Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress

  1. -21
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Right. Honestly Jared, show me a thorough background search over the weekend when most of law enforcement is not automated.

    This background check probably is, if done at all, only local. I would assume that any background check like that is rather symbolic.
    im not showing anything, because i dont know. i do happen to know alot about HR products because i work with a company which deals in business solutions and background checks are part of it. but it is fair to say, that entering a social security number or drivers license number into a database will tell alot about a persons past, in a short amount of time. the products i sell for small business owners, the business owner can put a social in 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week and find out almost anything they need to know about a prospective employee. i would assume the database used to do background checks for guns is a lot more detailed and robust.

    my bro in law is a cop (wont say for which agency), we ran my ID a few weeks ago just as a joke, and i was shocked about what the cops could find out about me. i am 31 years old and my ticket from when i was 16 for possesion of alcohol was on my record.

    as i side not, i love how you dont trust government programs to do a detailed background check, yet you trust the government to provide everything to everybody. not trying to start ****, just an observation.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,029
    vCash:
    6256
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    im not showing anything, because i dont know. i do happen to know alot about HR products because i work with a company which deals in business solutions and background checks are part of it. but it is fair to say, that entering a social security number or drivers license number into a database will tell alot about a persons past.

    my bro in law is a cop (wont say for which agency), we ran my ID a few weeks ago just as a joke, and i was shocked about what the cops could find out about me. i am 31 years old and my ticket from when i was 16 for possesion of alcohol was on my record.

    You lush.





    "Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    You lush.

    not a lush, just trying to get laid.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,029
    vCash:
    6256
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    not a lush, just trying to get laid.
    Alcohol and women is a great combo for getting laid. That and GHB.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    oh a side note, it only took two days for politicans to pander about how "evil" the other side is. and another 30 seconds for the extremes on both sides to agree with said polticians.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    phinfan3411's Avatar
    pofo mofo

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,574
    vCash:
    3329
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I thought background checks were through the FBI.
    The NICS check is through the FBI, and as far as I know it is close to what jared described.

    Your name and ss# are input into the computer and everything you have done since you tried to skip class in high school comes up. The agent looks at it and decides if it is a proceed, delay, or a decline. If you are a "delay" the next higher up agent gets your info, with a little more detail, and then decides whether to let the sale go through or decline.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    3,489
    vCash:
    7055
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    im not showing anything, because i dont know. i do happen to know alot about HR products because i work with a company which deals in business solutions and background checks are part of it. but it is fair to say, that entering a social security number or drivers license number into a database will tell alot about a persons past, in a short amount of time. the products i sell for small business owners, the business owner can put a social in 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week and find out almost anything they need to know about a prospective employee. i would assume the database used to do background checks for guns is a lot more detailed and robust.

    my bro in law is a cop (wont say for which agency), we ran my ID a few weeks ago just as a joke, and i was shocked about what the cops could find out about me. i am 31 years old and my ticket from when i was 16 for possesion of alcohol was on my record.

    as i side not, i love how you dont trust government programs to do a detailed background check, yet you trust the government to provide everything to everybody. not trying to start ****, just an observation.
    I don't think that the initiation of the background check is government. Government provides the info. I question the private company if they actually do the check or initiate a thorough background check or if these applications are just rubber stamped. I find it hard to believe that a company can process 1400 background checks over the weekend.

    And you are wrong that I want government to provide everything to everybody. I believe my stance is and always was that government steps in where the private sector fails i.e. health care, certain regulations.

    EDIT: just read up on the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. I guess they have to provide info within 3 days. If no info has been given the sale can go through but if it turns out that the person should not have bought a gun it has to be retrieved. That makes sense now. In essence the 1400 background checks don't have to be approved over the weekend.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    MoFinz's Avatar
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    3,052
    vCash:
    1016
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    That's not a reasonable reason. Police have them to deal with criminals. When's the last time someone had a home invasion and the guy was carrying an AK-47? Criminals have them to combat police, who also have them. I can't remember the last time someone was mugged down the barrel of an assault rifle...
    So then, why is it ok for ME to be outgunned, but not the police?


    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,675
    vCash:
    3410
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    So then, why is it ok for ME to be outgunned, but not the police?
    Then why should we have police? Let's just rely on vigilantes to uphold the law...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    MoFinz's Avatar
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    3,052
    vCash:
    1016
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Then why should we have police? Let's just rely on vigilantes to uphold the law...

    LOL...it's always fun talking w/ you Locke.

    Police are always needed, but not neccessarily always around. In a situation where a person is confronted with a criminal armed with an assault weapon, why is it so reasonable to keep said assault weapon out of the hands of a person legally allowed to possess it, and most likely worlds more experienced in the proper use of the weapon?

    Life aint GTA ya know

    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Dianne Feinstein Says Her Goal is to Disarm All Americans
    By Dolphins9954 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  2. F"Im No"einstein to introduce Assault Weapons Bill
    By MoFinz in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  3. What an assault weapons ban won't do.
    By Dolphins9954 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
  4. First 100 days: Assault weapons ban
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
  5. Are you for the Assault Weapons ban yes or no why ??
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •