Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

1. -71
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The majority of gun violence is linked to the stupid War On Drugs. Changing drug laws in this country would do far more in reducing gun violence and crimes than any of the insane ideas coming out of Washington and the anti-2nd amendment crowd.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 12-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    The majority of gun violence is linked to the stupid War On Drugs.
    I'm not sure that drug users and dealers have violent disagreements because drugs are illegal. On Washington, for example, it is legal to possess and smoke small amounts of marijuana but it is not legal for anyone to sell it for casual use, and it won't be legal for anyone to grow their own. Once legal dispensaries are set up and approved there will likely still dealers selling illegal marijuana for less than the price the government sets.

I don't believe that the people who commit crime to fund their drug habit do so because drugs are illegal. Poor users are still going to need to fund their habits/addictions even when/if drugs are legal.
    ďIím somewhat disappointed that more African Americans donít think for themselves and just go with whatever theyíre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    I'm not sure that drug users and dealers have violent disagreements because drugs are illegal. On Washington, for example, it is legal to possess and smoke small amounts of marijuana but it is not legal for anyone to sell it for casual use, and it won't be legal for anyone to grow their own. Once legal dispensaries are set up and approved there will likely still dealers selling illegal marijuana for less than the price the government sets.

I don't believe that the people who commit crime to fund their drug habit do so because drugs are illegal. Poor users are still going to need to fund their habits/addictions even when/if drugs are legal.
    It's not really the poor users who are the one's committing the violent offenses to fund their habits. I'm sure that happens every now & again, but mainly prohibition related drug violence is occurring between either rival drug gangs, drug gangs & authorities, or maybe even perhaps drug gangs & impoverished communities; most probably a bit of all the above.

"Violence is amongst the primary concerns of communities around the world and research has demonstrated links between violence and the illicit drug trade, particularly in urban settings. Given the growing emphasis on evidence-based policy-making, and the ongoing severe drug market violence in Mexico and other settings, we conducted a systematic review to examine the impacts of drug law enforcement on drug market violence. We conducted a systematic review using Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta Analyses (PRISMA) guidelines. Specifically, we undertook a search of English language electronic databases (Academic Search Complete, PubMed, PsycINFO, EMBASE, Web of Science, Sociological Abstracts, Social Service Abstracts, PAIS International and Lexis-Nexis), the Internet (Google, Google Scholar), and article reference lists, from database inception to January 24, 2011. Overall, 15 studies were identified that evaluated the impact of drug law enforcement on drug market violence, including 11 (73%) longitudinal analyses using linear regression, 2 (13%) mathematical drug market models, and 2 (13%) qualitative studies. Fourteen (93%) studies reported an adverse impact of drug law enforcement on levels of violence. Ten of the 11 (91%) studies employing longitudinal qualitative analyses found a significant association between drug law enforcement and drug market violence. Our findings suggest that increasing drug law enforcement is unlikely to reduce drug market violence. Instead, the existing evidence base suggests that gun violence and high homicide rates may be an inevitable consequence of drug prohibition and that disrupting drug markets can paradoxically increase violence. In this context, and since drug prohibition has not meaningfully reduced drug supply, alternative regulatory models will be required if drug supply and drug market violence are to be meaningfully reduced".

http://www.ihra.net/files/2011/03/25...March_2011.pdf

Prohibition is almost always a ****ty idea. Anyone who's anti gun-control & at the same time is pro drug-war is either a hypocrite, or frankly just not very bright.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Greater Than

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post

It's a no-brainer that many gun crimes and murders are linked to the illegal drug trade. Very much like prohibition back in the day. Do you ever watch that tv show "48 hours"???? It's a real life homicide detective show that documents murders throughout the country. The majority of murders are all related to the War On Drugs. You want to stop a big portion of murders with guns??? Change the drug laws in this country. And just like ending prohibition you will dramatically reduce gun crimes and violence throughout the country. And maybe even in Mexico too.
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

I don't NEED one. I WANTED one. And I have a blast shooting at targets with it.

Fortunately, I live in a country where I can own one. It's sitting in a locked gun safe with a trigger lock on it. Gun safety includes keeping others from getting their hands on yours.

My rifle is extremely unlikely to be used in a crime. But no law, not even a complete ban, will prevent criminals from getting their hands on one like it.

Banning assault rifles, whatever that means, may be a feel-good measure, but it will not have the desired effect of preventing their use in crimes. That use, by the way, is in only one to two percent of violent crimes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Without reading all the posts to see if someone said this or not, but an AR is not an assault rifle.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It might help if the US Government wasn't running illegal guns and drugs. Just a thought but what do I know.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmitro55 View Post
    Without reading all the posts to see if someone said this or not, but an AR is not an assault rifle.
    No of course not, its only the precursor, if you can even call it that, to the M16 that's all. <sigh>

"The US AF M16 was no more than an AR-15 rifle with appropriate markings. The XM16E1 differed from AR-15/M16 by having an additional device, the so called "forward assist", which was used to manually push the bolt group in place in the case of jams."

http://world.guns.ru/assault/usa/m16...2-m16a3-e.html
    Quote Quote