Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

[youtube]0R3uLTnzs60[/youtube]

This guy makes the best argument I've seen. I'm calling it a "defense" rifle from now on.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great video... millions of these things are owned by responsible, law-biding citizens who only want to use them for defense.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great shirt that he's wearing.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    His entire argument is based on the incorrect notion that he is going to end up in a gun fight with someone carrying an AR-15. Unless he is Scarface and the home invasion is meant to take his gigantic pile of cocaine, I don't see why he thinks anyone is going to show up with any sort of assault rifle at his home. If he is in a gun fight, the other people are going to have handguns. I'd bet that's true 999 out of 1,000 times...
    Yes, assault rifle violence is very rare and only accounts for a small percentage of the gun-related violence in this country. He does make the point that if someone is going to come after him or his family with a handgun, he would like to be able to have the upper hand in that encounter.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I find myself agreeing with the liberals on pretty much every issue of late but not this one.

People are over-reacting to a tragic incident... something that this country has done before with disastrous results. The patriot act and internment of japanese-americans comes to mind as the two most prominent examples of this.

If we are going to have a discussion about gun rights in this country, it needs to occur when people have had a chance to cope with their emotions.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Plus
    in order to defend yourself with a weapon you have to have that weapon ready to go before you are actually threatened by another weapon. If a home invasion occurs and someone has already pointed a gun at you (single revolver or bazooka) you will not be able to draw your gun or bazooka. So it really doesnt matter what kind of weapon you have.

And if you need to defend yourself you either threaten the other person first or shoot first. In that moment it really does not matter what type of gun the defending party has or the intruder.

The only scenario in which you need to have an assault rifle for self defense is in a wild shoot out but I doubt that these people coming into your house with AR-15s (or whatever) are concerned about stealing your silver ware anyways. You have much bigger problems or issues.

This "I have a right to defend myself against tyranny" may have been valid some 200 years ago when the choice of weapons was on an even footing with a possible tyranny government but today....
    What are you going to do with an AR-15 against today's modern weaponry any tyrant would have access too?

Or how do criminals get illegal access to AR-15s and the like? By stealing it from owners or places who sell them. Just as anybody can buy them because these weapons are accessible any criminal can steal them from places who has them. So in essence the legal owners of SR-15s and the likes and the shops who sell them legally are largely responsible in the first place for any criminal to have this type of weapon.

In my opinion the only reason to have this type of weapon is to artificially inflate an already weak ego and/or to hide the lack of shooting ability.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ive followed this guy for aminute.....he's usually spot on. This is no exception. Best post on the topic yet

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It would be around a 2% or 3% chance. It doesn't have to be an "assault" rifle. What if it's 2 or 3 guys all packing 9mm handguns. An AR-15 would greatly increase your chances of successfully defending your home against multiple enemies with guns. Home invasions happen everyday in this country and have been on the rise. Having the best defense rifle to defend against such a scenario would be the best choice and it happens to be our right too.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Plus
    in order to defend yourself with a weapon you have to have that weapon ready to go before you are actually threatened by another weapon. If a home invasion occurs and someone has already pointed a gun at you (single revolver or bazooka) you will not be able to draw your gun or bazooka. So it really doesnt matter what kind of weapon you have.

And if you need to defend yourself you either threaten the other person first or shoot first. In that moment it really does not matter what type of gun the defending party has or the intruder.

The only scenario in which you need to have an assault rifle for self defense is in a wild shoot out but I doubt that these people coming into your house with AR-15s (or whatever) are concerned about stealing your silver ware anyways. You have much bigger problems or issues.

This "I have a right to defend myself against tyranny" may have been valid some 200 years ago when the choice of weapons was on an even footing with a possible tyranny government but today....
    What are you going to do with an AR-15 against today's modern weaponry any tyrant would have access too?

Or how do criminals get illegal access to AR-15s and the like? By stealing it from owners or places who sell them. Just as anybody can buy them because these weapons are accessible any criminal can steal them from places who has them. So in essence the legal owners of SR-15s and the likes and the shops who sell them legally are largely responsible in the first place for any criminal to have this type of weapon.

In my opinion the only reason to have this type of weapon is to artificially inflate an already weak ego and/or to hide the lack of shooting ability.

So since I don't have a chance to get my gun then I shouldn't have one???

Is that really your arguement??

Ever heard of a dog?? Best thing for home defense along with an AR-15. It's about having the best weapon available to defend your home against intruders. Home invasions happen everyday in this country. Why can't I have the best option available to defend myself??
    Quote Quote