Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: "Iíve got picks and money"

1. -131
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I completely agree with this but why don't we get a guy that compliments Philbin and can be be good in his own right instead of a guy that Philbin has to offset.
    If we bring in another GM he's going to have his own philosophy, and probably will want his own guy as a HC. The mistake was in not firing Ireland when Sparano was let go, but what's done is done. If Ireland and Philbin have a good rapport it could be more threatening to bust them up than it would be to ride with Ireland at GM with Philbin by his side. If our 2012 draft looked like a flop at this point, I'd be worried, but right now (I know it's early), it looks like Ireland best draft. To me, that's reason for a little optimism. And while his FA pickups this past off-season didn't stick, he had little $ to work with. The one guy he did spend $ on was hurt all year (Marshall). Looking at FA signings from years past is more fruitful. Bush, Starks, Dansby, and Burnett have all been excellent this year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -132
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    Ireland in a vacuum, by himself would scare the hell out of me with all the changes that will occur this offseason, but he's not operating in a vacuum. I just don't have faith in him alone. But I do have faith in Philbin, and his staff, and you're nuts if you don't think he (and his staff) don't have a huge say in the personnel decisions that will be made in the upcoming offseason. The 2012 draft looks, at this point, as if it was our most succussful in years. I think Philbin and co's fingerprints are all over it. Seeing that we have the picks we have, and the flexability in FA to remake this roster this year with players that better fit our new coaching staffs systems and mentality (they had 0 flexibility last offseason) I see no reason not to be optimistic this off-season. Yeah, Ireland could Jeff it up, but even he's more likely to hit on talent when you give him more picks just by the law of averages. And instead of having Sparano in the draft room with him, he has Philbin now. That alone should make you somewhat more comfortable with draft day.
    Perhaps you are right about Ireland being clueless to a degree, regardless I tend to sway more on board with keeping Ireland pretty much based on what you have pointed out that last years draft and college free agents were much more sucessful than in years past which means we are trending upwards for wahtever reasons. I do agree that the coaches have much more input on the draft and free agents than most fans want to give them credit which when you flip this whole situation around many of these draft picks that everyone is complaining about I also feel had Bill Parcells and Tony Sporano written all over them. Going back to that motto that Parcell's used to quote if you are going to be reponsible for cooking the dinner shouldn't you be responsible for purchasing the ingedients. Taking that theme I look as Ireland as the guy given the shopping list by the coach and it is up to him to purchase the items at the best price which I think he is decent at. The shopping list is the coaches Ireland is looking at the product so if Tony or Parcells only wants tall, large players then thats all Ireland is going to spend top dollars on but if Philbin wants smart, gym rat players that are in the Zach Thomas sort of mold then Ireland is going to have more to choose from. Anyway you cut it if you believe the new coach has input on Irelands picks you pretty darn well better believe that Parcells and Tony S had a lot more input on Irelands picks especailly seeing as he was hired by Parcells and was a rookie GM when he came on board.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I completely agree with this but why don't we get a guy that compliments Philbin and can be be good in his own right instead of a guy that Philbin has to offset.

How do you know your going to get a better canidate? We have had plenty of worse ones thatn Ireland so simply anyone than Ireland excuse does not wash either.
    Quote Quote  

3. -133
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post

How do you know your going to get a better canidate? We have had plenty of worse ones thatn Ireland so simply anyone than Ireland excuse does not wash either.
    That's the same argument people made for keeping Sparano.
    Quote Quote  

4. -134
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's the same argument people made for keeping Sparano.
    No its not. You are living by a one year time line. People may have wanted Sparano two years ago. One year ago it was time to go.

BTW, I was totally for getting Harbaugh, I just didnt see it happening. The dude was in SF for a reason.
    Quote Quote  

5. -135
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    No its not. You are living by a one year time line. People may have wanted Sparano two years ago. One year ago it was time to go.

BTW, I was totally for getting Harbaugh, I just didnt see it happening. The dude was in SF for a reason.
    yea it wasnt happening because our genius owner forgot to fire his coach and was trying to hire a guy with a guy still in place.
    yea im sure that shows how good your organization is
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

6. -136
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CalDolFan10x14 View Post
    But does it guarantee it? You'll be amazed what a pissed off owner can do to "motivate" a GM already on a hot seat. Especially an owner who's already losing money and patience from the fans. If Ireland doesn't get the hint this offseason that changes are needed and the team doesn't make the postseason, he's gone after next year...simple as that.

