Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 102

Thread: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,133
    vCash:
    7383
    Thanks / No Thanks

    WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

    [youtube]0R3uLTnzs60[/youtube]

    This guy makes the best argument I've seen. I'm calling it a "defense" rifle from now on.





    "Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great video... millions of these things are owned by responsible, law-biding citizens who only want to use them for defense.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,825
    vCash:
    5030
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...
    Yes, assault rifle violence is very rare and only accounts for a small percentage of the gun-related violence in this country. He does make the point that if someone is going to come after him or his family with a handgun, he would like to be able to have the upper hand in that encounter.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    4,258
    vCash:
    22329
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...
    Plus
    in order to defend yourself with a weapon you have to have that weapon ready to go before you are actually threatened by another weapon. If a home invasion occurs and someone has already pointed a gun at you (single revolver or bazooka) you will not be able to draw your gun or bazooka. So it really doesnt matter what kind of weapon you have.

    And if you need to defend yourself you either threaten the other person first or shoot first. In that moment it really does not matter what type of gun the defending party has or the intruder.

    The only scenario in which you need to have an assault rifle for self defense is in a wild shoot out but I doubt that these people coming into your house with AR-15s (or whatever) are concerned about stealing your silver ware anyways. You have much bigger problems or issues.

    This "I have a right to defend myself against tyranny" may have been valid some 200 years ago when the choice of weapons was on an even footing with a possible tyranny government but today....
    What are you going to do with an AR-15 against today's modern weaponry any tyrant would have access too?

    Or how do criminals get illegal access to AR-15s and the like? By stealing it from owners or places who sell them. Just as anybody can buy them because these weapons are accessible any criminal can steal them from places who has them. So in essence the legal owners of SR-15s and the likes and the shops who sell them legally are largely responsible in the first place for any criminal to have this type of weapon.

    In my opinion the only reason to have this type of weapon is to artificially inflate an already weak ego and/or to hide the lack of shooting ability.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    "You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,133
    vCash:
    7383
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Plus
    in order to defend yourself with a weapon you have to have that weapon ready to go before you are actually threatened by another weapon. If a home invasion occurs and someone has already pointed a gun at you (single revolver or bazooka) you will not be able to draw your gun or bazooka. So it really doesnt matter what kind of weapon you have.

    And if you need to defend yourself you either threaten the other person first or shoot first. In that moment it really does not matter what type of gun the defending party has or the intruder.

    The only scenario in which you need to have an assault rifle for self defense is in a wild shoot out but I doubt that these people coming into your house with AR-15s (or whatever) are concerned about stealing your silver ware anyways. You have much bigger problems or issues.

    This "I have a right to defend myself against tyranny" may have been valid some 200 years ago when the choice of weapons was on an even footing with a possible tyranny government but today....
    What are you going to do with an AR-15 against today's modern weaponry any tyrant would have access too?

    Or how do criminals get illegal access to AR-15s and the like? By stealing it from owners or places who sell them. Just as anybody can buy them because these weapons are accessible any criminal can steal them from places who has them. So in essence the legal owners of SR-15s and the likes and the shops who sell them legally are largely responsible in the first place for any criminal to have this type of weapon.

    In my opinion the only reason to have this type of weapon is to artificially inflate an already weak ego and/or to hide the lack of shooting ability.

    So since I don't have a chance to get my gun then I shouldn't have one???

    Is that really your arguement??

    Ever heard of a dog?? Best thing for home defense along with an AR-15. It's about having the best weapon available to defend your home against intruders. Home invasions happen everyday in this country. Why can't I have the best option available to defend myself??
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    WVDolphan's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    15,015
    vCash:
    21861
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Plus
    in order to defend yourself with a weapon you have to have that weapon ready to go before you are actually threatened by another weapon. If a home invasion occurs and someone has already pointed a gun at you (single revolver or bazooka) you will not be able to draw your gun or bazooka. So it really doesnt matter what kind of weapon you have.

    And if you need to defend yourself you either threaten the other person first or shoot first. In that moment it really does not matter what type of gun the defending party has or the intruder.

