Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Why did the Dolphins not address the WR position THIS season?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeff Ireland didn't think it was necessary.

    27 17.09%
  • The Phins tried but trade(s) fell through.

    24 15.19%
  • Philbin did not want additional receivers based on the options available.

    20 12.66%
  • The salary cap prevented the Phins from doing it.

    5 3.16%
  • Jeff Ireland did think it was necessary but there were no suitable options.

    57 36.08%
  • Other

    25 15.82%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 92

Thread: What do you BELIEVE is the reason for not addressing the WR position this season?

  1. -51
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2011
    Posts:
    272
    vCash:
    1907
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If someone can explain this one to me let me know.

    Another big reason though we did not have enough turnovers + on our side by our defense.

    -ucfpf13
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    933
    vCash:
    2703
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    HMM Egnew has done nothing this year so I would take Mihammed Sanu and his 16 receptions anyday which is way more than our third wr. Ty Hilton of course. Chris Givens and his 37 receptions and 3 tds. Even Travis Benjamin and his 11 rec and 2 tds.
    Notice i didn't mention Egnew, I'd take hilton over Egnew anyday but hingsight is 20\20 coming into the draft hilton was an undersized one trick pony, and Egnew was a big fast TE that filled a need, so at the time i understood the pick, however Ireland got it wrong, every GM wishes they had a pick or two that they could do over. The question though is, would you take those WR's you named over Tannehill, Martin, Miller or Vernon? I wouldn't,
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjizzim View Post
    You're sounding like a typical misguided fan, The colts will make the playoffs, but will probably lose in the first round maybe second if they get lucky, by the time they are good enough to contend for a super bowl or conference championship, wayne will be long gone buddy. I want my team to contend for Championships and signing wayne would not have put us there. I remember those days under wandstat when we would go 11-5, 10-6 every year and get knocked out of the playoffs in the first or second round. I want to be better than that and contend for titles on a consistent basis, ie patriots, steelers and packers and the only way to do that is to build your team via the draft and\or by signing YOUNG STUD FA, and supplementing with older FA.
    I think its more delusional to think that adding a receiver to make your young qb more confident and to help to develop him would be a bad thing. Wayne only signed a three year contract that does nothing to hamper their salary cap and his value to his young rookie qb is much more than any scrub fa we signed this off season. Regardless we still used the money, I mean we could have had a meanigful pro bowl player to help develop our qb or a scrub cb that before getting hurt was part of a unit giving up about 300 yards a game passing. I agree u build through draft and thats why we should have drafted a damn wr last year before we drafted a third rb and a 4th te. Ireland proves over and over again that he doesnt get it.
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    933
    vCash:
    2703
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Marshall has been a starter with Carolina for years and he was not a good starter. Marshall is a scrub based on his career in nfl. Yea u are right better to spend that money on scrub younger players than give your young qb a reliable target I mean he only needs 66 yards from his wr;s like he got this week. Indy is in playoffs much because of Wayne's play while we are watching once again with people that are not ready to play meaningful minutes in the NFL like Matthews and Moore but to each their own
    And what do you consider a scrub? He was a starter in Carolina, and Arizona and he was our Best CB when he was playing. Being able to start at 3 different locations tell me he has some talent, not a scrub at all. I looked at his career stats and he has 18 career interceptions and 60 passes defended in 8 years. Soo not a scrub. May not be Deon Sanders but not a scrub.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjizzim View Post
    Notice i didn't mention Egnew, I'd take hilton over Egnew anyday but hingsight is 20\20 coming into the draft hilton was an undersized one trick pony, and Egnew was a big fast TE that filled a need, so at the time i understood the pick, however Ireland got it wrong, every GM wishes they had a pick or two that they could do over. The question though is, would you take those WR's you named over Tannehill, Martin, Miller or Vernon? I wouldn't,
    I would take Givens any day over Miller or vernon because our lack of depth is among the worst in the nfl at wr.
    vernon and Miller are solid looking picks but you cant trot out marlon Moore as a starting wr or even a top backup.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    933
    vCash:
    2703
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    I think its more delusional to think that adding a receiver to make your young qb more confident and to help to develop him would be a bad thing. Wayne only signed a three year contract that does nothing to hamper their salary cap and his value to his young rookie qb is much more than any scrub fa we signed this off season. Regardless we still used the money, I mean we could have had a meanigful pro bowl player to help develop our qb or a scrub cb that before getting hurt was part of a unit giving up about 300 yards a game passing. I agree u build through draft and thats why we should have drafted a damn wr last year before we drafted a third rb and a 4th te. Ireland proves over and over again that he doesnt get it.
    If my QB needs other players to make him more Confident, then I'd question his suitability for the position. I want my QB oozing confidence not needing someone else to help him with it but thats just me. I'm not arguing that Wayne would have helped and I'd venture to say that we might have even made the playoffs if he was here, BUT thats shortsighted I don't want to just make the playoffs I want to win titles and the bottom line is adding Wayne wouldnt have helped us do that. Now if you think that adding wayne would have made us title contenders then we can debate that but if you're saying we should have added him for any other reason then we'll just have to disagree on that.

    Can you answer my question, outside of Hilton, which rookie WR would you take over Tannehill, Martin, Vernon and Miller?
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjizzim View Post
    And what do you consider a scrub? He was a starter in Carolina, and Arizona and he was our Best CB when he was playing. Being able to start at 3 different locations tell me he has some talent, not a scrub at all. I looked at his career stats and he has 18 career interceptions and 60 passes defended in 8 years. Soo not a scrub. May not be Deon Sanders but not a scrub.
    Well Was among the worst ranked corners as a starter throughout his career. was so awesome that Carolina did not resign him and Az signed him very cheap. As a safety I think he could be a good player but he is not a good corner, he is below average. He also was not our best corner, it was Smith by far at that point. He became the starter by injury in Az and there are plenty of scrubs that have started for three different teams.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjizzim View Post
    If my QB needs other players to make him more Confident, then I'd question his suitability for the position. I want my QB oozing confidence not needing someone else to help him with it but thats just me. I'm not arguing that Wayne would have helped and I'd venture to say that we might have even made the playoffs if he was here, BUT thats shortsighted I don't want to just make the playoffs I want to win titles and the bottom line is adding Wayne wouldnt have helped us do that. Now if you think that adding wayne would have made us title contenders then we can debate that but if you're saying we should have added him for any other reason then we'll just have to disagree on that.

    Can you answer my question, outside of Hilton, which rookie WR would you take over Tannehill, Martin, Vernon and Miller?
    All young qb's need surehanded receivers that make plays to increase their confidence. Playing sports is all about confidence. having guys that cannot get open and drop passes or cant make a play on their own does not make a qb better.

    Chris Givens I would take over Vernon, Miller or Egnew. I would definately think about Reuben Randle over Martin but I have always been fine with the martin pick.
    Randle doesnt have great stats but he plays on a team that may have the best wr's in the league
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    933
    vCash:
    2703
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    I would take Givens any day over Miller or vernon because our lack of depth is among the worst in the nfl at wr.
    vernon and Miller are solid looking picks but you cant trot out marlon Moore as a starting wr or even a top backup.
    Man at this point I can care less about our backups WR's we need STARTING WR's like ireland said and i agree wholeheartedly we have a bunch of 3's 4's and 5's and no 1's none of those WR picked in last year's draft are #1's right now. And miller looks to be a stud Martin IS as a stud and Vernon looks like another Wake in the making. Give me those guys over any Rookie WR not named TY, add these 4 players along with our many draft picks and the number of quality WR;s coming out in the draft this year and I think we're set to make a significant push in the next year or two. If we bring in a young veteran #1 receiver like Wallace, Bowe, or the guy from GB draft a couple of WR in the 1st 3 rounds and we're on our way. Good Job Ireland. Assuming he drafts at least 2 WR and brings in a VET. If not, then' I'm right there with you in saying he's f@@@@king up.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjizzim View Post
    Man at this point I can care less about our backups WR's we need STARTING WR's like ireland said and i agree wholeheartedly we have a bunch of 3's 4's and 5's and no 1's none of those WR picked in last year's draft are #1's right now. And miller looks to be a stud Martin IS as a stud and Vernon looks like another Wake in the making. Give me those guys over any Rookie WR not named TY, add these 4 players along with our many draft picks and the number of quality WR;s coming out in the draft this year and I think we're set to make a significant push in the next year or two. If we bring in a young veteran #1 receiver like Wallace, Bowe, or the guy from GB draft a couple of WR in the 1st 3 rounds and we're on our way. Good Job Ireland. Assuming he drafts at least 2 WR and brings in a VET. If not, then' I'm right there with you in saying he's f@@@@king up.
    You do realize that a team needs a third wr its basically a starter to some degree. We dont even have guys worthy of being a 3 or 4 wr on our bench. Rewatch this weeks game and tell me how we didnt need a wr in this draft. Our receivers gained 66 total yards versus the friggin Bills. Hmm maybe we win one of those close games because our qb actually has a damn receiver.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. on Miami addressing the TE position
    By mmikel30 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  2. Possible reason why Bess' position might be challenged.
    By Fintastic17 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 03:54 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM
  4. Addressing the QB position next year
    By Shamboubou in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •