Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: South Carolina House of Representatives Start Bill to Arm School Employees

1. -31
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Did I say you jared? Surely you want good teachers rewarded and paid well. I was referring to those that turn up in every thread about teachers that say they are overpaid and ridicule the profession. Happens every time. There absolutely is a general disrespect for teachers in this country. So, let's arm them. Make sure to take the cost of the gun, ammo, and training out of their paychecks though!

No you didn't say me, but I am very critical of teachers unions and the way that most educators think. I have three teachers in my immediate family and I tell them all the time regarding the things I disagree with. Teaching is a great profession (I would be happy if my daughters grow up to be educators). But they don't produce capital, get summers off, a pension, great benefits and have tenure. Do I feel sorry for the criticism the profession has had, nope. Does that make me a teacher hater?
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo

Re: South Carolina House of Representatives Start Bill to Arm School Employees

Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    No you didn't say me, but I am very critical of teachers unions and the way that most educators think. I have three teachers in my immediate family and I tell them all the time regarding the things I disagree with. Teaching is a great profession (I would be happy if my daughters grow up to be educators). But they don't produce capital, get summers off, a pension, great benefits and have tenure. Do I feel sorry for the criticism the profession has had, nope. Does that make me a teacher hater?
    Good teachers don't get summers off. Good teachers spend that time taking classes and/or teaching. Many have to work second jobs in addition. Now, if you don't think they deserve benefits and pension, yes, I suppose that does make you a "teacher hater' (your words, not mine).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good teachers don't get summers off. Good teachers spend that time taking classes and/or teaching. Many have to work second jobs in addition. Now, if you don't think they deserve benefits and pension, yes, I suppose that does make you a "teacher hater' (your words, not mine).

Agreed. And anyway, I would disagree with jared's contention that teachers don't create capital. By creating a smarter workforce that can get a better job with better pay than they would otherwise, they increase the amount of demand in the economy, which leads to the creation of capital.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 12-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks

Im fine with benefits. As far as pensions, that depends on how much. I don't get a pension, I contribute to a 401k and an Ira which my company gives a 2% match. They should be expected to fund a good amount of their retirement.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    By that standard, our teachers are failing...but it's ok, their jobs are safe, because they cant be fired, thanks to that union. And how come they never trot out the union salaries when they talk about how badly teachers are paid? Maybe that's where their pay went.

As far as arming teachers, NEVER. Guards or police officers, ok, but unless the teacher has a ccp, no thanks.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Pretty much. It's not rocket science. Although, I would definately recommend as much practice time as you can get in order to become proficient. Just like any other acquired skill, practice makes perfect.
    I'd think it's more complicated than shooting at a deer that poses no threat to you. You choose to go out and kill those animals for your own purposes. It's 1,000,000% different to shoot and kill someone who is looking to mass kill you and others in a split second (I would think).

There is NO way all teachers would be able to not only holster a weapon but use it to kill someone in front of their children.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

No-one is suggesting that teachers would be forced to carry. It's being proposed as an option for those in SC.
    I wasn't necessarily talking about the SC amendment. I've seen other people's opinions and they talk about arming the entire staff in each school.

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Funny how convenient it suddenly is to have government involved. Who is going to pay for all the guns to arm school employees and who is going to pay for their practices and gun licenses? Government?

Here is a gun legislation: tax the living crap out of guns. If you have more than a simple revolver for self defense I throw in a $1000/year (per weapon) gun license fee.
    That solves several problems: you contribute to the federal budget (increased revenue), you pay for luxury and unnecessary items, you still have the 2nd amendment protected, and you probably have less of those "oh look at the cool semi-automatic assault rifle I have. I may have a small d**** but I got a big a**weapon".

EDIT: FH - check the profanity filter. I edited my post. It let a couple words through.
    I got a better idea, take the taxes that are going to these human slaughter houses, called abortion clinics, and use that money to arm people at our schools to protect our children, rather than slaughtering them.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I'm insane because I want cops guarding our kids???
    I am not answering that question about the insane part. I leave that up to Irish.

But aren't you the one constantly badgering the police and how brutal they are and what kind of police state we are living in. Now you want these cops in our schools. What if they have suspicion and search someone? Are you ragging then on illegal searches without a warrant?

Or are they just there when something happens and they can shoot around as well?

And what about your notion with too much government? Now you want to use government to solve a problem which the private sector has created because of the lack of regulation?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Not a fan of this. I think we should have trained officers in every school guarding our kids. End the war on drugs and use those resources to pay for it. Make it so the next time this happens (and it will even with an AWB because let's not forget Columbine and many of the worst school shooting happened during the last AWB.) someone will be there ready to put a bullet in these cowards.
    Very good point, and there are alot in law enforcement that agree with you. Below is a link to a transcript to a police meeting where they discuss this. They also discuss that the worst is yet to come. The tragic loss of life in CT pales in comparrison to Beslan, and there is little doubt if precautions are not soon put in place you are going to start seeing their promises of such attacks carried out here in the states. Very interesting read, and great analogy. Worth the time to read this article.

http://www.policeone.com/active-shoo...emy-is-denial/
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe some of the $ used on useless DUI cashpoints....er, checkpoints could be used to fund some presence at schools
    Quote Quote