Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY, Someone Who Gets It

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FINALLY, Someone Who Gets It

GOP Rep.: More - not fewer - guns the answer

Updated 3:25 p.m. ET

Had Sandy Hook Elementary School principal Dawn Hochsprung kept a gun in her office, Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, argued today, the Newtown, Conn., shooting Friday that left 20 students and six faculty members dead would have had a far less tragic result.

"I wish to God she had had an M4 [carbine rifle] in her office locked up and so when she heard gunshots... she takes his head off before he can hurt those kids," Gohmert said of Hochsprung - who was among those killed - on FOX News Sunday. The alleged gunman, Adam Lanza, murdered his mother at home before driving to the school and killing 27 more, including himself.

"Every mass killing of more than three people in recent history has been in a place where guns were prohibited," he continued. "They choose this place, they know no one will be armed."

A vocal leader in the right-wing tea party movement, Gohmert stands out among conservatives who have been lying low since President Obama on Friday suggested the tragedy will give way to "meaningful action" on the gun issue; Gohmert and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, were the only pro-gun lawmakers or advocates to accept the networks' requests for interviews on the Sunday political shows.

Republican congressional leadership, like House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., have been silent on the issue since Friday, while the airwaves have been flooded with pro-gun control supporters, rendering Gohmert and Chaffetz the de facto spokesmen for congressional Republicans today.

Gohmert maintained that more, not fewer, guns is the answer, but said he agreed with Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., that any debate about reform needs to be "open-minded."

"Sen. Durbin's right... the conversation we've got to have has got to have everybody open-minded," Gohmert said. "We all react emotionally, that's why we've all shed tears and our prayers will continue to go to the people in Connecticut who've lost loved ones."
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I really don't know which is crazier, this or the opposite side of the coin in which all guns are banned and confiscated. I'll just call them equal.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I certainly hope this is what Obama meant when he said things are going to change. He has the info, he knows the truth, he knows that every time guns restrictions are implimented crime rate increases. I hope what he is meaning is to take a page from Kennesaw, GA, where they made it manditory that every head of household own a handgun. The buglary rate fell 89%.

Only those willing to abide by the law are affected by gun restrictions.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Adam Lanza wouldn't have even been able to get in the school were it not for the assault rifle he had. The school had proper securities in place to keep out intruders. Lanza used the assault rifle he stole from his mother to cut an entrance into the school. Fact is, if his mother didn't have an insane cache of high powered weapons in her home, this wouldn't have occurred.

The argument that if only the principal had a gun, the children would have been saved hinges on the idea that the principal would have been able to successfully hit the target. There are a lot of factors involved there. Yes, it is possible she might have been able to take him out, but it is also possible he would have been able to avoid her gun fire and murdered her anyway.
    Last edited by SkapePhin; 12-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    I certainly hope this is what Obama meant when he said things are going to change. He has the info, he knows the truth, he knows that every time guns restrictions are implimented crime rate increases. I hope what he is meaning is to take a page from Kennesaw, GA, where they made it manditory that every head of household own a handgun. The buglary rate fell 89%.

Only those willing to abide by the law are affected by gun restrictions.
    Sorry, but I won't have a handgun in my house. Period. I have no problem with you having one in yours so long as you're not a felon (of any kind), have no mental illness, and go through the proper channels of obtaining a weapon; but I'll be damned if anybody is going to tell me I must own a gun. I'm sure you feel the same way at the thought of anybody telling you that you must give up your gun (again, unless you become a felon or develop dangerous mental illness).

That being said, Gohmert is a loonie on par with the old guard GOP that kept discussing their views on rape, which isn't surprising considering that part of Texas is one of the craziest parts of the country (dealt with people a lot when I worked in Dallas). A dying breed thankfully.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    New York, Chicage, Detroit and Washington D.C. all have some of the strictes gun control laws in the country......and are always at or near the top of the homicide and violent crimes lists annualy.

Just saying........

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    New York, Chicage, Detroit and Washington D.C. all have some of the strictes gun control laws in the country......and are always at or near the top of the homicide and violent crimes lists annualy.

Just saying........
    Can't speak for the other cities as I'm not as familiar with their gun laws, but NYC certainly is not, per capita.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would never say FORCING anyone to carry a gun against their will could be a good idea, never.

There are several instances of citizens ending incidents that could have been much worse because they carry. I'm sorry in almost every instance these guys seem to not want a fight, they seem to exterminate themselves rather than fight a "fair" fight, look no further than the mall shooting last week.

Can CCW's always help? Maybe not, but in those situations I would rather take my chances with them.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Generally being on the opposite side of anything Louie Gohmert believes is prudent.
    Quote Quote