Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress

1. -11
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, an "A" rated member of the NRA, on Monday questioned the availability of assault weapons and suggested Friday's shooting in Newtown, Conn. has opened up the issue for debate.

Manchin said past debates about assault weapons have been shut down over a fear of destroying Second Amendment rights. But the senator said last Friday's shooting changed all that. "The massacre of so many innocent children has changed—has changed America. We've never seen this happen," Manchin said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

Manchin issued criticism of assault weapons, saying, "I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

Manchin, who received an endorsement from the NRA's Political Victory Fund for his 2012 re-election race, is one of the most prominent gun rights advocates in the Senate to speak about assault weapons in the wake of the shooting.

The senator famously and literally shot a hole in the president's "cap and trade" climate bill in a 2010 special election campaign ad aired during his first election to Congress.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/n...-election.html

I chuckled when he said "this has never happened before" but otherwise found this interesting. Still doubt that anything happens, but agree with what he was saying.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    They go through 1400 background checks on a Saturday and Sunday?
    Must be pretty thorough.
    im sure the background checks are automated and im sure it searches for things like felonies, etc. proably a pretty quick process.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Im curious...after Waco and Ruby Ridge, how come nobody called for taking guns away from our government?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Im curious...after Waco and Ruby Ridge, how come nobody called for taking guns away from our government?
    That's a good point, but maybe we should back track a bit more, what about after the publication of War is a Racket, what about after the McCollum memo, or Eisenhower's farewell speech?

Sorry, no offense to the actual soldiers as I and my father were, but it is exactly like all the fighting we do is with good, and just intentions.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I know you just didn't compare chemical weapons to an AK-47. Let's not go to the extreme here Locke. You went Obama/Bush WMD on me. You're a pretty reasonable person. I actually did have to pull out my ak once believe or not.
    It's a more relevant comparison than you'd like to believe, I think. Chemical weapons have a single purpose: to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. That sounds pretty similar to the purpose of an assault weapon. Well, maybe they are both deterrents as well. But still, unless you, or anyone else, can give me a logical reason why the average joe should be able to own assault weapons, my stance isn't going to change. I have absolutely no issues with handguns, shotguns, or hunting rifles. Those each have a purpose. Assault weapons have no reasonable use to civilians...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    It's a more relevant comparison than you'd like to believe, I think. Chemical weapons have a single purpose: to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. That sounds pretty similar to the purpose of an assault weapon. Well, maybe they are both deterrents as well. But still, unless you, or anyone else, can give me a logical reason why the average joe should be able to own assault weapons, my stance isn't going to change. I have absolutely no issues with handguns, shotguns, or hunting rifles. Those each have a purpose. Assault weapons have no reasonable use to civilians...
    Criminals and police both have assault style weapons. Why shouldn't I?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Criminals and police both have assault style weapons. Why shouldn't I?
    That's not a reasonable reason. Police have them to deal with criminals. When's the last time someone had a home invasion and the guy was carrying an AK-47? Criminals have them to combat police, who also have them. I can't remember the last time someone was mugged down the barrel of an assault rifle...
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Chemicals weapons kill indiscriminately and have the power to kill hundres to thousands at one time. A semi-automatic weapon requires you to actually have to aim and shoot the person you're trying to kill. BIG difference. The reason I have my AK and soon to be AR-15 is because I like them and we have a second amendment. I along with my family like to shoot guns on the range or out on people's properties. We like target practice and shooting guns, that's Americana on so many levels. I also like the feeling that my family has the ability to defend themselevs against any would be criminals that makes the worst decision in their life to attack my house. The day the criminals decide to give up thier guns then maybe I'll give up mine. But I would at least like to have the firepower to outgun any potential threat to my house and family. Having an AK and AR-15 helps do that. Especially if there are multiple people invading your home.

In the end an AWB won't do a thing about ending these massacres. Nothing at all. It will only accomplish taking these weapons away from law-abiding people who don't go on crazy murdering sprees. While giving criminals the one-up because now they will outgun any potential victims. The problem is much bigger than guns. It's a society, cultural and mental health problem.

You say you have no problem with handguns. Let's not forget that the VT shooter only had 2 handguns and one was a freaking 22. And he committed the worse school shooting ever. Like I said before. This bill won't do anything at all to stop that.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    im sure the background checks are automated and im sure it searches for things like felonies, etc. proably a pretty quick process.
    Right. Honestly Jared, show me a thorough background search over the weekend when most of law enforcement is not automated.

This background check probably is, if done at all, only local. I would assume that any background check like that is rather symbolic.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought background checks were through the FBI.
    Quote Quote