Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MERGEDX2: Gil Brandt comments on state of Dolphins

1. -11
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    It seems like we are stuck with Ireland, so I guess he'll get a chance to prove himself once and for all. But when people say he has done well to improve the team, I'd counter with A. He's had 5 years and the last 4 of those years he'll finish with a non winning record and B. He really hasn't drafted that well, especially at skill positions . . . he didn't give the QB position the right attention until his 5th year when the whole staff overturned but him . . . and the coach he brought in, brought in an OC with the same system that the drafted QB worked in. Honestly saved his job but give credit where credit is due I guess, it took 30 years to draft a QB in the first round and Ireland pulled the trigger. Let's hope he doesn't blow a wad of cash and draft picks next year.

Ryan Tannehill certainly hasn't gotten better with every game, he started well, hit a rookie wall and he seems to have finally climbed over that wall which is a GREAT thing. Would love for him to finish the season strong and I expect a strong performance against the Bills at Sunlife this Sunday. I do love having a horse in the "which young QB will turn into a franchise QB" race.

Joe Philbin, I mean I dunno, he seems like a good coach, I like a coach that takes a chance, and he definitely has done that several times this year but some of his in game decisions have been questionable. Like any other coach, if the team is winning he'll be considered a success, if they lose, he'll be considered a failure.

Kevin Coyle has been good, but 12 turnovers in 14 games is unacceptable. Of course turnovers involve some luck as well and we haven't been very fortunate to recover only 5 of 16 or so forced fumbles . . . but to truly be a real good defense you have to do better in that department.

Mike Sherman has been questionable many times this year, but to his credit, he's truly working with arguably the worst set of skill players in the league. I've been critical of his lack of using Reggie in the passing game as well. If Fasano is spending more time blocking, and you don't trust your other TE's or depth chart WR's . . . put Reggie in the slot and get him on a mismatch. We haven't seen it enough this year.

Make the right moves by trading Vontae? Indy fans are tickled to have him . . . and this is after sitting out with injury most of the season. The Vontae trade won't be judged until Jeff Ireland proves he can replace him properly and there is no guarantee that he can do that. The position that we are in with having to resign Sean Smith and having such limited depth at the CB position is more of a head scratching reason on why we traded him to begin with. Remember, he was making like only 1 million a year for the remainder of his contract and I'm not sure you find a player as talented as Vontae with the Colts late 2nd round pick. You can never have enough good starting caliber CB's and we went from having 2 solid starting CB's to potentially none in one season . . . that isn't a good thing.

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I havent listened to his commentary yet, but for full disclosure, he is Irelands friend. That could mean he has real insight into a situation that others dont, or it could mean he is doing Ireland a favor.

3. -13
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Ireland is here next year regardless. I can deal with that, though I don't think he's a very good GM, he certainly made a huge improvement by finally drafting the most important position in football where you should draft the most important position in football. Further, if his intention with drafting Martin was to have leverage in negotiating with Long, it would be the first proactive move I think he's ever made, which is a sign of improvement. All I know is that he has a ton of money and draft picks to work with in the offseason, so there is literally no excuse for botching it. There is no excuse for missing the playoffs next year. That being said, I know I can count on plenty of excuses if it doesn't happen...

2013 playoff team or he is a complete and utter failure.

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll know after the draft how I feel about this team's future.

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hope everyone read this sentence: "I'm impressed with the entire organization, including general manager Jeff Ireland, who has done well to improve the team."

That's out of the mouth of one of the most respected people in the NFL media
    Supporter of logic and organizational consistency

6. -16
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Gardens
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    Hope everyone read this sentence: "I'm impressed with the entire organization, including general manager Jeff Ireland, who has done well to improve the team."

So it must be true! : /

7. -17
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post

Brandt and Ireland are friends. I respect Gil Brandt, he is not your typical network schmo, but let's be realistic, I think he is just trying to help out his buddy here. And there's nothing wrong with that. If I were writing such a column and a friend of mine was taking fire with his job on the line, I would probably put a comment like that in there, too.
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!

8. -18
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didn't realize the Dolphins have the second youngest roster. As for the write up, I like Gil Brandt but I disagree with his statement about Ireland. When it comes to Parcells and Ireland, I don't listen to him very closely as they are pretty close. Agree we are stuck with Ireland another year so I can only hope for the best this off season.

9. -19
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins7273 View Post
    So it must be true! : /
    Doesn't mean it is inaccurate either. It appears a lot of people have mixed emotions about Jeff Ireland. Most of the fans seem to hate him, but a lot of NFL people(both in and out of the game) and media members seem to like him and are saying he should return.

10. -20
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Outside of the Dolphins there is a lot of positivity about the future of the team within the media etc... within the fanbase you'd think we went 0-16. We have a winning record in Miami and attendances continue to fall