Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: How many guns are in your home?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll

14 42.42%

3 9.09%
  • 2-5

9 27.27%
  • 6-10

4 12.12%
  • 11+

3 9.09%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: Firearms in your home?

1. -111
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I've read some passages from it, but never the whole thing. Apparently it is pretty much just a compilation of the work he has already published, so I'm sure I've studied most of it at one time or another. His work on the 2 systems of thought processes is good stuff, and very informative. Since you're pretty politically well-versed, I think it'll entertain you after reading up on that and then seeing how it applies to some of our more vocal public figures. If I remember correctly, he also did the study on framing, which is always good for a laugh. I know some of the Professors here are starting to add parts of it to their class's reading assignments, though. So that means it reads easier than a research paper.
    Well, I'm not at all familiar with his work, so it sounds like a good place to get the basic idea.

How is that for your leisure reading, you pick up non-fiction scientific books? Most people go find something a little less dry. Any reading I do in my downtime is always fantasy or science fiction. I get as far away from that stuff as possible. But I also work with it daily, so that does have an effect...

Yeah, my night table reading is pretty dry. And sort of eccentric, I guess (I have five books stacked up there right now, and none of them is at all similar to the others). But compared to what I'm reading now -- a 200 page book on the budget process called Red Ink -- a book on cutting edge human psychology actually sounds pretty vibrant. But I'm only a dabbler in this stuff, really. If I read 400 pages on a subject I'll pretty much think I've got it and can move on, even though that's bull****. A lot of my reading ideas come from Fareed Zakaria's show, actually. His recommendations are pretty solid. That and the Daily Show.

I definitely don't read as much fiction as I used to, though. I turn to movies and TV for that. Sports, especially football, is where I scratch my escapism itch.
    Quote Quote  

2. -112
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Damn. Gonzo with the body slam...
    Piers Morgan and Alan Derschowitz are OWNING on CNN right now. Morgan had this moron who was head of some gun nut group on earlier and straight up told him he was stupid.
    Quote Quote  

3. -113
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Well, I'm not at all familiar with his work, so it sounds like a good place to get the basic idea.

Yeah, my night table reading is pretty dry. And sort of eccentric, I guess (I have five books stacked up there right now, and none of them is at all similar to the others). But compared to what I'm reading now -- a 200 page book on the budget process called Red Ink -- a book on cutting edge human psychology actually sounds pretty vibrant. But I'm only a dabbler in this stuff, really. If I read 400 pages on a subject I'll pretty much think I've got it and can move on, even though that's bull****. A lot of my reading ideas come from Fareed Zakaria's show, actually. His recommendations are pretty solid. That and the Daily Show.

I definitely don't read as much fiction as I used to, though. I turn to movies and TV for that. Sports, especially football, is where I scratch my escapism itch.
    I tried to get through Richard Dawkin's The Greatest Show on Earth once, but it just felt like I was reading a text book. I think that was my last attempt at non-fiction. Once I finish up with my PhD and get away from all these papers, I might pick it up again. It took me almost 3 years after finishing up my BA to start writing again, though...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -114
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The mother of Adam Lanza, the gunman who killed 20 children and six adults in one of America’s worst ever school massacres, was a “survivalist” preparing for economic and social collapse, it has emerged.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8422298.html

Inside the piece though they report Adam Lanza's uncle said the boy was prescribed Fanapt, a controversial anti-psychotic medicine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-...#ixzz2FRTv1sXp

Fanapt is a type of prescription medicine used for the treatment of schizophrenia in adults.

http://www.fanapt.com/info/about-fan...76937017486013

So it looks like he was on a medication for schizophrenia. In fact, he is on one that a huge chunk of psychiatrists won't even prescribe because we don't have enough information on it. On top of that, his mother was a survivalist preparing him for the possible end of the world. So it looks like he did have schizophrenia, almost assuredly paranoid schizophrenia, and was on a medication for it that most psychiatrists won't even prescribe because not only does it not always work, it has been known to enhance these psychotic breaks. Addtionally, he had a mother convincing him that the world was about to collapse. She was telling a paranoid schizophrenic that the world was going to end and teaching him how to use guns. Yeah, there was no way that was going to end well. This is on the mother.

I have absolutely no doubt about that. While we'll never know for sure since his mom never took him in, this sounds like a psychotic break. I think 2 things could have happened. He is either paranoid schizophrenic and probably thought he was helping everyone by killing them before someone else did, and then himself when he thought they caught him, or he had something snap with this whole Mayan apocalypse nonsense coming up. Those with schizophrenia perseverate on things that are supernatural or science fiction, so I have a hard time believing that the timing of this is coincidence. Either one would have been easily avoided if he was seeing a psychiatrist regularly...
    I posted this yesterday, before all this stuff came out. Just sayin'...
    Quote Quote  

5. -115
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    12 gauge and 22 rifle
    I use to have a 30-30 but sold it.
    Quote Quote