Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an assault weapons ban won't do.

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What an assault weapons ban won't do.

In the last full year of the previous assault weapons ban, how many Americans died as a result of a gun shot wound?
    Any guesses?

The answer is shockingly, over 30,000. Of those 11,000 were homicides. That's right, during the last assault weapons ban over 10K Americans - a year - were being murdered with guns.

In 2011, less than 50 people (as far as I can figure) were killed in "mass shootings" in America. That's 50 out of about 8500 (in fact the number is 8,775). In other words, mass shootings accounts for less than 0.6% of gun murders.

We REALLY need to ask ourselves, as a nation, as the activists that has the most influence with Obama and the Dems, what are we trying to accomplish.

Are we trying to simply stop mass shootings? OR are we trying to substantially lower the gun related death rate?

In 2010, of the 8,775 gun homicides, 6,009 were committed with a handgun. Another 373 with shotguns. Combined that makes up 73% of guns used in murders. The other 27% is comprised of rifles (358) and other (96). So, it's pretty easy to see that assault weapons probably account for less than less than 5% of gun homicides a year. Probably 2-3% at the max. (10% would be 877, the total for ALL rifles and Other is 454, about 50% - so that's 5% of the total - and both of those number can't include assault rifles, so...)
    http://www.fbi.gov/...

So let's subtract 2-3% from out 2011 numbers, and what have we? Much much less than 500 fewer gun related murders a year, assuming the murder decides not to just use a hand gun instead. (5% is 438, and it's significantly less than 5%)

A 3% reduction would mean over 8500 people a year murdered with guns.

Is that the goal?

Should be not be trying for at least a 10% reduction? 15%?

An assault weapons ban won't get us there, or even close.

So, if you're trying to simply lower the death toll in mass shootings an assault weapons ban makes a lot of sense (and I support it 100%), but if you're trying to lower the actual gun homicide rate (and don't even start on the gun accidents and suicides), then it's basically meaningless - though the people saved might disagree.

UPDATE 1:
    High Capacity magazines were also banned under the previous assault weapons ban, when the gun murder rate is higher than it is now.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...s-ban-won-t-do#

Hype up the threat and take away liberties. Sound familiar????

"Assault weapons account for 2-3% of all gun murders." Which means 97% are killed by weapons that an Assault Weapons Ban won't cover. High Capacity magazines were also banned under the previous assault weapons ban, when the gun murder rate is higher than it is now.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 12-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    An assault weapons ban also wouldn't prevent assault weapons from being on the street or being used in killings.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    We just had 20, 5 to 7 year old kids with anywhere from 3 to 11 bullet wounds apiece. Now we are saying that things are hyped up.
    Tell me he couldn't do this with revolvers and shotguns. I would love to hear that load of crap.
    Last edited by JCane; 12-20-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    An assault weapons ban also wouldn't prevent assault weapons from being on the street or being used in killings.

Especially with millions of them already on the streets. Not to mention the the selling spree going on right now.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What an assault weapons ban won't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Tell me how you really feel. One would hope you get an infraction for this. Tell me he couldn't do this with revolvers and shotguns. I would love to hear that load of crap.
    Before I get banned, as I explained in earlier posts I never said you would stop it. I said you reduce the amount of people been killed. If you can't figure why, then there is no hope for you. Yeah, I will tell you how I really feel. Labeling the events of the past week as hype is flat out sick.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Especially with millions of them already on the streets. Not to mention the the selling spree going on right now.
    Yeah, let's do nothing. Solution for everything.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Before I get banned, as I explained in earlier posts I never said you would stop it. I said you reduce the amount of people been killed. If you can't figure why, then there is no hope for you. Yeah, I will tell you how I really feel. Labeling the events of the past week as hype is flat out sick.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

So you're cool with VT shooter numbers then??? Or all those school shootings that happened more under the last AWB.

I never said do nothing. Maybe if you took the time to read my posts and didn't go into partisan, tourette seizures then you might be on the level.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks

A good bit of it is hype IMO.

No one talks about this stuff until it happens. No one speaks out against guns quite like they do when a mass shooting happens. So, yes, a great deal of it is hype to a degree. Claiming that it's hype is in no way saying that the shootings are less terrible or less tragic. It's an AWFUL event of EPIC proportions, but the solution is not to go out and act upon emotions. You NEVER act out of emotion. And that's what people are doing.

People think that the guns did this. No, sir.

Adam Lanza, a crazy person did this. It's not what is wrong with our gun policy, but rather what is wrong with this sick INDIVIDUAL. How many times have you seen a mass shooting take place and the killer used guns that were registered to him? Lanza sure didn't. Those Columbine kids didn't.

Crazy people gon' crazy with or without guns.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    A good bit of it is hype IMO.

No one talks about this stuff until it happens. No one speaks out against guns quite like they do when a mass shooting happens. So, yes, a great deal of it is hype to a degree. Claiming that it's hype is in no way saying that the shootings are less terrible or less tragic. It's an AWFUL event of EPIC proportions, but the solution is not to go out and act upon emotions. You NEVER act out of emotion. And that's what people are doing.

People think that the guns did this. No, sir.

Adam Lanza, a crazy person did this. It's not what it wrong with our gun policy, but rather what is wrong with this sick INDIVIDUAL. How many times have you seen a mass shooting take place and the killer used guns that were registered to him? Lanza sure didn't. Those Columbine kids didn't.

Crazy people gon' crazy with or without guns.
    You are right that it was a crazy person that did this and not guns, but the fact is, with guns you can kill a larger amount of people in minutes than you could with any other weapon before the cops take you down. When you spray with an assault rifle you take down a huge amount of numbers at once as oppossed to other weapons were you would only be able to take down a few before your life is over. You want to make a gun your sport than go to the gun range, as long as the weapon doesnt leave the gun range theres no problem. Why continue to risk the lifes of other peoples for your own personal satisfaction to have guns at home?? selfishness.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    You are right that it was a crazy person that did this and not guns, but the fact is, with guns you can kill a larger amount of people in minutes than you could with any other weapon before the cops take you down. When you spray with an assault rifle you take down a huge amount of numbers at once as oppossed to other weapons were you would only be able to take down a few before your life is over. You want to make a gun your sport than go to the gun range, as long as the weapon doesnt leave the gun range theres no problem. Why continue to risk the lifes of other peoples for your own personal satisfaction to have guns at home?? selfishness.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

But it still doesn't change a thing. Crazy people will do crazy things.

Adam Lanza did not have a gun. Not one single gun. The kid had to go out and take guns from someone else because he didn't have any.

If we place an all-out assault weapons ban, you will see more assualt weapons popup illegally on the street. This puts more assault weapons into the hands of bad people who have no problem as it is committing crimes. If you're an idiot already and you have an arrest record like so many who would participate in illegal gun running do, it makes it damn near impossible to get your hands on a weapon the legal way.

Taking guns away from the people who know how to use them and are responsible with them solves nothing...because they crazy people who want and/or need and/or have a desire to kill people will find guns to do it with.
    Quote Quote