Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long’s time short

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Long’s time short

That means free agent Jake Long’s days with the team could be over. Frankly, even when Long was great he never won or lost a game. He didn’t run for yards or catch passes, and he didn’t stop anyone from doing it. Lots of teams with worse left tackles went to the playoffs while the Dolphins stayed home.But now that Long seems lessened, now that he’s got durability concerns, now that the Dolphins have replaced Long with rookie Jonathan Martin and gotten better at the position, Long’s future with the team seems grim.
    Martin, by the way, was terrible his first day as a rookie right tackle. The Dolphins were worried. Eventually, after working at it, Martin got good enough to start.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...#storylink=cpy
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...imination.html

In retrospect, How important was the Martin selection? Also and certainly not saying we are set at the O-line position but their has not been a major drop-off since Big-Jakes departure.

But Martin’s first day as a starting left tackle after Long got injured was something of an epiphany for the team. He had a C-plus day with no practice at the position. And now, four weeks later, he’s a consistent B-plus player. Add his potential for improvement, his low price and Long’s high price tag and the signs point to Long going elsewhere in the offseason.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...#storylink=cpy
    Personally I don't want Jake back
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterboy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've seen no dropoff, in fact I think Martin has improved the position. See ya Jake!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishfishin View Post
    I've seen no dropoff, in fact I think Martin has improved the position. See ya Jake!
    with the blocking scheme I defiantly agree...you can see he is a better fit for LT too...he looks better there than at RT where he was probably thinking too much...

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Long may go but the OL is far from being in good shape. Martin at LT and Pouncey at C are our only locks. Both guards need upgrades and drafting a RT will be a necessity if Martin moves permanently to LT.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarino110 View Post
    with the blocking scheme I defiantly agree...you can see he is a better fit for LT too...he looks better there than at RT where he was probably thinking too much...
    This^^ It's pretty clear Martin is more comfortable at LT.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL @ "Long's time short."

I see what they did there. That's pretty funny.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Just moved to Charlotte.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anybody who wants to get rid of Long has no clue about football, Unless he wants an outrageous amount of money getting rid of a top 10 LT is a mistake
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by TPD1479 View Post
    Anybody who wants to get rid of Long has no clue about football, Unless he wants an outrageous amount of money getting rid of a top 10 LT is a mistake
    First off he is not a top ten lt and hasn't been for years. He probably isn't even a top 15 he has been getting by on his name for half his career and that says something seeing how he has been in the league 5 years. Martin proves the zone blocking scheme doesn't need a cornfed log at LT look at yesterday Martin wasn't embarrassed by Buffalos pass rush like Wrong was guess you forgot Shawn Merriman bending him over and breaking him off and that is Merriman without the juice. Jake Wrong is on the fast train to become Tony Boesili Jr I called him that after the 2010 season and the uproar was priceless. Guy is broke he is done sure some other team will line up and throw a Brinks Truck full of money at him, but we don't need that mistake. Jake Wrong is the pinnacle of why we are once again rebuilding and the sooner this team washes its hands of him the sooner we get better!
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I don't mind if jake long walks, but there aren't 14 tackles better than him. thats a ****ing ridiculous statement IMO.

martin seems to have stepped up just fine, thus enabling the dolphins to tell jake long he can take a modest contract and possibly move positions or he can test free agency waters. either way, is fine with me.

but the way martin has played, I'm not moving him from left tackle regardless of whether we resign jake long or not.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I actually feel more comfortable with Martin at left tackle. I would let Long explore his options on the open market (like the Ravens do) and if he gets an offer that makes sense, and he wants to stay, then we re-sign him. I would prefer putting him at right tackle though (too slow for speed rushers)
    Quote Quote