With all the tools at his disposal, Ireland has no excuse not to improve this team. I'm banking he'll work well with Philbin to bring in the players that'll make this team a more dynamic, competitive force next year. Again, if he doesn't....bye bye Ireland and I'll be the first to be glad to see him gone.
    and thats exactly where I stand. His contract is up at the end of this year. He may very well do great in this draft, but Philbin may want to go with "his guy" from GB or elsewhere.

I was supportive of Henne, up until his contract year came upon him. I said then that Henne was either going to make it happen or he will be gone. Same with Sparano. I supported him until I could see his mistake of calling bad time outs and misuse of the clock which basically cost us a game. There was something bigger that happened that I cant recall but it was enough to say, goodbye.

This article is really about finding the right coach and system and people to build on. Ireland was saved by Tannehill. This franchise wanted a QB more than anything. Well now we got one. We also got a RT/LT in the process. We do have a 3rd receiver IMO you just wont see him shine until next year. I hope Ireland gets Wallace in FA because I think that would largely solve our problem at WR resigning Hartline.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    yea it wasnt happening because our genius owner forgot to fire his coach and was trying to hire a guy with a guy still in place.
    yea im sure that shows how good your organization is
    ...and he must go too!

good luck with that.
    Quote Quote  

7. -137
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sparano should have been fired two years ago when most people realized he was mediocre at best but their argument was we could do worse than mediocre. Of course everybody was on board with firing him after the 0-7 start.
    Quote Quote  

8. -138
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    and thats exactly where I stand. His contract is up at the end of this year. He may very well do great in this draft, but Philbin may want to go with "his guy" from GB or elsewhere.

I was supportive of Henne, up until his contract year came upon him. I said then that Henne was either going to make it happen or he will be gone. Same with Sparano. I supported him until I could see his mistake of calling bad time outs and misuse of the clock which basically cost us a game. There was something bigger that happened that I cant recall but it was enough to say, goodbye.

This article is really about finding the right coach and system and people to build on. Ireland was saved by Tannehill. This franchise wanted a QB more than anything. Well now we got one. We also got a RT/LT in the process. We do have a 3rd receiver IMO you just wont see him shine until next year. I hope Ireland gets Wallace in FA because I think that would largely solve our problem at WR resigning Hartline.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

...and he must go too!

good luck with that.
    just because we cant fire a guy as an owner doesnt make him a good owner lol
    Quote Quote  

9. -139
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    just because we cant fire a guy as an owner doesnt make him a good owner lol
    what is a good owner?

I will answere that for you.

one who gets his HC for the future who in turn gets you your future QB. Thats what were banking on here. forget the past! We have our future now. it took a while, but its here. enjoy this offseason! Its a biggy!

I am not afraid of Ireland. He has not drafted one 1st round bust so far. jimmy johnson not so much. you may disagree with the entire draft or who he picked over another guy, but he has not crapped the bed. Pat White year was mostly that gambling overpaid blowhards doing.
    Quote Quote  

10. -140
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what is a good owner?

I will answere that for you.

one who gets his HC for the future who in turn gets you your future QB. Thats what were banking on here. forget the past! We have our future now. it took a while, but its here. enjoy this offseason! Its a biggy!

I am not afraid of Ireland. He has not drafted one 1st round bust so far. jimmy johnson not so much. you may disagree with the entire draft or who he picked over another guy, but he has not crapped the bed. Pat White year was mostly that gambling overpaid blowhards doing.

Well thats because u choose to believe he had nothing to do with the Pat white pick which is conveinent at best.
    So Vontae Davis wasnt a bust, if not why did we trade him. So Vontae was actually good.
    How about his second round picks or his third .
    It would be easy to forget the past but the gm from that past is still here.
    who knows maybe he will get the job done but it doesnt change that he hasnt got the job done and has been the gm through the worst dolphin period since we initially started.
    Quote Quote