Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Saban: Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper

1. -41
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    He shouldnt go to Cleveland. Saban dosent have enough time to turn that franchise around. He needs to start focusing on a run at the presidency in 2016.
    This again? The topic came up, and posters were serious about it, when Saban coached the Dolphins.

He'd be a disaster as a national candidate. Do you realize what it takes to run for president? Every word and mannerism is scrutinized for more than a year, with the opposing party desperate to rearrange anything it can. Meanwhile, Little Nicky Saban can't tolerate questioning from sports reporters in a major market. His eyes raged in how-dare-you fashion. It reached the point the local reporters had so little respect for him they wrote and said whatever they wanted, and Saban was on the verge of a breakdown. He belongs in a minor market like Tuscaloosa where the local press is so intimidated by the fans and athletic department they don't dare question any decision or report anything of substance.

Saban was the worst human being who ever coached one of my favorite teams. I picked up on it long before he left, in fact I stopped posting here because anything I said would have had to be deleted, and/or my account banned. I don't care what he does or where he does it as long as I'm not subjected to it locally. Any self-respecting person would have to punch Nick Saban in the mouth if within range. I don't see how that could be denied, or even seriously debated. That's another obstacle to a political campaign. Little Nicky would be too busy picking himself up off the floor.

He's a nice guy when he beats the Gators.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    This again? The topic came up, and posters were serious about it, when Saban coached the Dolphins.

He'd be a disaster as a national candidate. Do you realize what it takes to run for president? Every word and mannerism is scrutinized for more than a year, with the opposing party desperate to rearrange anything it can. Meanwhile, Little Nicky Saban can't tolerate questioning from sports reporters in a major market. His eyes raged in how-dare-you fashion. It reached the point the local reporters had so little respect for him they wrote and said whatever they wanted, and Saban was on the verge of a breakdown. He belongs in a minor market like Tuscaloosa where the local press is so intimidated by the fans and athletic department they don't dare question any decision or report anything of substance.

Saban was the worst human being who ever coached one of my favorite teams. I picked up on it long before he left, in fact I stopped posting here because anything I said would have had to be deleted, and/or my account banned. I don't care what he does or where he does it as long as I'm not subjected to it locally. Any self-respecting person would have to punch Nick Saban in the mouth if within range. I don't see how that could be denied, or even seriously debated. That's another obstacle to a political campaign. Little Nicky would be too busy picking himself up off the floor.

He's a nice guy when he beats the Gators.
    On an earth where Bill parcells roams even Nick Saban could not be the worst human being ever. Parcells has bailed on multiple teams , conspired behind Tony Dungy;s back when he was still coach of Bucs and took way five years of actual building of our franchise.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Turin, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    9-7
    6-10....
    Buzz Meeks....
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
    9-7
    6-10....
    As compared to the multiple 7 and 9's we've had.......good one, rook.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    but he fails to mention how he decided that a part time SEC RB coupled with a journeyman QB best known for banging his head against concrete walls were better options than drafting a QB who fell in his lap who turned out to be a SB and league MVP and arguably the best in the league. Go figure
    That's an easy one. Him and Linehan were in love with Alex Smith. During the lead up to the draft, Smith even mentioned how Saban and Linehan were always calling him, during the combine they spent 2 hours just breaking down film together, and they also took Smith out for dinner during the combine and talked more football. Saban wanted Smith.

Also WV, I thought Wayne did give Saban full control. Nick hired Randy Mueller to be the GM. I could be wrong.

At the time Saban left, I was mad at him, but I was a kid. I really don't care anymore. It was even said back then, his family did not like Miami. Even back then, it was reported that Wayne Huizenga gave Saban his blessing to leave. And even back then in my resentment towards him for leaving, he at least finished up the season. He didn't pull a Bobby Patrino and leave in the middle of the night only leaving letters to his players.

At the same time, as great of a coach as Saban is in college, and as much as he deserves another shot in the NFL, let's not act like he got run out. He made some poor roster decisions with or without the Brees fiasco. His 2 drafts weren't really impressive and I think only 3 of his free agent signings lasted more than 2 years (Vonnie Holliday, Andre Goodman, and Renaldo Hill). He also hated how the media took jabs at him. Those are facts. Now he very easily could've learnt what better to do while in charge of a pro program (see Pete Carroll). But to the Saban supporters his short time here was not all on the fins, but to the Saban haters he didn't just ditch us. Remember, we interviewed Mike Tomlin to be head coach and he had the best interview of anybody but Huizenga and Mueller were convinced we needed an offensive coach so they hired Cam Cameron.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the guy will never come back to the NFL..... the guy is an egomaniac that would rather be on top of the CFB hill then be a middle of the road big boy coach. He loves the fact that he can control these young kids and they do whatever he wants. He cant lead MEN instead he tries to dictate the weaker younger minds that wont question him. He is a POS
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT FinFan
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's my conspiracy theory...

I think Saban is trying to target me personally by setting up a move to be Cleveland's HC.
    Miami is my #1 team and Cleveland is my #2 team.
    No bandwagons here...it's been rough for me for many seasons!
    So, now Saban wants to get in there and destroy Cleveland, too!
    Not that they need any help, but he wants to make sure I suffer even more!

I can't stand that guy!
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    Who cares, and why the hell would he leave paradise for Cleveland, a team that will never go past Baltimore or Pittsburgh, hell they won't ever make it past Cincinatti.
    Sir, are you calling Alabama paradise? If so, you are greatly mistaken. Have you even driven through that place?

Perhaps you are talking about job security while making $5 million dollars a year?
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirspud View Post
    Why are you so sure, Saban wasn't good in the NFL the first time because you can't simply recruit the players you want. You have to be better at judging the talent and working the system in place for acquiring talent better than most of the people in the NFL, who can also be pretty smart themselves. You can't use your name and school prestige and recruit 20 top recruits a year to have the best ones emerge as starters for your team, you have one first round pick and some other draft picks to bring in talent in a predetermined order that may not give you a chance at all at who you want, and you have limited FA and cap dollars to bring in star players. If you make a bad judgement on a top recruit, one of the other top recruits will be there to replace him, or you can just bring in another recruit next year. You mess up a big decision, such as the starting QB position or a 2nd overall pick, and it can handicap your team for years.

In the end, I will always root against Saban, but I'll always feel like I got the last laugh in that a guy who pretty much wrote books about how awesome he was came to the NFL and ended up running away like a little girl because he couldn't handle it.

Everybody runs away from the Dolphins organization or haven't you noticed? It didn't even take Marino long to see it for what it really was.

Another difference between college and the NFL that you failed to mention is that you can't just go out and sign some guy off the street during the season in college if your depth is inadequate, or swing a trade. If you don't have that player or that depth already on the roster through your recruiting, there's nothing you can do about it until next year. That's why a team like Maryland had a linebacker playing QB for 'em this year after they lost 4 QB's to injury.

Saban didn't like the fact that there was always some bean counter peering over his shoulder in the NFL urging him to cut guys because of the salary cap situation, that had nothing to do with football. There's just as many NFL coaches that fail making the transition to college as there are college coaches failing to make the transition to the NFL. A lot of the best coaches the NFL has ever seen required more than one opportunity.

I wouldn't bet on having the last laugh just yet. Hell, you know he's laughing at Miami for hiring an NFL coach who got fired from college to run their offense like Mike Sherman.

As an Alabama guy, I'd support him to no end if he decided to leave and go to the NFL if that's what he wanted to do. It's obvious that he's far too superior in his organizational, motivational, coaching skills, and attention to detail not to get another chance to achieve success in the NFL. If he's bored with the challenge of college football, and that stint with the Dolphins really bothers him that bad..... then he should go.

Not for the money, but because he knows he can win in the NFL with the right situation.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    On an earth where Bill parcells roams even Nick Saban could not be the worst human being ever. Parcells has bailed on multiple teams , conspired behind Tony Dungy;s back when he was still coach of Bucs and took way five years of actual building of our franchise.

Not to mention Parcells advising supposed division "rivals" on which coaches to hire.

I'd hope all the high class, high moral, non-judgemental, full of integrity folks down in south Florida who never make mistakes are hospitable to him when he comes down for a visit to win another national title in a few weeks.

After all, the one's who are the most heartbroken and still hold a grudge are the one's who put all their faith in him and defended him like family to begin with just like they do every coach the Dolphins hire.
    Quote Quote