due to accidents or crimes of passion.

That being said, I am all for your right to own a gun, although I fail to see the need for semi-automatic or automatic rifles in the homes of regular citizens.
    There stupid and hard to use if you go full retard when something goes down.

I have a perfect pocket pistol right in my nightstand drawer that has a code for it.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    I wish it was always like this.

Not always a fair fight WV. Sometimes the good ole thunderfists are irrelevant.

Quote Quote  

4. -44

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Thanks for your diagnosis, doc.

The question was: How many guns do you have in your home?

You could've just said "None"
    Or he couldve just said he isnt a huge gash and we couldve concluded that therefore he has none.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    There stupid and hard to use if you go full retard when something goes down.

I have a perfect pocket pistol right in my nightstand drawer that has a code for it.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

I wish it was always like this.

Not always a fair fight WV. Sometimes the good ole thunderfists are irrelevant.

Like when? The 30 or so times a year someone tries to storm into your home with a gun while youre there?
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan3411 View Post
    A HEALTH INSURERS WORST NIGHTMARE...well, if nothing else i'm sure you have just hit on the reason all of our worthless bought and paid for politicians will keep the direction of the talks away from any improvement in this area.
    One of many, many reasons unfortunately.

Quote Quote  

6. -46

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    I'm sorry, WV ... Did you just infer that I'm a ***** because I've got guns?
    Quote Quote  

7. -47

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    I'm sorry, WV ... Did you just infer that I'm a ***** because I've got guns?
    No. Not at all.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    A great article. It's extremely frustrating that we won't be able to deal with mental health issues any time soon. The government certainly won't and mental health is a health insurer's worst nightmare as it's lifelong care and expensive (pharmaceutical companies and psychiatrists love it though).
    In other words, we're just going to ignore the real problem?

Check.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo

Check.
    It's not just one problem, but yes, we're absolutely ignoring all of them. The American way. But we'll all be very, very upset and whatnot when it happens again. Hold some vigils and stuff and then change the channel.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

Check.
    If I said let's ban everyone with aspergers syndrome because you can never truly know what is going to happen it would be as ludicrous as banning all firearms. It is just a reaction to a problem and isn't a solution at all to the fundamental problems that our society has. The fundamental problem that this society has is the "fix it syndrome".

It is taking shape right now after this horrible tragedy, let's ask the government to fix all of our problems for us, let's ask them to take all the responsibility upon themselves and legislate into law responsibility on an individual level, if you cannot see the fallacy in that philosophy than I cannot help you. Limitation doesn't fix the problem, education and moral values fix the problems, those are passed on be parenting and educational values.

I am a father and bona fide hard as nails tougher than rawhide guys guys, I own guns and ride **** that goes fast, I don't go to the hospital unless something falls off of me or is sticking out but you know what......I cried when I saw this news. I'm not assumed to admit either, it is sad and anyone with a goddamn heart should feel horrible for that community.

It is a tragedy of unimaginable intent but I wonder how many parents took the time after watching this horrible, twisted thing to sit down and talk with their kids about what issues they are having in their lives? Did they sit down and ask them how they felt about this and talk to them about what could have been taught to help solve this problem or did they just take up cause and start passing on the message that someone needs to fix it for us? The message that America seems to be lost in right now, the "someone will make it all better for us" message.

I talked to my son about guns, their intended use, how he felt about them, school violence, what to do if this happened at his school and why he should be aware of things in his surroundings. You will never know what is truly going on in a persons head and no amount of laws will fix that, no amount of council or study will ever truly give you 100% insight into some else and their conscious. The only thing I as a father can do is help my son make the right choices and support him when he falls, help him learn from his mistakes and make him understand that no matter what happens if you don't fix yourself, no one is going to do it for you.

This is the value that I pass on to my son, not the "let's sit back and wait for someone else to fix it for me" mentality that has gotten "us" as a society to this point.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote