Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 102

Thread: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

  1. -81
    LANGER72's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2006
    Posts:
    7,946
    vCash:
    21176
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    [youtube]0R3uLTnzs60[/youtube]

    This guy makes the best argument I've seen. I'm calling it a "defense" rifle from now on.

    No one needs a full auto rifle. But I see no problem with any type of sport or hunting rifles with extra large magazines, or any type of hand gun as long as the owner has been trained and licensed to carry it. Hand guns only transported to target ranges should be allowed as well to the unlicensed.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -82
    mmitro55's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2008
    Posts:
    250
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can you read?


    Quote Originally Posted by TheMageGandalf View Post
    No of course not, its only the precursor, if you can even call it that, to the M16 that's all. <sigh>

    "The US AF M16 was no more than an AR-15 rifle with appropriate markings. The XM16E1 differed from AR-15/M16 by having an additional device, the so called "forward assist", which was used to manually push the bolt group in place in the case of jams."

    http://world.guns.ru/assault/usa/m16...2-m16a3-e.html
    Quote Quote  

  3. -83
    Valandui's Avatar
    The Fluke

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    9,475
    vCash:
    11104
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Valandui's Weekly Music Video

    Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

  4. -84
    Abhenne7's Avatar
    Dolphins4lyfe

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2010
    Posts:
    915
    vCash:
    2583
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

  5. -85
    Finsfan1984's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    765
    vCash:
    2670
    Loc:
    Hattiesburg MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As I type this I notice my sliding glass door on the back porch is unlocked. I tell you what. Im about to go to sleep in a bit. I will leave it unlocked. This is not uncommon for me. I dont think the front door is locked either. I never check to be honest. I own no gun. Anyone who dares to enter...... go for it. Now, if you have a gun, Im screwed. I basically will let you take what you wish. Im not a poor. I can easily replace most items. Now, if you have come to harm my family, youre going to have to shoot me. If you dont, Im coming right for you and your gun at some point. So be prepared to fire it.

    Thing is, I dont think anyone wishes to harm me or my family. At least not anyone I know of. Most of the time, its people you know who do such a thing. I guess if a family member or friend went ape **** and had their mind set on harming us, then they are going to at some point whether its in my home or at theirs etc etc etc. It dosent have to be at night while Im sleeping.

    If were talking a random stranger.... that **** is so rare that I cant concern myself with it. Thats just bad luck. Who storms into peoples home with motives to do harm like that? Strangers. The Night Stalker Richard Ramirez? Yea, that **** happens sometimes. There are evil scumbags like him. I dont think anything like that has ever happened in this town though. Anyone who has been killed in a home invasion Im pretty sure its been people they know. Most of the time that stuff happens its because people associate with bad people or are involved in illegal activities themselves. Im in the clear there.

    Im just not scared. I guess you think we all should be, but Im sorry Im just not. I cant worry about Ted Bundy visiting my home. He wasnt interested in men anyway. Most deranged serial killers like that have a type. I cant think of another home invader who killed random families like that other than Richard Ramirez. Im sure there are others. Again, Im just not worried about it though.

    So if someone wants to come in with a gun and steal my stuff.... be my guest. I will survive. Im not going to introduce a gun into the situation. All that does is up the ante. The intruder then fears for his life and is much more likely to fire his weapon. I dont want anyone firing a gun in my home. Take my stuff. I will get new stuff. I only have one life though. I only have one wife and two kids. They arent replaceable.

    Now, if you dont have a gun and you enter my home with bad intentions....... you just ****ed up. You may want to rush quick before I rise up out of my bed. I am a light sleeper. Its going to help if you know the layout of my home and can get to me before I realize whats happening. Because if I get up before you bash me over the head with some blunt object, its going to be a rough evening for you. I know the layout of my home and can get around very easily in the dark. I know where all types of weapons are and how to get to them. I have a couple of things close by my bed I could easily defend myself with against whatever it is you have that isnt a gun.

    Basically, Im going to be just fine. I dont need a gun. I want nothing to do with them. You gun nuts can shoot yourselves all you want. Just leave me out of it. Im not frieghtened by the almost non existant possibility of a home invader entering my house with a gun. There is probably a better chance I get shot in some public place that is supposed to be safe and peaceful just because you gun nuts wont put your weapons away.


    Im sorry, but what an idiotic post. You have the overwhelming confidence in yourself that you can defend yourself and your family without ANY type of weaponry? who are you, Chuck mo-fo Norris? I mean reallly dude?? I have been in law enforcement for 15 years. I also served in the military for over 20+ years. Very well versed in hand ot hand combatives as well as advanced weaponry from handguns up to and including long distance sniper competitions world-wide! And I will be the first person to say that I am NOT overconfident in defending my home and family without at the very least having the opportunity to have a bit of an advantage in my weaponry! You live in a dream world my friend. And to think, as you said yourself, "they can just have your stuff and you will get more stuff." Thats fantasy! Who are you to dictate what they take and how they take it, if and when they decide to harm your family, and who they decide to do whatever they want to in YOUR home!! Its people like you, in your fantasy world that actually makes it EASY for the "BAD PEOPLE" of this world to do as they wish! As for me and my house, we will do whatever it takes to FEEL safe and BE safe! If that day never arises, great, but if it does one day, well...at least I can say I did my best to defend what was rightfully and GOD given to me and mine. For petesake, wake up man!!!
    Quote Quote  

  6. -86
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,671
    vCash:
    3382
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Finsfan1984 View Post
    Im sorry, but what an idiotic post. You have the overwhelming confidence in yourself that you can defend yourself and your family without ANY type of weaponry? who are you, Chuck mo-fo Norris? I mean reallly dude?? I have been in law enforcement for 15 years. I also served in the military for over 20+ years. Very well versed in hand ot hand combatives as well as advanced weaponry from handguns up to and including long distance sniper competitions world-wide! And I will be the first person to say that I am NOT overconfident in defending my home and family without at the very least having the opportunity to have a bit of an advantage in my weaponry! You live in a dream world my friend. And to think, as you said yourself, "they can just have your stuff and you will get more stuff." Thats fantasy! Who are you to dictate what they take and how they take it, if and when they decide to harm your family, and who they decide to do whatever they want to in YOUR home!! Its people like you, in your fantasy world that actually makes it EASY for the "BAD PEOPLE" of this world to do as they wish! As for me and my house, we will do whatever it takes to FEEL safe and BE safe! If that day never arises, great, but if it does one day, well...at least I can say I did my best to defend what was rightfully and GOD given to me and mine. For petesake, wake up man!!!
    So he needs to wake up because he realizes the statistics say the chances of him having a home invasion are too small to worry about owning a gun? And because he isn't paranoid to the point of thinking a cartel of rapists are poised to invade his home at any point in team, he is the reason bad people have it easy? I appreciate your service to the country, and have nothing but respect for any officer of the law, but I think you're the one who is out of line here. Your view on the world is shaped by your job, so since you have dealt with the worst society has to offer for most of your life, you're incorrectly assuming everyone has as well. The fact is, you see a disproportionately high amount of this stuff because it's your job to...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  7. -87
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1224
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    So he needs to wake up because he realizes the statistics say the chances of him having a home invasion are too small to worry about owning a gun? And because he isn't paranoid to the point of thinking a cartel of rapists are poised to invade his home at any point in team, he is the reason bad people have it easy? I appreciate your service to the country, and have nothing but respect for any officer of the law, but I think you're the one who is out of line here. Your view on the world is shaped by your job, so since you have dealt with the worst society has to offer for most of your life, you're incorrectly assuming everyone has as well. The fact is, you see a disproportionately high amount of this stuff because it's your job to...
    You want to talk about an anomaly? Lets talk about mass shootings or mass shootings carried out with so-called assault weapons.

    It happens so infrequently and yet the constant media coverage has kids and parents frightened that tomorrow someone is going to go on a rampage in their elementary school.

    Youre a smart guy, you surely understand statistics, do you think that mass shootings are a big enough problem to justify strict gun laws? In a nation of 350 million, how many people have died from these?

    I don't mean to put words in your mouth and haven't seen you directly come out on either side of the issue but your tone makes me think that perhaps you're on the other side of this issue.

    You know me, Im all about numbers and science. That is the reason I am liberal on 90% of issues- as Colbert said, "reality has a well-known liberal bias." The numbers are clear on this issue, however. Assault weapons and high capacity magazines are not enough of an issue to warrant banning them.

    Any real attempt to curb crime needs to focus on the inner city and poor neighborhoods, not on the spoiled rich kids like me who own AR-15s to have fun at the gun range on Saturday.

    At the end of the day though, the real reason I am against this ban is because I believe that the government should fear the people. All BS aside, anyone who has studied history and the writings of the founding fathers knows that the intent behind the second amendment was not to protect the right to hunt or to defend from foreign invasion, it was to guarantee the people the ability to rebel against tyranny. If you take away these sport rifles, you're severely hurting our ability to do so. If this was going to save thousands of innocent lives then maybe I would agree but even the most grim statistics can't support that.

    We all need to take a step back and assess what the real menaces to this country are instead of picking an easy target.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

  8. -88
    Finsfan1984's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    765
    vCash:
    2670
    Loc:
    Hattiesburg MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    So he needs to wake up because he realizes the statistics say the chances of him having a home invasion are too small to worry about owning a gun? And because he isn't paranoid to the point of thinking a cartel of rapists are poised to invade his home at any point in team, he is the reason bad people have it easy? I appreciate your service to the country, and have nothing but respect for any officer of the law, but I think you're the one who is out of line here. Your view on the world is shaped by your job, so since you have dealt with the worst society has to offer for most of your life, you're incorrectly assuming everyone has as well. The fact is, you see a disproportionately high amount of this stuff because it's your job to...
    I view protecting myself and family in this way much the same as purchasing insurance. Based on your logic here, it would be foolish to purchase home insurance, life insurance, car insurance, because STATISTICS say you wont need it or use it, and only those who are paranoid will try and protect themselves with said insurance! No, I am not paranoid, im a realist, and i think/view protecting myself/my family in that way much in the same as i do by purchasing an insurance plan for all the above i mentioned. You may never need or use it, but in the event you do, at least you have prepared yourself to do so. It is only paranoia when you dont realize the dangers that are present just as any other insurance policy. Yes you are right to a point that my view of the world is shaped by what i have done professionally. I have seen the best and the worst of our society, so i am not biast or blinded by the world in which i live. I live in reality my friend, plain and simple. I do not think all or most people are bad or have bad intentions, however i do realize that at any moment someone i run across may have bad intentions against me, thats just fact. I also realize that eventhough i am prepared, that someday someone may still have the upper hand at any given moment against me, and i may get caught with my guard down and fall victim to them, but at least i TRY to be prepared. To say that i am PREPARED is not to say that I am PARANOID. I dont sit around worried, scared or whatever else you may call it, worrying about whatifs. I prepare, try to stay prepared in that way, just as i do in all facits of my everyday life, financially, etc. Its simply another realm that i try to do my best for me and my family.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -89
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,671
    vCash:
    3382
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Finsfan1984 View Post
    I view protecting myself and family in this way much the same as purchasing insurance. Based on your logic here, it would be foolish to purchase home insurance, life insurance, car insurance, because STATISTICS say you wont need it or use it, and only those who are paranoid will try and protect themselves with said insurance! No, I am not paranoid, im a realist, and i think/view protecting myself/my family in that way much in the same as i do by purchasing an insurance plan for all the above i mentioned. You may never need or use it, but in the event you do, at least you have prepared yourself to do so. It is only paranoia when you dont realize the dangers that are present just as any other insurance policy. Yes you are right to a point that my view of the world is shaped by what i have done professionally. I have seen the best and the worst of our society, so i am not biast or blinded by the world in which i live. I live in reality my friend, plain and simple. I do not think all or most people are bad or have bad intentions, however i do realize that at any moment someone i run across may have bad intentions against me, thats just fact. I also realize that eventhough i am prepared, that someday someone may still have the upper hand at any given moment against me, and i may get caught with my guard down and fall victim to them, but at least i TRY to be prepared. To say that i am PREPARED is not to say that I am PARANOID. I dont sit around worried, scared or whatever else you may call it, worrying about whatifs. I prepare, try to stay prepared in that way, just as i do in all facits of my everyday life, financially, etc. Its simply another realm that i try to do my best for me and my family.
    I have no issues with you owning guns or anything of the sort. That's your right to do so, granted by the 2nd amendment. In fact, as former military and current law enforcement, I'm relieved to know someone with your background and training is armed, as I'm sure your neighbors feel the same way. My issue was you blasting WV and acting like he is part of the problem because he doesn't own them...
    Quote Quote  

  10. -90
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,671
    vCash:
    3382
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    You want to talk about an anomaly? Lets talk about mass shootings or mass shootings carried out with so-called assault weapons.

    It happens so infrequently and yet the constant media coverage has kids and parents frightened that tomorrow someone is going to go on a rampage in their elementary school.

    Youre a smart guy, you surely understand statistics, do you think that mass shootings are a big enough problem to justify strict gun laws? In a nation of 350 million, how many people have died from these?

    I don't mean to put words in your mouth and haven't seen you directly come out on either side of the issue but your tone makes me think that perhaps you're on the other side of this issue.

    You know me, Im all about numbers and science. That is the reason I am liberal on 90% of issues- as Colbert said, "reality has a well-known liberal bias." The numbers are clear on this issue, however. Assault weapons and high capacity magazines are not enough of an issue to warrant banning them.

    Any real attempt to curb crime needs to focus on the inner city and poor neighborhoods, not on the spoiled rich kids like me who own AR-15s to have fun at the gun range on Saturday.

    At the end of the day though, the real reason I am against this ban is because I believe that the government should fear the people. All BS aside, anyone who has studied history and the writings of the founding fathers knows that the intent behind the second amendment was not to protect the right to hunt or to defend from foreign invasion, it was to guarantee the people the ability to rebel against tyranny. If you take away these sport rifles, you're severely hurting our ability to do so. If this was going to save thousands of innocent lives then maybe I would agree but even the most grim statistics can't support that.

    We all need to take a step back and assess what the real menaces to this country are instead of picking an easy target.
    I'm definitely against civilians owning guns designed for the sole purpose of killing as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. There is no reason for you or I to own high-capacity clips or weapons capable of emptying those clips in a couple seconds. If someone could give me a logical, rational reason for it, I could be swayed, but I've yet to see it. Actually, your last paragraph is the closest I've read to a reason I could get on board with, but I'm still not all in.

    You're right in saying the numbers don't support an assault weapons ban. But the fact of the matter is something has to change. The NRA refuses to let there be any changes in the way guns are purchased, so what other choice do lawmakers have? The reasonable course of action, registering guns and thorough background checks, is being blocked. That leaves only things like assault weapons bans. If someone in the NRA would slap the **** out of the leadership there and get them back to what the NRA originally was, I think we could make some progress that everyone would be on board with. But since that's not going to happen, lawmakers are stuck with drastic measures...
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. 50 caliber sniper rifle ricochet
    By TrueDolFan in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM
  2. Wii Rifle
    By Motion in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 03:33 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 12:48 AM
  4. There's no reason for a civilian to own a .50 cal rifle.
    By PhinPhan1227 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:52 AM
  5. What kind of DUMBASS brings an assault rifle to a game?
    By Jaydog57 in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-01-2001, 04:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •