Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 3

1. -1
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Far Cry 3

This game is sheer awesomeness. At the risk of taking someone else's review, it actually is like Skyrim with guns.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    I would like to hear more from any who bought this game. I am unable to play first person shooters but my brother loves them. I have been on the fence about buying this for him but the problem is he crushes these kind of games fast and then I feel like it wasn't worth the cash. Would love some insight.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Considering trading in Skyrim to help pay for this. Worth it?
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not too far into it yet, but so far it's really fun. I'm not huge on first person shooters, so its taking a little getting used to.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Against my better judgement, i went out and bought Far Cry 3. I barely touched the story and instead explored. I ended up playing most of last night and 6 days have passed in game. Random observations:

- Hunting is compulsive.

- Using a high powered sniper rifle against a deer is far more satisfying than it has any right to be.

- The game has its own eco-system. Animals will "hunt" each other. The game designers putting the Pig area right next to the Rabid Dog area probably wasnt the best idea, but is hilarious.

- On that same thought, a war is going on. Various times ive joined an assault on a small area or had my faction attack the group i was trying to kill for a mission. Interesting.

- Much like Mass Effects Illusive man and Assassin's Creed 3s Hathway Kenway, Vaas steals whatever scene hes in. Iconic character.

- The "tag" system is awesome. Best use of that type of system ive seen in a game. I start out any mission/camp assault by tagging everyone i can.

- The "get twice as many plants from one harvest" is the best skill ive put points into. The "heal 2 bars without medicine" is easily the worst. I also wouldnt recommend the "harvest twice as many skins from a single animal" skill(i skipped it). Gear acquisition isnt to difficult and once i get my gear i cant see skinning every again.

- Insane first person combat mechanics, just outstanding job. Feels organic and fluid, and when i mess up its usually my own fault. It should only get better as i level up. How is it an RPG gets it down better then most FPS?

- How can anyone play this game and NOT go stealth/sniper? Im usually more of a run-and-gun type player, but the stealth in this game is just to useful.

- **** you Komodo dragons. Every single one of you ****ers.

- Ive only done 2 of the 18 towers, but they are pretty awesome. Tricky to navigate but never unfair. Challenging.

- Tigers are walking tanks. I sniped one in the head twice and the body once...still was up and walking around. Had to run in with an assault rifle to down him even after those shots.

- Leopards are no joke either. Easier to kill but holy hell can they down you quick.

Best thing in this game is the random occurrences. Ive stalked along the coast and used a scope to zoom intoa sheltered area to see pirates executing helpless hostages. Ive been hunting and heard prisoners pleading for their life as they are held at gunpoint forced to march towards a slave camp. Ive fought pirates in the open only for a animal to "clever girl" me. The way the game keeps you guessing and lets you witness how unethical these people are is awesome.

Worst thing? Komodo dragons. **** those things.

I have no idea if this game will keep my interest. Im notoriously awful at finishing or even getting my moneys worth out of open world games. As well, im not the biggest fan of first person shooters. But so far im hooked. So far i plan on putting points into all the trees but focusing on a medic/sniper type build.
    Would like to see how others are playing it and what they are focusing on. Valandui?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nina told me I can only get one new game over the next few weeks, and I was leaning towards waiting for Dead Space 3. I tend to agree with Spesh when it comes to Xbox games though, so I might have to pick this up instead and figure out a way to ninja Dead Space 3 in February. Risky though. I'd rather not go a week without sex, and that's what I'm up against...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Nina told me I can only get one new game over the next few weeks, and I was leaning towards waiting for Dead Space 3. I tend to agree with Spesh when it comes to Xbox games though, so I might have to pick this up instead and figure out a way to ninja Dead Space 3 in February. Risky though. I'd rather not go a week without sex, and that's what I'm up against...
    I love my games too Locke but I wont give up a week of sex
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper1016 View Post
    I love my games too Locke but I wont give up a week of sex

Only if she catches me. But lets be honest, I'm not sure she could go a week without either, so it'll probably only be a day or 2...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Only if she catches me. But lets be honest, I'm not sure she could go a week without either, so it'll probably only be a day or 2...
    So what im gathering from this conversation is...you get to have your cake and eat it to. See ya online!

Anyways, so i jumped on today and got a bit frustrated. Was knocking out alot of the side stuff and towers. Wasnt bad and the fort takedowns are straight up awesome(except for the effing tigers who love to "clever girl" you. Think out of the 5 forts i took i had to dodge tigers outside 3 of them), but it was getting a bit tedious. It didnt help that i did exactly what your not encouraged to do: avoid the main story. I jumped into it, and drudged onwards. Met some great characters, enjoyed the conversations, but it was nothing to write home about. I was getting ready to jump on here and talk about it when i decided to finish up a mission. And experienced the greatest thing in gaming history.

You are required to destroy some of the pirates drugs. Your given a flamethrower to accomplish this. Hilarity ensues. Video i found of it, you'll know its not me because the guy filming it isnt giggling nonstop. Also i used my sniper rifle and my aim kept getting "zoned out" for reasons that will be obvious if you choose to click it. Obviously spoilerish.

Hitting the main story mission now and having a blast. 10 hours in and am just denting the game apparently. Progress is only at 34%. About my only major beef is its a bit linear. Unlike Skyrim or even Mass Effect so far you cant choose, by and large, how to finish missions. As well, you cant choose conversation options. Its more like a vastly superior and more interesting Dead Island. Maybe it will change, i am just making a dent in the actual story. And for one mission i did get to choose if i wanted to "confront the cheating husband or tell the wife", so its clear they introduced a choice mechanism in some regards.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what kind of comp specs do you have, Spesh?

i want to get this game, as I loved Skyrim, but i am not sure if my computer can run it smoothly and effectively.
    Quote Quote