    The only scenario in which you need to have an assault rifle for self defense is in a wild shoot out but I doubt that these people coming into your house with AR-15s (or whatever) are concerned about stealing your silver ware anyways. You have much bigger problems or issues.

    This "I have a right to defend myself against tyranny" may have been valid some 200 years ago when the choice of weapons was on an even footing with a possible tyranny government but today....
    What are you going to do with an AR-15 against today's modern weaponry any tyrant would have access too?

    Or how do criminals get illegal access to AR-15s and the like? By stealing it from owners or places who sell them. Just as anybody can buy them because these weapons are accessible any criminal can steal them from places who has them. So in essence the legal owners of SR-15s and the likes and the shops who sell them legally are largely responsible in the first place for any criminal to have this type of weapon.

    In my opinion the only reason to have this type of weapon is to artificially inflate an already weak ego and/or to hide the lack of shooting ability.
    Nicely done.

    Unfortunately, like most Americans these days, common sense and simply logic will not work well with most of this crowd.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,133
    vCash:
    7383
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...
    It would be around a 2% or 3% chance. It doesn't have to be an "assault" rifle. What if it's 2 or 3 guys all packing 9mm handguns. An AR-15 would greatly increase your chances of successfully defending your home against multiple enemies with guns. Home invasions happen everyday in this country and have been on the rise. Having the best defense rifle to defend against such a scenario would be the best choice and it happens to be our right too.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    WVDolphan's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    15,015
    vCash:
    21861
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    It would be around a 2% or 3% chance. It doesn't have to be an "assault" rifle. What if it's 2 or 3 guys all packing 9mm handguns. An AR-15 would greatly increase your chances of successfully defending your home against multiple enemies with guns. Home invasions happen everyday in this country and have been on the rise. Having the best defense rifle to defend against such a scenario would be the best choice and it happens to be our right too.
    Yea, its such a common scenario.



    2:03 mark.... "Youre door was left open." "I know. I like to encourage entruders."

    As I type this I notice my sliding glass door on the back porch is unlocked. I tell you what. Im about to go to sleep in a bit. I will leave it unlocked. This is not uncommon for me. I dont think the front door is locked either. I never check to be honest. I own no gun. Anyone who dares to enter...... go for it. Now, if you have a gun, Im screwed. I basically will let you take what you wish. Im not a poor. I can easily replace most items. Now, if you have come to harm my family, youre going to have to shoot me. If you dont, Im coming right for you and your gun at some point. So be prepared to fire it.

    Thing is, I dont think anyone wishes to harm me or my family. At least not anyone I know of. Most of the time, its people you know who do such a thing. I guess if a family member or friend went ape **** and had their mind set on harming us, then they are going to at some point whether its in my home or at theirs etc etc etc. It dosent have to be at night while Im sleeping.

    If were talking a random stranger.... that **** is so rare that I cant concern myself with it. Thats just bad luck. Who storms into peoples home with motives to do harm like that? Strangers. The Night Stalker Richard Ramirez? Yea, that **** happens sometimes. There are evil scumbags like him. I dont think anything like that has ever happened in this town though. Anyone who has been killed in a home invasion Im pretty sure its been people they know. Most of the time that stuff happens its because people associate with bad people or are involved in illegal activities themselves. Im in the clear there.

    Im just not scared. I guess you think we all should be, but Im sorry Im just not. I cant worry about Ted Bundy visiting my home. He wasnt interested in men anyway. Most deranged serial killers like that have a type. I cant think of another home invader who killed random families like that other than Richard Ramirez. Im sure there are others. Again, Im just not worried about it though.

    So if someone wants to come in with a gun and steal my stuff.... be my guest. I will survive. Im not going to introduce a gun into the situation. All that does is up the ante. The intruder then fears for his life and is much more likely to fire his weapon. I dont want anyone firing a gun in my home. Take my stuff. I will get new stuff. I only have one life though. I only have one wife and two kids. They arent replaceable.

    Now, if you dont have a gun and you enter my home with bad intentions....... you just ****ed up. You may want to rush quick before I rise up out of my bed. I am a light sleeper. Its going to help if you know the layout of my home and can get to me before I realize whats happening. Because if I get up before you bash me over the head with some blunt object, its going to be a rough evening for you. I know the layout of my home and can get around very easily in the dark. I know where all types of weapons are and how to get to them. I have a couple of things close by my bed I could easily defend myself with against whatever it is you have that isnt a gun.

    Basically, Im going to be just fine. I dont need a gun. I want nothing to do with them. You gun nuts can shoot yourselves all you want. Just leave me out of it. Im not frieghtened by the almost non existant possibility of a home invader entering my house with a gun. There is probably a better chance I get shot in some public place that is supposed to be safe and peaceful just because you gun nuts wont put your weapons away.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,825
    vCash:
    5030
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Yea, its such a common scenario.



    2:03 mark.... "Youre door was left open." "I know. I like to encourage entruders."

    As I type this I notice my sliding glass door on the back porch is unlocked. I tell you what. Im about to go to sleep in a bit. I will leave it unlocked. This is not uncommon for me. I dont think the front door is locked either. I never check to be honest. I own no gun. Anyone who dares to enter...... go for it. Now, if you have a gun, Im screwed. I basically will let you take what you wish. Im not a poor. I can easily replace most items. Now, if you have come to harm my family, youre going to have to shoot me. If you dont, Im coming right for you and your gun at some point. So be prepared to fire it.

    Thing is, I dont think anyone wishes to harm me or my family. At least not anyone I know of. Most of the time, its people you know who do such a thing. I guess if a family member or friend went ape **** and had their mind set on harming us, then they are going to at some point whether its in my home or at theirs etc etc etc. It dosent have to be at night while Im sleeping.

    If were talking a random stranger.... that **** is so rare that I cant concern myself with it. Thats just bad luck. Who storms into peoples home with motives to do harm like that? Strangers. The Night Stalker Richard Ramirez? Yea, that **** happens sometimes. There are evil scumbags like him. I dont think anything like that has ever happened in this town though. Anyone who has been killed in a home invasion Im pretty sure its been people they know. Most of the time that stuff happens its because people associate with bad people or are involved in illegal activities themselves. Im in the clear there.

    Im just not scared. I guess you think we all should be, but Im sorry Im just not. I cant worry about Ted Bundy visiting my home. He wasnt interested in men anyway. Most deranged serial killers like that have a type. I cant think of another home invader who killed random families like that other than Richard Ramirez. Im sure there are others. Again, Im just not worried about it though.

    So if someone wants to come in with a gun and steal my stuff.... be my guest. I will survive. Im not going to introduce a gun into the situation. All that does is up the ante. The intruder then fears for his life and is much more likely to fire his weapon. I dont want anyone firing a gun in my home. Take my stuff. I will get new stuff. I only have one life though. I only have one wife and two kids. They arent replaceable.

    Now, if you dont have a gun and you enter my home with bad intentions....... you just ****ed up. You may want to rush quick before I rise up out of my bed. I am a light sleeper. Its going to help if you know the layout of my home and can get to me before I realize whats happening. Because if I get up before you bash me over the head with some blunt object, its going to be a rough evening for you. I know the layout of my home and can get around very easily in the dark. I know where all types of weapons are and how to get to them. I have a couple of things close by my bed I could easily defend myself with against whatever it is you have that isnt a gun.

    Basically, Im going to be just fine. I dont need a gun. I want nothing to do with them. You gun nuts can shoot yourselves all you want. Just leave me out of it. Im not frieghtened by the almost non existant possibility of a home invader entering my house with a gun. There is probably a better chance I get shot in some public place that is supposed to be safe and peaceful just because you gun nuts wont put your weapons away.
    Great post, man. Great post. Perfectly said...
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. 50 caliber sniper rifle ricochet
    By TrueDolFan in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM
  2. Wii Rifle
    By Motion in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 03:33 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 12:48 AM
  4. There's no reason for a civilian to own a .50 cal rifle.
    By PhinPhan1227 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:52 AM
  5. What kind of DUMBASS brings an assault rifle to a game?
    By Jaydog57 in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-01-2001, 04:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •