Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress

In the wake of Friday’s mass killing at an elementary school in Connecticut, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Sunday that she plans to introduce an assault weapons ban bill on the first day of the new Congress.
    “I’m going to introduce in the Senate, and the same bill will be introduced in the House — a bill to ban assault weapons,” Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”
    The shocking murder of 26 children and adults in Newtown, Conn., on Friday has sparked a national discussion on gun control, with mostly Democratic legislators saying laws need to be tightened.

President Bill Clinton signed an assault weapons ban into law in 1994, but the measure expired a decade later. Democrats have tried several times since then to renew the ban, without success.

Feinstein called for the ban to be renewed after the mass shooting in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater that killed 12 people and injured 58 others.

“Who needs these military-style assault weapons? Who needs an ammunition feeding device capable of holding 100 rounds?” Feinstein wrote on her campaign website. “These weapons are not for hunting deer — they’re for hunting people.”

On Sunday Feinstein laid out details of the bill.

“It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively,” and ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets, Feinstein said. “The purpose of this bill is to get… weapons of war off the streets.”

Feinstein would not comment on whether President Obama had failed to lead on gun control. “He is going to have a bill to lead on,” she said.
    http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.co...ongress/28364/

And so it begins. Something tells me this bill will be very broad with what it considers an assault weapon. Nevermind the fact that the overwhelming majority of gun crimes aren't committed with "assault" weapons. But that doesn't matter now does it. Another kneejerk reaction resulting in less liberty and no safety.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.co...ongress/28364/

And so it begins. Something tells me this bill will be very broad with what it considers an assault weapon. Nevermind the fact that the overwhelming majority of gun crimes aren't committed with "assault" weapons. But that doesn't matter now does it. Another kneejerk reaction resulting in less liberty and no safety.
    I think you're overreacting here. Do we have less liberty because no one is allowed to own chemical weapons? Some things just aren't meant to be owned by anyone but the authorities, and I think assault weapons should be in included on that list. Besides, how does this make us less safe? How often do you draw an AK47 on someone...?

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Alright, I will bite, can anyone show me a reliable source that showed the last AWB did anything?

I can show you a CNN report that says it did not, I can also show you a Harvard study that shows gun control as counter productive.

I'm not trying to be a smartass I'm trying to stop us from making the same mistake over and over.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My brother-in-law's brother went in to buy a gun yesterday since it was his birthday. Turns out there were 1.400 people ahead of him for background checks. Luckily they go through them pretty quick so he can pick it up tomorrow but **** man. My background check when I picked up mine took minutes. The funniest part was when I filled out the form.

Question:

"Are you currently illegally using marijuana or any other substances?" YES [] NO [X]

Approved! I sure fooled them.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    My brother-in-law's brother went in to buy a gun yesterday since it was his birthday. Turns out there were 1.400 people ahead of him for background checks. Luckily they go through them pretty quick so he can pick it up tomorrow but **** man. My background check when I picked up mine took minutes. The funniest part was when I filled out the form.

Question:

"Are you currently illegally using marijuana or any other substances?" YES [] NO [X]

Approved! I sure fooled them.
    They go through 1400 background checks on a Saturday and Sunday?
    Must be pretty thorough.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I think you're overreacting here. Do we have less liberty because no one is allowed to own chemical weapons? Some things just aren't meant to be owned by anyone but the authorities, and I think assault weapons should be in included on that list. Besides, how does this make us less safe? How often do you draw an AK47 on someone...?
    I know you just didn't compare chemical weapons to an AK-47. Let's not go to the extreme here Locke. You went Obama/Bush WMD on me. You're a pretty reasonable person. I actually did have to pull out my ak once believe or not.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 12-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Completely a political move.

Shes taking advantage of the current discourse to get some attention. Cant blame her for that. But this will fail. Obama wont push for it and Republicans will kill it. I doubt she will even get Democrats to fully support it. Unfortunately a non-issue.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is probably the only time ever I'm happy the GOP owns the house.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Today I didn't even have to use my A.K. I got to say it was a good day

[youtube]i05AqUt5o5U[/youtube]
    Quote Quote